Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2009, 02:14 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Tire Life Expectancy (RV's)

Good-Year states:

Goodyear RV Tires - Tire Care: Tire and Sidewall Weathering

- Usage per year - more frequent usage will result in longer life
- Vehicle storage practices (6 months loaded with little or no rotation is not good!)
- Usage in warmer climates can also negatively impact a tire's overall life due to greater extreme ozone exposure
- RVIA (Recreational Vehicle Industry Association) says, ”Statistics indicate that the average life of an RV tire is five to seven years.“
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2009, 07:36 AM   #2

I believe all of this is good information, however when I did my research for replacement tires most said to purchase new ones at 7 years or prior which I did. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman_777 View Post
Good-Year states:

Goodyear RV Tires - Tire Care: Tire and Sidewall Weathering

- Usage per year - more frequent usage will result in longer life
- Vehicle storage practices (6 months loaded with little or no rotation is not good!)
- Usage in warmer climates can also negatively impact a tire's overall life due to greater extreme ozone exposure
- RVIA (Recreational Vehicle Industry Association) says, ”Statistics indicate that the average life of an RV tire is five to seven years.“
Willynojob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:40 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Michelin recommends that from the five year point on that their tires be inspected yearly by an authorized Michelin dealer.
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:54 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Michelin has told me that that the life expectancy of my replacement XRV tires is 10 years.
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:13 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Driver , Did he have a straight face when he made that statement?

Mike
mfire1339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 12:13 PM   #6

Just replaces tires!

I just bought new tires this summer after about 5 years. The old ones had cracks in the sidewalls. I will not take a chance on tires!
mdshedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 12:39 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
The "Life" of a tire is affected by so many different aspects that you can not define the "Life" of a tire. Sun, Ozone, exposure to vapor lights, exposure to water, ground contact materials, mileage, weight loading, inflation pressure (low and high), temperature (both static and operating), speed, chemicals, hazards and Father Time!

Goodyears river, Michelins zipper, Toyos explode and so on and so on. Yes you can have a Dealer inspect your tires and if they do anything other than take them off the rims and inspect both interior and exterior, it is a waste of your time. You would do as well to visually and physically inspect them yourself.

The majority of all motor home tires wear out with time long before they do with mileage. The variables could make the time factor anywhere between 4 and 10 years. You spend your money and take you chances.

PS,

RVIA needs to learn that an average number is not a range between two numbers, it is a finite number!

It has always amazed me of the stories of "I would never own a Goodyear as a steer tire, they all river", followed by 5 Guys telling you they have 50K miles with no rivering.

Also, the Guy that says "Michelin is the best tire, period", followed by the 5 Guys that have had zipper blowouts and would never own another.

A story told once is a story, a story told twice is a rumor, a story told 3 times is a fact.
Old 10-03-2009, 03:52 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stewart View Post
A story told once is a story, a story told twice is a rumor, a story told 3 times is a fact.
AMEN Brother !! Also reminds me of my favorite saying: "Opinions are like --------. everybody's got one".
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 04:08 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
The funny things about tires are the fact that the outside of the tire is not always indicative of what the inside of the tire looks like. I have heard and read many of the comments in this post as well as the information from many of the tire manufacturers. Most manufacturers say 7 years is the maximum tire life expectancy. I believe that this should be used as a determining factor. One other factor is your safety which most of the time out-weights the latter. Get yourself a quality tire pressure monitoring system and change your tires every 7 years. If not for yourself, for your friends, families. Safe travels.
chiefdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:53 PM   #10

The more a tire is used; the longer it will last; like people, tires, need exerzize.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 06:06 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Michelin also says:
Quote:
...most tires will need replacement before they
achieve 10 years
It's in the Michelin RV Tire Guide.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:10 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
Michelin has told me that that the life expectancy of my replacement XRV tires is 10 years.
Keith Radford from Michelin USA out of Greenville, SC came to our rally in support of the Workhorse Chassis Motorhome Club Rally. He not only told me but he also shared with the 100 or more attendees in the seminar that Michelin RV tires will require replacement at 10 years from the DOT code stamped on the tire. I can not recall that there was any distention in the room toward this statement. Surely these folks were not left without opinion as Keith concluded his seminar.

In Keith's remarks he stressed that side wall inspections using a provided window graphic card will assist owners in determining the condition of their sidewalls. If a person doesn't feel comfortable doing that a Michelin dealer can assist an owner in determining the condition of their tires.

Previously we were all to understand that Michelin RV tires required replacement at the 5 year mark. I replaced my OE XRVs at approximately the 5 year mark because I thought is was the responsible thing to do as a matter of safety for ourselves and other people traveling the highways. I currently have tires that are under 10 year maximum replacement schedule and I will abide by that replacement schedule.

Exercising tires as posted by "Robert H" is a key component to longevity with any tires. The enemy of tires is allowing them to sit under a load for extended periods of time. Underinflation while running on the road is pilot error and tires may blow, zipper or fail if this condition is allowed to stand. Tire may fail for reasons other than inflation however I favor putting myself in the best position to allow my tires to survive. I also run a TPMS so we can keep on top of the inflation issue.

Covering tires ... not too important in my opinion but if it feels good do it. If you are storing your vehicle for 4 or more months at a time, the simple act of moving the tires 1/2 of a rotation will help the tire survive the storage. Raising the RV on its jacks and removing weight off of the tire is also an effective measure to not allow the tire to become damaged by an extended static load.

Tires are designed to go round and round under load. Having them sit for extended periods of time kills tires. Run them like you stole them applies here as well and is not limited to tires, it also applies to brakes, generators and a half dozen or more RV systems.

If you have any questions at all about your tires call the experts at Michelin USA, call 800-847-3435.
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:26 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just a comment on the above post: Never have your jacks put the wheels in the air.
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:51 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman_777 View Post
Just a comment on the above post: Never have your jacks put the wheels in the air.
Don't think DriVer was suggesting that, just to use jacks to take some weight off tires. I always level my coach out when I store, and that definitely takes stress off the tires. I do agree though that jacks are not meant to take the wheels off the ground. Unfortunately I have seen threads about changing tires where people recommend using the jacks for that purpose.
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote