Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-24-2014, 07:38 AM   #29
Originally Posted by 2-lane View Post
First off, my question was how to overcome the lack of an inflation chart. To respond "go look at an inflation chart" is no answer. Or to 'bite the bullet" and go buy good tires, that's a real doozy of a reply. Samsons are widely used around the world, and priced right. I have found a solution, just put 400 miles on them, so on to the next challenge.

Since inflation tables are almost identical between tire manufacturers try this.

1. Look on the sidewalk of your tire and record the max carry weight and the minimum psi required to carry that weight.
2. Look up one of the major manufacturers inflation table on their web site.
3. Look for their tire of the same size and Load Range as your tire.
4. If the max weight and psi are equal then I would use that table for my tires.

I expect that the data will be very close. You can always add 5-10 psi as insurance.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

Steve Ownby
Full time since 2007
2003 Monaco Signature
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2014, 08:18 AM   #30
Commercial Member
Originally Posted by Bouchbri25 View Post
how do I know what to inflate my tires to if there's no chart? I bought Roadlux R216 225/70 19.5 last year and I checked the pressure today with a digital tire gauge at roughly 70-72.5 PSI (45 on passenger inside rear wheel and driver front at 82.5). I know I should weight it etc. to get the correct pressures but even if I do, I can't find a chart. I assumed the tire dealer inflated them correctly when they were installed but now that they're so far off from each other I'm not sure where to even begin.

The max load is 95PSI but what should I inflate to if no chart?
Can I get it weighed at my town transfer station? if not, can I get it weighed at a highway truck weigh station or are the troopers there just gonna look at me funny?
What you know from those readings even without a published chart from Sampson is that you have run the passenger inside dual "flat" for an unknown number of miles because you 1. Do not have a TPMS and 2 Have failed to check your air each travel day.
There is a good probability that that tire may fail prematurely. It should be inspected (dismounted and internal inspection included) and the dealer should issue a written statement that tthe tire shows no signs of damage. That is still no guarantee as most damage that cause tire failures is done to the internal structure which can only be reviewed with X-Ray or other specialized inspection
I included links in THIS post showing the special inspections being done.

Depending on where you live or travel you can get the side to side loads by using a worksheet from THIS site using the platform weights. CAT scales may have guard rail that prevents one side weights. Here is a post on getting weights for FREE.

You should check pressure with a gauge the morning of each travel day (tires at ambient i.e. not driven on or in Sun for two hours). A TPMS will solve this problem and would have saved you the cost of the flat tire if you had had one.

Retired Design & Quality Tire Eng. Read my tire blog RVTireSafety.com to learn more about RV tires, valves & wheels. Read THIS post on why Tires Fail
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote