Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2005, 03:02 PM   #1

Saturday morning we departed Charlottesville VA with the intention of getting home in two days. We planned to stop north of Pittsburgh for the night. We listened to the weather forecast on the radio and concluded that we didn't want to stay overnight with snow falling. So, we pushed on and just before 9PM arrived home - 638 miles for the day.

Before we departed I checked the tire pressures - which had been checked several times over the past week and were also checked by Freightliner when we had service in Gaffney on Wednesday. They said the pressures were a bit high and lowered them. When we fueled at the Flying J at Winchester VA I checked the temperatures with my infra-red thermometer and they seemed OK.

I went out today - 36 hours after yesterday's departure and found the fronts were down from 110 to 100, the outside rears were down to 90ish from 100, BUT I was horrified by the inside rears. One was 50 psi and the other 75. I'm at a loss to explain this. Sure it is much cooler (well, cold) here than VA but that does not explain what has happened.

The tires are, of course, XRV's - and now I'm wondering when I'll dump them for GY's or Toyo's.

Has anyone else experienced this type of air loss? Needless to say it has me worried. I've inflated them back to 105 front and 100 rear (coach now empty) and will be monitoring daily.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2005, 03:02 PM   #2

Saturday morning we departed Charlottesville VA with the intention of getting home in two days. We planned to stop north of Pittsburgh for the night. We listened to the weather forecast on the radio and concluded that we didn't want to stay overnight with snow falling. So, we pushed on and just before 9PM arrived home - 638 miles for the day.

Before we departed I checked the tire pressures - which had been checked several times over the past week and were also checked by Freightliner when we had service in Gaffney on Wednesday. They said the pressures were a bit high and lowered them. When we fueled at the Flying J at Winchester VA I checked the temperatures with my infra-red thermometer and they seemed OK.

I went out today - 36 hours after yesterday's departure and found the fronts were down from 110 to 100, the outside rears were down to 90ish from 100, BUT I was horrified by the inside rears. One was 50 psi and the other 75. I'm at a loss to explain this. Sure it is much cooler (well, cold) here than VA but that does not explain what has happened.

The tires are, of course, XRV's - and now I'm wondering when I'll dump them for GY's or Toyo's.

Has anyone else experienced this type of air loss? Needless to say it has me worried. I've inflated them back to 105 front and 100 rear (coach now empty) and will be monitoring daily.

Old 04-24-2005, 07:57 PM   #3

......when they checked the pressure they might have had the tire valve stick open slightly....they should use spit to check for valve leakage whenever they check air pressure....this happens all the time if you are useing EQUAL to balance your tires and sometimes it is just dirt/rust that sticks the valve open.....'course it could be 2 nails-how lucky are you anyway?......geofkaye
Old 04-25-2005, 06:01 AM   #4

I'm not using equal - unless factory used it. The strange thing is both major problems were inside tires. Weather is lousy but I'm going to go out to check them shortly.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:33 AM   #5

Don,do you have the valve extenders on your rear inside tires? If you do this could be the problem.
Joe

An Indian and a Gypsy
full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 10:13 AM   #6

Yes Joe, I have. I asked FTL to check them last Wednesday since I was losing air on the inside right rear and was wondering if that was the cause. I'm now wondering if he perhaps tightened them - in the wrong direction. I just checked them - down to under 50 psi again in a day. I'm starting to feel very concerned and wondering what to do. Getting at the extenders is not easy. I'm going to go out (it is cold as h*ll now) and try and tighten them. If they continue to drop I'll take them off and see if that makes a difference. If nothing works I'll call CoachNet - but don't really know what can be done on a service call.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:46 AM   #7

Well, they continued to drop from about 100 to the 70 range overnight. I removed the valve extensions this morning, reinflated to 100, now have to wait and see. Not sure what I should do at this point if they drop again.

Is this the kind of thing one can all CoachNet for?
Old 04-28-2005, 09:06 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Don, I would assume Coachnet could be called for leaking tire. Their service provides for tire repair. I would ask a couple of questions first though. Can you place some soapy water on the tire valve now that you have the extender off and see if you get air bubbles. If you do, you got a bad main valve on the tire. If you dont, wouldnt it be better, if possible, to drive the rig to a truck tire repair facility.
Since the tires arent going flat immediately,
you shouldnt harm anything if you inflate them and have to drive a short distance.
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 05:07 PM   #9

If they are losing air now it is much less. The position of the valves makes it VERY difficult to check the pressure on the inside tires. The double headed chuck can't be angled properly. I may take it off and put on a lock on unit I have - but that will mean I'm half under the darn thing.

I took a good look at the extenders and the core in one was pretty corroded - which may explain a past air loss.

Sure hope they are still up in the AM.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:19 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I dont know if this will help or not, but they make different angled doble headed chucks. Some are straight on and some have about a 30degree angle. Would that help in being able to check the pressures? Also, can you take a cue tip or something soaked with soapy water and put it in there to see if you get bubbles on the original valves. Another thing you could do I guess is to buy new extenders and put them on so you can measure better and see if they work, if you are suspecting the old extenders.
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 08:05 PM   #11

I have a long shaft chuck with a slight angled head but it is still a PITA to use without extender. I bougt two new extenders today (still no air loss - I do have two short extenders on - the domed type I took from my fronts so I could add air without killing myself - and they have always worked well) and will install them tomorrow. I may keep a couple of extras handy in case they have a short life span.
Old 04-30-2005, 06:22 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

If you call CoachNet, be aware that they provide road service & tire changing as part of your contract but do not pay for any actual repairs to your rig. If you have a bad valve or a leak around the tire bead, they will change the tire for a spare (if you have one) or replace the valve (if the service truck has one onboard) but you will be charged for any parts and also any extra labor specifically for the repair. So basically what you gain in your situation is getting the tire dismounted and remounted for "free".

If you cannot get at the valve yourself, you need a tire shop or service center that can remove wheel and tire and find out why it leaks.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 06:44 AM   #13

Getting the extenders off and replaced is not a problem - just get really dirty given the rain and the mud around the concrete pad (poor drainage). The rain stopped in the last hour and I'm about to go out and roll in the mud. If I had to get the dual wheels off - forget it - that has to be done by pros. The air pressure would hold up long enough for me to drive to a tire service location.
Old 04-30-2005, 07:15 AM   #14

Don
If you do not have the kind of extenders that screw on to the hub cap, make sure they are secure. I had and extender get lose from the clip and it fell in between my two rear tires and rubed the sidewalls. One blew out and I replaced the other. s/Toby