Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2003, 01:21 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I agree with RV Ron. Newmar says to run 100 lbs air pressure in all tires on my Kountry Star (22.5 tires). I run no less than 100 lbs because I want to keep tire flex to a minimum and I do not want to give Michelin any excusses about under inflation if I have a failure. However, my real goal is to not have a problem in the first place, so I check my tires before every trip to make sure the pressure is right. By the way, I have experimented with pressures from 100 to 105 lbs and cannot tell the difference in ride.

Currently in Shreveport, LA on our way to Colorado- next stop Wichita Falls, TX.

Terry

Terry & Linda; plus LeMeiux & Hurakan the Burmese cats
'03 Kountry Star 3740 W22, US Gear Unified tow brake, Blue Ox Aventa II tow bar, '02 Jeep Wrangler

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2003, 02:33 PM   #16

Interesting...........Is it your belief that if I lower my pressure to the level Michelin clearly recommends, I'm inviting more tire problems due to heat and sidewall flex vs inflating to max 95# pressure? Given all of the complaints about Michelin, I wonder why they would confidently recommend a "low" pressure like 70# if it were going to lead to more problems?? I guess that doesn't "square" with what I've been hearing on this forum about their underinflation, customer tire-abuse posture.

BTW, the Michelin rep stated, when I asked him why the tire stores recommend max pressure, that they (the tire stores) were doing the old CYA thing.....he didn't say it exactly that way but that was the message. Very interesting but also.....very informative. I appreciate the knowledgeable input from you all.

Old 08-11-2003, 03:08 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One thing to keep in mind here is tire construction - most 19 1/2" tires are all-steel construction as opposed to the steel-belt construction of smaller tires. That means there is steel in the sidewalls as well as the regular belts under the tread. Why is this important? Well, we usually lower the pressure to allow the sidewalls to flex more, softening the ride. With regular tires, that means the rubber sidewall is flexing - with the all-steel tires the sidewall flex includes steel - steel flexing generates more heat than rubber flexing. There is a real chance that you can generate enough heat in the sidewall to have a catastrophic failure - usually at the worst possible time.

Alan@Hepburn.com - San Jose, Ca - http://www.Alan.Hepburn.com
1999 F450 Crew Cab PSD pulling a 2002 Fleetwood Triumph 365L triple slide fifth wheel - Charter Member - International Brotherhood of Weight Police
"Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve." - George Bernard Shaw
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 10:18 AM   #18

We actually started to get uneven rib wear on a G159 275/70 R 22.5 Goodyear at the right front when the pressure was increased over the tire chart prescribed amount that Goodyear provides for weight and pressure. JoSam in Orlando, FL said they had only seen the wear pattern only that size and only on Goodyears. After lowering the pressure to the correct amount per the table stopped the uneven wear pattern. There is also two threads on Michilen XRV's at RV.net that for the most part seem to indicate that there is widespread problems with their sidewalls and Michilen is not very responsive and blames it on the end user.

Richard and Babs
and a Bob Tail Cat
97 Beaver Patriot
BAC Member
http://www.floridaboomers.com/

and a Bob Tail Cat
Richard and Babs and a Bob Tail Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 12:15 PM   #19

To determine the best pressure to run draw a chalk line across the tiretread and drive a short distance and check the line. If the line is worn off the outsides of the tread and not in the middle, add air. If the chalk is worn off the middle only, release pressure.
Repeat until the line dissapears evenly. That is the correct pressure for your application and weight.
There are conventions related to tire load and weight and dealer specs. Tire aspect ratio and sidewall flex too, but what you want is even tire wear as long as it's not underinflated.
Try the chalk line method and then , check your pressures. I'll bet it will be at or near recommendeed max pressure depending on your weight.
-Paul R. Haller-
Old 10-14-2005, 03:19 PM   #20

Nor'easters Club
boy after reading this I am more baff then before. Hers my tire items. I purchased my 2000 Winnebago Adventurer used in Aug/05 from a dealer the unit has 6 new brigdestone tires on it. It came from winne with the goodyears but frist owner replaced them after 5 years with the brigestones. when I check the press of the tires all of them were at max cold air of 110 lbs. I am sure you can feel very jolt my teeth felt at that pressure. after checking the rating for the tire for the 7000 front axle and the 13500 rear I had a range from 80lbs to 110lbs I drop it down to 95lbs all around which put it right in the middle of the listing and even with that at 95 front i am over the 7000 lbs carry by 550lbs and on the rear I over the carry by 1200 lbs. now do not read that wrong what I meant it the tire only needs to carry the 7000 lbs front at the pressure in the tire it can carry 550lbs more that the 7000 lbs axle can.

what would you do? its a pain when the tires that were on the rig are not the same that came with the rig because you can not follow the pressure numbers that winne has on the place card. for example when the goodyears were on the unit winne stated 70 for all the tires on brigdestones site 70 is not even an opt for these tires they are the 245/70R19.5 load rage F or G can't remember and the unit is in New Hampsure right now and I am in Mass.

Waiting to hear from all of you
Mark
Old 10-15-2005, 01:37 AM   #21
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
I would like to also add a note that I learned about tires. Speed; the tires are rated for a maximum speed of 65 mph. For every mile per hour over 65 you need to derate the weight carrying capacity of the tire by 50 lbs. Example at 70 mph the tire carrying capacity is 250 lbs less than stamped on the tire. Also look for the DOT box for the date of the tire. Three digits; tire made before 2000. Four digits after; first two are the week of the next two digits (year). Good luck and be safe.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 06:45 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

I think your "middle of the table" solution is a good one. Another option is to go with the table pressure and add 5 lbs of so as a safety margin (which also accomodates any necesary derating, as RV Wizard describes).

I wouldn't worry about the coach manufacturers rating plate - it's irrelevent after you change tires.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 07:31 AM   #23

iRV2 No Limits Club
Now I have to get my 2# into this. I read on the net at a tire pressure thread that when you have the pressure at the right amount for the weight, you put that pressure in a cold tire and then drive at hiway speed for thirty minutes and the pressure is supposed to increase by 4#. If the pressure goes up more than 4#, say 6# then the tires are getting too hot and building up too much pressure, so put in 2# of air. If the pressure does not go up 4#, say 3# then let 1# of air out. I tried this on my MH and it came out perfectly, and have checked it with a bunch more weight in the MH, ie full water and gasoline and people, added air to compensate and bingo, 4# increase in the pressure. Seems like the formula to use to me as it uses the actual heat that is built up in YOUR tires.

See yall in the funnies, Warren
WAGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 09:25 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I have never seen an RV tire with a speed rating of 65mph. All that I'm familiar with are speed rated at 75mph.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 03:38 PM   #25

Boy....you go away for 2 years and this topic is still alive !!! I guess it will always be with us.

I would suggest that using the total axle weight is not the best idea. Instead you should have the coach weighed on each wheel location. It can be done at a standard truck-type scale. In my case (99 Winny Adventurer DP), my front right is 500 lbs greater than the driver's side front. You need to assume the worst case for front and rear and apply that weight to the inflation charts supplied by Bridgestone. Pressure should be the same for both front tires (worst case weight). Ditto approach for the rear duals. Ironically, I have a friend with Bridgestone's so I just set up his pressure using their inflation table.

My recommendation is to determine the pressure from the table and add either 5 or 10 lbs, whatever you are more comfortable with. Works for me.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:13 PM   #26

Nor'easters Club
hi DanS you just never know whats going to come back and haunt you.

I had the MH weighed but was not able to do each wheel as the person doing this for me was doing me a faver and no charging me and only had a few min. to do it. we weighed the front axle and it came in at 6300 the rear came in at 12,120
Total came in at 18,460

remember the front axle is rated at 7000 the rear at 13,500 and total 20,500

and those weights are fully loaded fuel water gear food.
so by looking at this the front is lite by 700 lb the rear is lite by 1380 lb and gross is lite by 2040

now with my tires all at 95psi as stated in my first post I am well over the perssure need to handle my unit won't you think.

Mark
Old 10-15-2005, 05:37 PM   #27

Mark.....yes you should be ok. I was only giving you the "book" approach as I've come to understand it. You are miles ahead of most since you are concerned about this in the first place. My friend with the Bridgestone's thought his pressure was set at 110 but when we checked the tires, they we're at 70 !! That's dangerous!! We upped them to the pressure table plus 5# and he's doing fine. If you are happy with the ride at 95# fine. If it's still a bit hard for you, you might get the exact weights sometime in the future and adjust accordingly.
Old 10-15-2005, 06:42 PM   #28

Nor'easters Club
DanS what did you up his psi to and what was his weight