Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-10-2009, 01:22 PM   #15
I am fortunate to use my motorhome on an average of once a month. I do have a question about covering the tires though. My motorhome is stored outside in a California climate that reaches 100 in the summer and the 30s in the winter. It is parked in such a way that there is never direct sun on the tires. Do you feel it would be beneficial to cover them while the motorhome is parked?

ronyrhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2009, 01:30 PM   #16
Fleetwood Owners Club
From what we have been told, use of the tires is the one thing that will ensure a long life from weathering. Using the tires creates a flexing that allows the tires to self lubricate. I think many cover the tires when they are unused for lenghty periods, are in dry rot weather conditions or just want that added protection.

Fleetwood Providence 2008 40e
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel 6.0L 2006
Honda CR-V 2006
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:06 PM   #17

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I read these tire threads with great interest.

Here is my latest disaster, last friday morning at 6:30 am exiting I-10 at Gulfport MS. I just had driven 300 hundred miles from south Georgia. I had the turn signal on and I was down to 50 mph. It was cool and, once again, it was an inner right rear dual. Pressure was at 98 psi and the tire temperature was 85 degrees (I have the TST mointoring system). This was second blow out this year. No abnormal indications on either blowout event. Smooth roads both times. The first blowout was just coming out of a construction zone, accelerating. No damage either time, except to my ego.

The sidewall blowout

The tire "born date"- 24th week of '07

Thread picture - about six thousand miles

Michelin and I are now in discussions---
Max H,
2002 Newmar Mountain Aire, 37', 3778, W-22, 8.1 Vortac, Ultra Power upgrade, CAI (cold air intake), Taylor wires, colder plugs, Koni shocks.
Max Hubrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:16 PM   #18
Lots of luck; their reasons to not warrenty a tire is a mile long.
they will start something like----you ran over something; or maybe, ran up against a cerb; their lists are endless.
Ive blown 3 (at last count).
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:20 PM   #19
by looking at your pictures they will say you ran over somethimng.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 12:27 AM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
Originally Posted by robert h View Post
by looking at your pictures they will say you ran over somethimng.
Without any doubt. Tire is in great shape besides the hole in the side caused by a foreign object and on the right rear, the most common place.
Tom, Patty, Hannah "The Big Dog" and Abby Kat, Indianapolis, Indiana 2000 36' FDS 72232 Our Photos
We live out in our old van. Travel all across this land. Drive until the city lights dissolve into a country sky, me and you - hand in hand.
Tom and Patty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 06:28 PM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hello folks--with good news---

The "Michelin Man" was here at the dealership last Wednesday, a week ago. He was going to look at my tire and he didn't get around to it .

I've been waiting for a call from the dealer in Gulfport for over a week (we are here for the winter, only about 5 miles from the dealer). Today I went by the dealer and came out of the store with a great big smile on my face. Chris, the store manager, said Michelin must have other things on their mind right now. He said we're going to replace your tire and I'll deal with Michelin later. He said Michelin was going to pay for the service call (although they didn't know about that yet). They came out to the RV park this afternoon and mounted a new tire on my old spare (which I paid for, at the price I paid two years ago) and in twenty minutes I was done. Both new tires have a mid October, '09 born date on them.

Hey, that's above great service--it's fantastic! I'm tickled to death. I'm going to run all my tires at 105-110psi cold from now on. 110psi is the max cold pressure allowed for this tire (235/80 22.5 XRV). I was running at 90 to 95psi. We'll see what happens at that pressure.

I read a thread here on iRV2 recently and, of course, I can't locate it right now for a quote. The writer said something like this--
" a long time ago I had a blow out in Tennessee on the interstate. An old crusty tire guy came out and said your probably running Michelins, your valve extender is riveted to the wheel cover and it's the right rear, inside dual".

"BINGO" that sounds like me. Both my blowouts this year were on the RR inner location.Then he told the chap to inflate the tires to the max allowable because you never know exactly what your weight is. The writer said he has done exactly that for years now and has had no more problems. Now that I think about it, with a rig my size,37' 11" long, a long rear overhang, roads with crowns on them, almost always to the right side , I can see why extra stress is placed on the RR inner dual. It probably works harder than the other 5 tires do. I think rigs with tag axles don't experience this type of stress on RR inner duals. Comments from readers, and engineers, on this theory (and its only a theory for me) please.

I will now, after having two blowouts this year on the right rear inner dual,
ascribe to that theory.

For those interested in the dealership I was working with- here it is:

TCI Tire Centers
9259 Canal Road
Gulfport, Ms 39503
Tel. 228-863-1888

The manager is Chris

Get off of I-10 at the Canal Road Mississippi exit, go South about .3 of a mile and they are on the left (East) side, just past the Shell station. Flying J is on the right just as you get off the interstate. Stop and get some fuel at Flying J, ease on down about .1 of a mile south and pull into their large facility with plenty of room to drive around. Be nice and polite and be patient-- Good things can happen . Tell Chris I said hello- He is from eastern NC, close to where our home is.

Cheers and happy traveling to all our iRV2 friends-- Happy Thanksgiving and a great Christmas and New Year!
Max H,
2002 Newmar Mountain Aire, 37', 3778, W-22, 8.1 Vortac, Ultra Power upgrade, CAI (cold air intake), Taylor wires, colder plugs, Koni shocks.
Max Hubrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 06:44 AM   #22
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Max, and others,

I have the same tire as you and, per the instruction sticker on the driver's door, my tires always have been inflated to 90 psi for the front and 85 for the back.

I've seen a number of threads, and even on the Michelin web site, saying that my tires should be inflated to the max weight when I'm loaded, 100-110 psi front, lower in the back.

Since I've never lost so much as ONE PSI in the entire life time of these tires (I know that sounds crazy, but it's true), why should I change the inflation at this point? Also, why was the sticker with the lower inflation rates installed at the Winnebago factory if the pressures weren't correct? My tires look as if they are brand new with about 24,000K miles on them and no evidence of cracking. When on the road, I'm at full load (22,000K lbs) with a 3,600 lb TOAD.

Denny & Kylene, Abby (Golden) and Josie (Sheltie),
2004 Itasca Suncruiser 38R, W22, Ultrapower
2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
golden is offline   Reply With Quote