Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-14-2006, 02:55 PM   #1
Mid Atlantic Campers
I'd like to here a few opinions from all of you about the different tire monitor systems available today, PROS and CONS please. Are they worth the money, are they accurate and reliable, are they built for the long haul???

Steve, Pat, Hakbar, & Root Motor

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2006, 02:55 PM   #2
Mid Atlantic Campers
I'd like to here a few opinions from all of you about the different tire monitor systems available today, PROS and CONS please. Are they worth the money, are they accurate and reliable, are they built for the long haul???

Old 11-14-2006, 04:49 PM   #3
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Steve I have decided against the monitors based on my experience of having only one "slow leaker" (4lbs in 12 hrs) in six years of RVing. I am very religious about checking my tire pressure prior to each days drive; therefore I cannot justify the expense. I believe if you have a massive leak and the system detects the problem your tire is already down and ruined.

Fred and Bonnie
2005 Dolphin LX 6375
Abby, Ruffles & Scarlett, "The Cats"
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 02:31 AM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
Steve, do a search either on this web site or RV.NET. On one or the other or maybe both there was some extensive discussions about them. In many cases the general concensus was they aren't all that reliable. This was a year or so ago, so by now maybe the manufacturers have got the bugs out of them.

My own opinion is the same as Fred's. Before each trip I check with gauge and at each stop, rest stop's etc. along the way I always check every tire, visually, kick them, check for heat, etc. both on the coach and tow vehicle.

Get one of those infrared thermometers, they work really good.
Bob 2006 Monaco Camelot 40PDQ
US Navy Carrier Battlegroup 1959/1963
Summer in Colorado, Winter Texas Gulf Coast
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 05:25 AM   #5
Monaco Owners Club
Tire Sentry - I like it.
Several trips over several years with Tire Sentry, never a problem. Installed on Adventurer 35U, W22 and toad. Great peace of mind. Fine product.
I looked into what's available and decision was made on the following.
NO SHIPPING BACK AND FORTH FOR battery replacement. Batteries must be easily replaced by me where and when required, or when I want to years from now. Walk into a local store and buy your battery where ever you are. Must know condition of tire BEFORE RV/TIRE is moved/rolled (tire pressure is monitored even while parked).
Batteries are inexpensive and are purchased at any Drug, Convenience, Hardware store, etc. Locally priced at about $3 each or Internet as low as $1.62 each and these are for the long life Silver Oxide battery. Inexpensive to stock to have when you need them.

Batteries are at full "off" until a tire requires attention = long battery life.
All tires (10 in my case) are all on display. A quick glance is all it takes.
Each tire position is "Fully Adjustable (set) to the low pressure you want to be warned of".
If I have a 5 lb pressure drop in any tire pressure, I want to know about it, so I have my tires set at 5 lbs over recommended pressure. A 5 lb drop (to standard tire pressure) from any tire lights that tire position on the dash display along with audible warning. A tire is "never run below" recommended tire pressure before a warning is given.
Since batteries are at full "off" until a tire requires attention, this equals long battery life.
When a battery reaches a "low battery condition", that tire position becomes lit along with a "low battery" display. A low battery tire position is still operational for several weeks providing plenty of time for battery replacement at my convenience.

Once I have my tires inflated to the proper cold pressure, I could care less about tire pressure other than "if or when" a tire drops to standard recommended tire pressure. Until that happens, I know that I'm ok.

Pics available below.
Monaco Knight PDQ38,2007
RR8R Chassis, ISC330 Cummins
Logthumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 06:13 AM   #6
Newmar Owners Club
Currently, I use Pressure Pro and would not travel without a tire monitoring system on the coach and toad. The bottom line value of the system is to warn about a pressure variance of about 12% from the baseline you set when first installing the monitors. An additional value is I am able to check the tire pressure any time I want, from the monitor panel, in the cockpit.

The pressure monitors report tire pressure +/- 2 lbs from the manual guage I use when fulling the tires.

In the last two years, the system has warned me about one tire getting low on air. I was able to fix the problem (tighten the valve) add air and move on with no damage or further delay.

A monitoring system is especially helpful for toad tires. There are many stories of the damage caused by a toad tire loosing air and the coach driver has no idea.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 08:46 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Like GaryKD, I have a Pressure Pro (two years now) and love it, for the same reasons he does.

True, if a tire blows it is a goner anyway, but a monitor system can detect anything short of a blowout before serious damage is done. You don't always know when a tire is low and with duallys or a multi-axle trailer, you may not even know when a single tires fails completely. Have had that experience before and do not care to repeat it.

Checking tires before you travel is great procedure, but a TPMS makes that a simple task.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 05:30 PM   #8
Rather than repeat every thing got here TPMS for a full report. We use Pressure Pro on the MH and FROG. Seems to work well. I can not compare because I have never used any other system.
2002 Dutch Star 3587 DP

Pushed by a KITTY KAT
wallynm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 03:46 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I've used three systems over the years on 3 RVs. My first choice was Tire Sentry, and I agree with LogThumper's points on it. On the second RV I went with the Doran system because I thought it would be cool to read the temperatures rather than just be warned about a low pressure. But, I didn't like the reliability of the system, especially with dual extenders, and it just didn't mount very cleanly into the dash, so I ewnt back to Tire Sentry.

However, my latest setup has been the SmarTire system. SmarTire uses internal sensors that report both temperature and pressure. No external "bobs" mounted on the valve stems. It mounts cleanly into the dash and I also have secondary displays on the toad itself for when I am away from the RV. One key feature is that the readings are temperature compensated. If a 100 PSI cold pressure tire is driven you might find that it measures 120 PSI when hot. The other two systems will read it as 120 PSI. If the tires has a slow leak and is 20 PSI low it'll read 100 when hot and the TPMS systems will think that's just fine. Most are set to warn at -10% so you could actually lose 30 PSI on that tire before you'd get any kind of warning. The SmarTire system understands this and compensates accordingly because it knows the tire temperature. It will also warn of an overloaded condition or if a bad wheel bearing or dragging brake is causing heat. Granted, the system costs double of the Tire Sentry but it is the best out there. My personal choice is the SmarTire system but if the budget didn't allow it I'd go back to the Tire Sentry. Either way I wouldn't go without some kind of system. It's not a big deal to check them manually every morning but if your toad picks up a nail you might destroy that tire and cause other damage to the toad before you'd ever know it. That in itself would pay for the system.
Mark & Leann Quasius
2016 Cornerstone 45A
2007 Allegro Bus 42QRP (Sold)
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 03:58 AM   #10
Administrator Emeritus

Nice post Mark....I wholeheartedly agree and am in the process of arranging a SmartTire install myself...

A functioning TPMS is definitely a "don't leave home without it" item.

As someone had mentioned in an earlier post,I also carry a small IR gun...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 11:27 AM   #11
Mid Atlantic Campers
I have now seen 4 monitor systems.
1. Doran Pressure Pro
2. L&S Pressure Pro
3. Safe tire
4. Tire-SafeGuard
The Doran and L&S appear to be the same units just different names they seem pricey but easy to install.
The safe Tire is very expensive and hard and expensive to install.
The Tire-Safeguard is reasonably priced and easy to install, but it is a relitive unknown here in the USA.
I think a little more research is needed before the decision is finalized.

Old 11-21-2006, 05:06 AM   #12
A search of this forum or any of the major RV forums will reveal that many of these systems can cause lots of problems. Between dead batteries, leaky valve stems,false readings hardly seems worthwhile. Apparently all cars will have these systems as standard equipment. The sensors will mount in a seperate threaded hole in the rim. Sounds like a great idea. I am hoping that there will be aftermarket systems based on this design.

2008 Dynasty 42' Diamond IV
2004 Safari Trek ( Mexico Unit)
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 06:43 AM   #13
I like the SmartTire i have installed. It's brand new and the latest model. It's a great little unit, although not cheap. For 8 tires, it was about $1,900 installed. The peace of mind is worth it.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 05:46 PM   #14

Steve, We use L&S Pressure Pro. They are good people to work with. We are monitoring 10 tires with no problems. I would buy the system again.

'02 Ultimate Advantage 40J Spartan MM - Cummins ISC
2013 Jeep Rubicon JK Unlimited
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote