Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2009, 11:10 AM   #1

Tire Pressure Monitoring System

I know this topic has been discuss before but I don't remember this question being ask. Has any one had a problem installing the tire monitoring sensors on a Alcoa aluminum wheel I would hate to order them and then not fit! The wheels are on a 07 Winnebago if that will help.
I have been looking at the system from Truck System Technologies(TST).
Also if you have had any trouble with this system?
Thanks for any and all comments

2007 Winnnebago Adventurer 38T
Want-a-be is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2009, 10:43 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Sonny

You should have no problems with Alcoa wheels. You might want to check out THIS thread in the same area here on IRV2 .. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/insta...stem-1663.html
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:03 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I have the aluminum wheels and Pressure Pro sensors.

However, the type of valve stem used can make a difference in convenience of installing the sensors. I added 180 degree extensions to my outer rears to make the sensor more accessible.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:42 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
While not an aluminum wheel issue, if your valve stem is aluminum versus brass, my TPMS manufacturer (Hopkins) recommends using teflon tape or pipe joint compound between the dissimilar metals as brass and aluminum may fuse together over time.
John
Old 08-02-2009, 01:20 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Question; has anyone sent the PressurePro tire monitoring sensors back to be refurbished and to who, mine are getting toward the end of there battery life.
Also are there any tire monitoring systems available with owner battery change features? I am trying to get a handle on it before it is time.

VIC (VE3IHK)
AUSSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 05:24 PM   #6

I don't know anything about sending back the Pressure Pro sensors.
On RV.Net they talk about a TPMS called Hawkshead that you can change the batteries in it your self, it also will read temp.
Good Luck

2007 Winnnebago Adventurer 38T
Want-a-be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:03 PM   #7
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have a member that is a TST distributor, and maybe he can offer some informtion.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:26 PM   #8

Is it really true???? $50 a sensor when the batteries die! Yikes

(From the TST website)

What happens when the sensor batteries do die?

As with all wireless systems, when the sensor batteries do finally die, you will need new sensors. At this time our sensors do not have user replaceable batteries.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:15 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Biggie--

I was told at the time when I purchased my TST system the sensors are on an exchange program for $25 each. The batteries are supposed to last approximately 5 years.

Member Ken Roberts might have further input (he's a TST distributor).

Mine (I have eleven- six on the coach, one on the coaches mounted spare and four on the toad) are all working well at one and a half years. I'll immediately post any failures that might occur. It sure is a pleasure now to periodically check the pressures on all eleven wheels while sitting in the coaches drivers seat listening to XM satellite music instead of crawling around in the mud and rocks and under the rear spare tire carrier. I'm located in rainey, coastal Maine for six months.

You have to decide how much peace of mind is worth to you----
Old 08-03-2009, 06:13 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We also had a thread about Hawkshead TPMS. I have the system and in 6,000 miles it's worked as it should. They are small enough so that mounting on a MH with any rim shouldn't be a problem. If a toad is involved, there is where the small size may be important. The batteries took 2 minutes per to "load". The price was definitely right (10 monitors)
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:28 AM   #11

$25 on an exchange...now I can handle that! That's more reasonable.
I've been in touch with Ken and I'm gonna go for it. Just gotta convince the DW.....timing is everything.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:45 AM   #12

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have had the Pressure Pro system for about 4 years now. Recently some sensors were starting to act like they had low signals as the monitoring process was taking longer and longer to pick them up.

I called Debbie at Pressure Pro (Doran) who suggested that by deleting the sensors from the system and then relocating them in other positions I could possibly extend the life a bit. She emailed a procedure for doing this as the manual can be a little misleading in this regard.

I completely deleted all sensors, mixed them up and installed them in different tire positions following the procedure. When I was done the system acted like new ( was reporting pressures in 5 minutes at all positions ) and I have had no trouble since.

And I believe replacement sensors are $25 each.

Also relevant is that Debbie emphasized using metal valve stems on the toad's tires due to the flexing that occurs with rubber stems.
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 04:17 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks WANT-A-BE for the tip on the Hawkshead TPMS, checked out there website & the product has some neat features.
Also thanks to H. MILLER for the user report on the TPMS.

VIC (VE3IHK)
05 ITASCA SUNRISE 33V
01 BUICK REGAL TOAD
AUSSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 06:10 PM   #14

In response to the OP. I have 22.5" Alcoa rims on my '98 Vectra. When I had the tires replaced I had the outside dual valve stems change to short stems with 45 degree bend. The earlier stems were longer and protruded into one of the holes in the rim. The inside dual stems did give me some problems. The TST tool interfered with the outside rim. I finally trimmed some of the wings off of of the tool. Still, if the tool is oriented wrong after tightening the monitor, I cannot remove the tool and must loosen the sensor, remove the tool , rotate it 180 degrees and retighten. You loose a small amount of air making this change and need to be sure you have more air than you need in the tire. If I'm lucky and have the tool oriented properly the first time then I just back off the sensor slightly to bleed the excess air from the tire.

I've now used the TPM's for about a month and don't know how I lived without them.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote