Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2010, 04:28 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tire pressures

Hello,
I recently purchased a 2004 Adventurer on a W22 Workhorse chassis with Michelin 80r 22.5 tires. The side walls read 110 max psi at full load. I've read that it's not good to run them over or under inflated. They all had around 90 psi when I bought it. I'm not carrying a lot of weight other than a full tank of fuel, 2/3rds tank of water, two people, clothes and food. Should I be running more than 90 psi?
Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2010, 08:43 AM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Before you change anything, weigh your coach loaded as you normally would. Then check the load charts on line.

FYI, Thereare many "CAT-Scale" locations around. Check on line for locations. Look for a truckers stop and or a large trucking terminal. There will be a small fee but the payback will be priceless.

Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 07:13 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks bdaball, I am finding out that this is a more complicated issue than I first thought! I will be looking for a place to weigh before our next major trip.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:30 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

In the meantime, there should be a sticker on the wall by the driver's seat showing the GVWR, axle weight ratings and recommended tire pressure for each axle (front and rear may be different). Use that pressure until you get a true weight. The recommnded pressure will be for max axle load and you are probably less than that, but its better to be over than under pressure.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:40 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RV Safety, Merritt Island, Florida On the left side is a link to getting your rig weighed

They weigh EACH WHEEL (not tire but wheel) using portable calibrated scales and then tell you what the proper inflation is for each wheel.. They also provide some other information and service.

This is the ONLY way to get it right unless you can find a flat scale where you can do it yourself.. And that will cost about the same amount.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:37 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks Gary, sounds like good advice. How important are the pressure bleeding caps? Four out of the six wheels had them on when I got it. Our first weekend out, when we got to the camp we were staying, I noticed one of the outside rear tires was flat (completely off the bead). Fortunately the camp maintenance guy was able to get it pumped up and diagnosed the problem as a faulty pressure bleeding cap. I'd never heard of these before and am wondering if I should make sure I have them on all six.
thanks,
Rod
Old 06-05-2010, 06:44 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank wa8yxm for the link, very informative. We are attending the Gypsy Journal gathering in August and the rv safety folks are going to be there weighing rigs, so if I can't get weighed before, I'll do it there.
Rod
Old 06-05-2010, 07:34 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

The valve stems should be covered with caps to keep out dirt. They really aren't "bleed caps" - just protective covers. Sometimes a valve extension can be faulty and bleed off air, though.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 04:52 PM   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to Bob Nuttmann
Pressure too high up to the limit on the tire sidewall will not hurt anything. But pressure over what is needed will make the ride harsher. But it sounds like you have some real issues though with the tire going flat. You better make sure you get that fixed. I have one of the pressure monitors on my coach. I don't always check it, but maybe once a week I take a look. Keep in mind that cold and hot pressure are significantly different on RV tires.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:51 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks Bob, I have soaped up the tire twice in the past week and check the pressure three times and I think it's OK now. Pretty sure it was a faulty valve extender.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:59 AM   #11

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
FYI, "Dually-Stems" would eliminate the need for extension.

See ad in the back of FMCA
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:20 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
thanks bdaball, I'll check into them