Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2013, 08:27 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Tire gauge, valve extension question

We just traded coaches and our new-to-us coach has Accuride wheels with round holes. The dealer installed new Michelin tires as part of the deal and their installer did not put any extensions on the valves for the inner dual wheels. I can see the valve thru the round hole but just cannot get my gauge cleanly on the valve for a reading. I have this gauge:

I asked the dealer to install extensions and was told they don't use them since they are often a cause of leaks. They do not recommend them. My previous coach (2002 Journey with Freightliner custom Accuride wheels) did have rigid extensions on the inner duals since I used TST tire pressure sensors. This new coach has Smart Tire sensors inside the wheels so I'm good to go for that function.

I need a gauge that can be pushed straight onto the valve, one that does not have an angled fitting on the end. Do they make such a gauge?

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2013, 08:38 PM   #2

Most auto parts stores will have several to choose from, just make sure it will handle the psi of your tire. I have the same problem, I have both types of gauges, but still have problems. Had to take the wheel covers off to check them. I plan on getting extensions.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:21 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Yes, there is a tire guage pretty much like your's pictured, except the head straight on the outward pointing "port" ...same for the air chuck needed to add air to that position. Check a truck stop or good auto supply.

I have 4“ extensions on my inner duals with TireTraker tpms sensors, with the rubber stabilizers in the wheel holes to keep the extensions from flexing the stem while rolling. My wheels are Accuride w/round holes, and I prefer the Alcoa stabilizers. The only extension related problem I have had was a cracked valve stem when new, perhaps related to flexing from the extension ...there were no stabilizers on them then. You can see pics of the stabilizers on my site at Tire Date Codes/Tire Care
Old 04-30-2013, 09:46 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club

This is a MiltonS986 Straight tire gauge. Got mine at local truck tire shop.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:57 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
With valve extenders, there is always a possibility of leaks. I could buy the extra long pressure gauge but its next to impossible to get the cap off.
I just opted the extended valve stems. They where expensive, but worth it. No where near what a good TPMS would cost, and now its easy to check my pressure. I had the braided valve extentions, and I had to drag out the compressor every time I checked them.

With these new valve stems, no leaks, no batteries to change, nothing to malfunction or break.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:01 AM   #6

I would install the extensions myself or go to camping world or Cummings Bridgeway. Almost all of the coaches I have looked at have an extension for the inside tire.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:02 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If you prefer no extensions, and do not have tpsm sensors on the valve stems, I would get Alligator caps "that is the name" ...they are apx $5 ea I believe, metal, dual seal, high pressure valve caps that allow you to check pressure and add air w/o removing the cap ...super for that inside dual location. There are knock-offs, but Alligator are the best I have found.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:09 AM   #8

Dump your current guestimate gage and buy yourself a good quality truckers tire gage. Your tires will thank you for the decision. Plus you will not need dangerous extensions as a good truckers gage will allow you to reach into the inner tire to get a reading.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:40 AM   #9
srh

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
If you prefer no extensions, and do not have tpsm sensors on the valve stems, I would get Alligator caps "that is the name" ...they are apx $5 ea I believe, metal, dual seal, high pressure valve caps that allow you to check pressure and add air w/o removing the cap ...super for that inside dual location. There are knock-offs, but Alligator are the best I have found.
This looks great! Can a TPMS be mounted on it? Also, is there a special air chuck that can screw on it as well for airing the tire?
Thanks,
Old 04-30-2013, 10:44 AM   #10

OK, you have checked the air in the tires and found one on the inside to be low. How do you get at it with the air hose?
Old 04-30-2013, 03:51 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackfish View Post
OK, you have checked the air in the tires and found one on the inside to be low. How do you get at it with the air hose?
They have a air chuck with the straight end. I bought just the chuck, did not need the gauge and hose extension.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:56 PM   #12

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
When I changed from steel wheels to Alcoa's I got the factory extensions and rubber biscuit supports. Have not had any trouble with them. I did add flow through caps since I didn't want to fool with taking the caps on and off each time I wanted to check pressures. Got the caps at NAPA. They keep the dirt out and allow quick checks of the pressure each day.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:36 AM   #13

Most motorhome dealers and supply stores stock flexible extensions that are prone to leakage. Most truck tire dealers carry a variety of shapes and sizes of rigid extensions and valve stems.
We changed the valve stems and extensions on our previous motorhome to accomodate a TPMS system and to make adding air less of a chore. It looks like we're going to have to add a couple extensions on the inner duals of our new motorhome
Old 05-05-2013, 08:23 AM   #14

These guys sell a very high quality line of valve stems for motorhome use. They also have a quality line of brass extensions if you are not it the market for tires yet & don't want to dismount your tires.

http://yourtireshopsupply.com/catego...lly-valve-kits

Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote