Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2010, 05:15 PM   #1

tire inflation problem

Hi everyone.....'03 Journey DL with 22.5 Toyo tires. Just aired all tires but have a problem with one. Chassis air has inflated 5 tires with no problem, but will not air 6th. 105 in fronts no problem, outside r/r 100, no problem, inside r/r will not fill....both l/r fill to 100, no problem. I go back to r/r inside, still will not fill. I removed the valve stem, can not see anything wrong, tire gauge reads 84 lbs but when I connect the air fill no air flows. Any ideas? Should I try switching valve with another one from another tire?....and why can I remove the valve without the tire completely deflating?

In a jam in Picyune MS

Marinelender is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2010, 10:12 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Since you can remove the valve without letting the air out of the tire it sounds like there is something inside the tire that has blocked the valve stem from the inside. Sometimes different powders or beads are put inside the tire for balance puposes and they can end up blocking the valve stem. I understand that they make special valve stems for using with internal balance beads or powder. My recommendation is to take it to a tire shop that deals in truck tires and break the tire down and fix it correctly.

Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:24 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinelender View Post
Hi everyone.....'03 Journey DL with 22.5 Toyo tires. Just aired all tires but have a problem with one. Chassis air has inflated 5 tires with no problem, but will not air 6th. 105 in fronts no problem, outside r/r 100, no problem, inside r/r will not fill....both l/r fill to 100, no problem. I go back to r/r inside, still will not fill. I removed the valve stem, can not see anything wrong, tire gauge reads 84 lbs but when I connect the air fill no air flows. Any ideas? Should I try switching valve with another one from another tire?....and why can I remove the valve without the tire completely deflating?

In a jam in Picyune MS
do you have valve stem extenders on the inbd tire?
i had this problem sometimes and resolved it with a different inflator, the psiclops from vulcan. it is unique in that you can inflate 2 tires at a time. my psiclops works very well to inflate both fronts together and the rear duals together.
i run 88 psi all around with the tst pressure-temperature sensor system monitoring continuously. i have the original tst system with 5 year batteries in the sensors. the problems i have had with the tst system were resolved quickly by tst customer service.
i was never able to get 88 all around until i got the psiclops.

Vulcan Tire Sales - PsiClops Tire Gauges - Tires, Tire Chains, Tire Gauges, Tire Shine and More... Falken - Goodyear - Pirelli - Roadmaster - Avon

Truck System Technologies, Inc
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:25 AM   #4

Mike/Dan...Thanks for your responses....there should be no balance beads in the tires. I bought all six last week in Mesa, AZ before starting this trip and didn't order or pay for them, and the stem has been at 12 o'clock while I've been fussing with it...no extenders either. I'm going to call a truck tire guy as soon as he opens. Wish me luck.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:34 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Jim, that is the best thing since you just had the tires installed. Let us know what you find out. I would recommend calling the guys that installed the tires and tell them what is happening and let them pay for the fix.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:58 AM   #6

Mike....I like your idea but wouldn't bet on it happening....unfortunately none of the work that was done out there was top notch (windshield replaced is now leaking rainwater). I just spoke with local tire shop, they said I do have extenders since I was able to remove what I thought was the valve without air blowing out of tire. Their road man will be here in two hours. I'll let you know what they find.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:16 PM   #7

We learn something new everyday

..........and today we learned that when you pay thousands of dollars for six new tires you can't assume that the dealer taking your money and installing those tires is responsible enough to spend an extra 12 dollars on new valve extensions. It was a faulty seven year old valve extension that caused our problem. Fortunately for us, the dealer who located and corrected the issue (Delta Tire Service in Picayune MS.) was super honest, and charged us a very fair amount for their labor and two new extensions (yes, the inner tire on the left side also had an old extension). Live and learn. Anyway, day 12 of our adventure finds us parked under a moss covered oak, backed up to a beautiful Mobile Bay in Gulf Shores AL.....Life is Good...thanks for your earlier responses.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:49 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Are you talking about the valve stem that fits into the wheel or the long flexible extension that screws onto the valve stem? The valve stem would be the responsibility of the dealer that changed your tires but the long flexible extension replacement it looked at being the owners responsibility to replace.

Glad you are liking the MS Shores. Yes, it is beautiful there
Old 07-20-2010, 09:41 AM   #9

Hi Mike....It was the extension. As I said...live and learn. I thought by paying whatever the dealer asked for the tires, buying 6 when he said we only needed 4, having engine, trans and generator serviced before we picked it up, and emphasizing the fact that we wanted to have no problems on a 2400 mile ride home that he would have a cheap but important part like valve stem extensions replaced. Unfortunately we didn't even know such a thing existed, so never thought to check them. Anyway, today we are in Gulf Shores AL, life is good. Thanks again for your posts.
Old 07-20-2010, 10:37 AM   #10

I very much sympathize!

Marinelender,

We just bought our first RV and had a similar experience to yours. It's used so I wanted the 8 yr old tires replaces. I also had it inspected and knew I needed a new rear shock, steering stabilizer, the generator looked at the brake fluid bleed and replaced.

$3800 later we picking up my previously excellent driving RV. It clanked and had such a harsh ride I wondered what was wrong. But there had been a delay in the parts coming so we were right on the day we needed to leave to make a family wedding 1200 miles away. So I weighed it, adjusted the tire pressure way down to close to where it should be (blamed that for the harsh ride) and off we went on the 2400 mile trip.

On the first day the inner dual tire extender broke off somewhere along the way. The other side was hanging off. Who knows if any damage was done to the valve stem in the tire with all this happening. They hold air but the extender attachment was literally ripped in half so there was alot of pressure put on that valve stem. The other side just fell off the wheel so bounced around for hundreds of miles, also putting pressure on the valve stem.

We had to spend time looking for replacements which weren't found until the 5th or 6th day when we went in to have it realigned. The shop had done such a terrible job on the alignment that it danced all over the road at 50 mph and I couldn't drive it over 60. $100 later we had our previously good driving RV back except the new shocks (Bilsteins) ride like iron bars. Sigh....

I too thought when buying seven (since we replaced the spare) brand new tires they would have installed new tire extenders that actually stayed on the vehicle. The ones that were on there were obviously used but hard to know if they were the ones on it previously since I didn't look at them that hard. But also hard to understand why they didn't stay on as if they were there previously they had been for years so no reason they should fall off now unless they were poorly installed. Sigh....

On my receipt the shop I went to farmed out both the tire install and the alignment. The stuff they actually worked on seemed to turn out pretty good as I can't really blame them for the Bilsteins riding like iron bars unless they put the wrong ones on. I'm checking that now....

Best of luck!
Michelle
micd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:24 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Michelle, what do you mean by the MH danced all over the place at 50 MPH? It was wandering around or it was vibrating?

There are two models of Bilsteins. I would highly recommend the "Comfort" version.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:41 PM   #12

Dancing motorhome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
Michelle, what do you mean by the MH danced all over the place at 50 MPH? It was wandering around or it was vibrating?

There are two models of Bilsteins. I would highly recommend the "Comfort" version.
Mike,
Dancing was the best term I could come up with. Basically we got a bum alignment and my previously dream like drive turned into a motorhome that seemed to skip back and forth within the lane. I guess you could also characterize it as very quick wandering from side to side. Very unstable. I got white knuckled at 60 so didn't go over that. 50 mph was all I could hang on to.

I did specify the "Comfort" Bilsteins. This morning I went to the Bilstein web site but could only find one spec. sheet from Bilstein with one set of part numbers so I suspect that is what I got.
http://www.bilsteinus.com/Motorhomes0608.pdf

I'm having the shop check to make sure the right ones were put on but unless I can point to a "Comfort Shock" part number I'm out of luck with getting them changed out. Any insight you can give me would be much appreciated.

Michelle
Old 07-20-2010, 03:19 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Looked up your shocks on several sites and those parts numbers are correct and yes they only make HD shocks for yours. New shocks take a while to break in so they will get a little softer. Have you checked that your tire pressures are correct for the weight of your MH?
Old 07-20-2010, 07:35 PM   #14

Honestly I don't know

Hi Mike,

We put Hankook tires on. There were only 5 Bridgestone M724s available locally and the Goodyear tires were date coded back to 2008.

I couldn't find a weight vs. inflation table on line for Hankook so I wrote them an e-mail. I just recently got a reply back but there table did not include the tires we bought, 8R19.5s. So I wrote back. No response yet.

In the mean time we did weigh the motor home. 4800 lbs in the front and 8200 lbs in the back fully loaded for a 10 day trip. Using the chart provided by Goodyear we were off the low end so had to guess. The previous owner ran his tires at 70 psi all around so we did try that with a better handling over bumps than the 90+ psi put in by the tire installers.

The door chart on the motor home says 65 lbs for 5300 lbs in front and 10,000 lbs in back so maybe we should try that but being that it is 16 years old and tire technology may have changed we were nervous to go that low.

Until we hear from Hankook or find a chart for them I think were just guessing...

Michelle