Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2006, 09:07 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I recently upgraded from a Winnebago Adventurer class "A" with the Ford V-10 chassis, to a Fleetwood Providence DP with a Freightliner chassis. On my V-10 gasser, I ran max tire pressure in the rear tires, and 10 lbs. under max on the front.

My DP has Goodyear G670RV tires, which are 275/70R22.5's. The sidewall on these tires calls for a max of 125 lbs, which seems awfully high. They currently have 80 lbs each, as inflated by the previous owner.

The Goodyear paperwork advises to take the coach to a set of scales, and gives a chart on what pressure to run based on the axle weight. I'm just wondering what pressure to run until I'm able to do so. The tires are evenly worn, so can I assume that 80 lbs. is sufficient for now?

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2006, 09:07 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I recently upgraded from a Winnebago Adventurer class "A" with the Ford V-10 chassis, to a Fleetwood Providence DP with a Freightliner chassis. On my V-10 gasser, I ran max tire pressure in the rear tires, and 10 lbs. under max on the front.

My DP has Goodyear G670RV tires, which are 275/70R22.5's. The sidewall on these tires calls for a max of 125 lbs, which seems awfully high. They currently have 80 lbs each, as inflated by the previous owner.

The Goodyear paperwork advises to take the coach to a set of scales, and gives a chart on what pressure to run based on the axle weight. I'm just wondering what pressure to run until I'm able to do so. The tires are evenly worn, so can I assume that 80 lbs. is sufficient for now?

Old 11-21-2006, 02:36 PM   #3

Craig, 80 lbs. is pretty low. I have a 38+' Monaco coach with a 29K GVWR and I run 105 in the front and 100 in the duals. This matches the GVW rating of the front and rear axles. This is conservative because I'm not running fully loaded, but I'd rather be a little over than under inflated.

8.3L Cummins ISC
BIGRED1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 03:51 PM   #4

I would suggest that you go to the Goodyear RV tire site. They have charts on the website relative to axle weight and tire pressure.

You need to get your coach weighed to be accurate.

The alternative is to use your max front axle GVWR and calculate the tire pressure required to support that weight. I bet it will be less than the max tire pressure. But if this info is not available, go to the max tire pressure inflation. End result will be a harsher ride if you don't need all that pressure, and possibly better handling at the lower pressure.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 04:11 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Agree with the others...get the rig weighed and use GY's tire chart. I have a 36' rig with same tires and, based on my actual loaded weights, I run 105 fronts and 95 in rears.
Old 11-22-2006, 10:38 AM   #6

Craig
I have a 39' moho with about the same weight as you; I keep 96' all around - this includes an additional 4 to 5 lbs per wheel for insurance. Thus far, handling is great.

rayw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 12:04 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
To emphasize the previous posts recommendations, my signature coach street weight is 29K. I have Michelin tires the same size as the OP. Michelin charts say 95 in the front and 85 in the rear. This is what I run and after 19K miles the tires are wearing great, nice ride and no problems.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 03:05 AM   #8

Use the tire manufacture guidelines and the placard on the wall by the drivers seat. I run 110 in front, 85 in duals and 75 in tag. All of this is based on maximum axle weight rating.

Newmar Mountain Aire
JerryKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 03:22 AM   #9
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Craig P.:

The Goodyear paperwork advises to take the coach to a set of scales, and gives a chart on what pressure to run based on the axle weight. I'm just wondering what pressure to run until I'm able to do so. The tires are evenly worn, so can I assume that 80 lbs. is sufficient for now? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe THIS was his question....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 12:59 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
If the weight on the corners, axles and total coach is not known, I guess the only thing one can do is run the tires at max until the coach is weighted.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 02:01 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
UPDATE:

Ok guys, I returned yesterday from my first quick week-end trip with my Providence. The trip didn't start off so good.

I have a circular driveway that hangs a left in front of both of my garages. I had to park the coach in the circular portion, as I needed to keep the other side of the driveway clear for the concrete contractor that is extending my RV pad, so I can get this monster to fit.

I had to work Friday until 6:00 PM, so it was dark by the time I got home and we headed off for our shake-down cruise. I had my wife step outside and watch the coach as I maneuvered out of the driveway. I didn't move four feet when I heard this terrible scrape noise. She was watching the sides for me, so she didn't see the tree branch as it scraped across the top left edge of the front cap. Luckily, no real damage other than a broken clearance light lens....whew!

The rest of the trip went great. The only other problem uncovered was a plumbing leak under the kitchen slide, that leaked water into one of the storage bays.

Back to the topic of this thread! Sorry....

I had my rig weighed today finally. Weights are as follows:
Steer axle: 9080 lbs.
Drive axle (duals): 15,500 lbs.

I have Goodyear 275/70R/22.5 tires. My fresh water and fuel tanks were full. I was minus one person along with food and clothing when I had it weighed, so I added 300 lbs. to the steer axle, and 800 lbs. to the drive axle to come up with the above weights.

Now, unless I'm missing something, when I take the axle weights to Goodyear's tire pressure table, it looks like the previous owner was correct with a tire pressure of 80 pounds. Does this appear correct to you guys?