Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-11-2013, 08:36 PM   #15
Country Coach Owners Club
The 507 TST does not require the special wrench. The kit comes with a small allen wrench to secure them. Could someone steal them? sure. I set mine up with valve stems from Myers Tire Supply that only allows the end of the sensor to protrude on the front single and rear inner duals. Even I can't get to them without taking off the wheel. The outside duals could be stolen but what kind of low life RV'er would even think of that? At best he could take two, that is if I never heard the hissing sound of 110psi outside my bedroom windows before he left.

chuydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2013, 08:55 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Ok, so if you have standard sensors (special wrench) they are not easy to steal, but flow through (dont need to remove to add air) just spin off. Am I correct?
Thats about the size of it. The flow through sensors have a set screw on the side but it's just an allen head

US Navy Vet, Liberty Tree Member of Oath Keepers, NRA & VFW Life Member, Alaska EMT.
2009 Safari Cheetah 40 SKQ
2009 Winnebago Chalet 231CR
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:36 AM   #17
One thing that no one has mentioned is that it's at least suggested that you replace your rubber valve stems with metal ones before installing these sensors.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:58 AM   #18
The TPMS is well worth the money

I have the TireTraker TPMS. It cost less than a single tire, it shows all the pressures & temps, the batteries are replaceable & I could install it with out have to dismount the tires.

Yesterday I was going up a hill & heard a pop, the the wireless display unit sounded an audible alarm & started flashing. A quick look showed #5 (drivers side rear inboard) at 18 lbs pressure, I pulled over. It was indeed flat.
Without the TPMS I would have wondered about the noise, with it there was no doubt.

The TireTraker TPMS was well worth the $200 I spent on it
becida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:22 AM   #19
Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have TireTraker (which is TireMinder under another name). It works much better for me than my previous TST did. I particularly like the smaller and lighter sensors.
Paul (KE5LXU) ...was fulltimin', now parttimin'
'03 Winnebago UA 40e / '05 Honda Odyssey toad
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:42 AM   #20

Originally Posted by C-PHartley View Post
Question - What keeps someone from stealing the sending units? It seems that these are quite expensive to buy.

Yes, that could be a problem. "They" can steel about anything but I don't remember reading that this has been a reported problem - but I could be wrong. I had Doran Pressure Pro for several years then switched to TST. Both are good units but the older Pressure Pro did not read out tire temps like the TST does.
Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:06 AM   #21
Forest River Owners Club
I have the Tire Minder/Tire Tracker also (10 tires monitored----4 on Toad) I got the wired 12VDC Booster and mounted it in the rear clothes closet---wired it to the 12VDC that powers the closet light. The built-in LED on the booster shows thru the closet door just abit when the door is closed. Just enough to see the blinking from the front of MH--lets you know your 12VDC is ON, but not enough to bother you at night. Don't know if I needed the booster, but have had no comm. issues using it. I like the way it automatically reaquires the Toad air pressures when you hook back up. Other systems probably do this also. This system saved my bacon once already. Actually saved the cost of a new tire in the middle of nowhere West Texas. I had an inside passenger rear dual that developed a slow leak due to a cracked valve extender. Don't ever use valve extenders to get at the inside dual valves better ---That's my advice. Learned the hard way that centrifical force will cause any long valve extentions (even metal ones like I used) to put quite abit of force on the tire monitors where they screw into the extender. Used one on each inside dual for 1 month when my problem occurred. Metal valve extention cracked right at tire monitor sensor joint---developed slow leak. Tire Minder went off, and I pulled over right away. Stopping when being alerted to slow decrease in pressure saved the tire---nothing wrong with it. Went to unscrew the tire monitor and entire end of valve blew out in my hand--glad I was stopped. Went back to standard length metal tire valves on inside duals--no extenders. Harder to work with, but won't have any extender problems again. Tire Minder replaced the sensor free and the batteries are easy to replace also. If you have a sensor that starts to alarm, but your pressure tests OK with a guage--works OK for awhile, then alarms again, etc. It is bad--call company--they will usually replace free. Great company service--you just send back bad sensor when you get the new one. Had the system 2 years now--good so far.
Jim and Connie, Silver City, NM
2016 Rockwood Ultralite 2608WS
3 lb. Teacup Chihuahua on board
Radarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #22
Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
When using long solid metal extensions on inner duals, you need the rubber donut stabilizers made by Alcoa or Accuride to protect the valve stem from damage due to centrifigual force. I have run mine thousands of miles with the stabilizers. You can see some pics on my site at Tire Date Codes/Tire Care

Paul (KE5LXU) ...was fulltimin', now parttimin'
'03 Winnebago UA 40e / '05 Honda Odyssey toad
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote