Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2007, 12:33 AM   #15

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by oemtech:
I bought a Husky compressor at Home Depot and it will handle up to 135 psi. It sets in a basement compartment and is plugged in. I went to Harbor Freight and bought a 25' rubber hose and some air hose connectors. When I need air I close the valve on the bottom (always drain the air/water after use), turn it on and check my tires. I have a clip on chuck with a dial indicator to read the pressure. I also have a HD chuck with a pop out pressure readout. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When I was at Harbor Freight I picked up an Automatic Tank Drain. Every time the compressor cycles on or off it burps and keeps the tank drained with no water build up. It was $9.99 well spent.

I fill the tires the night before leaving and use the charts based on the max vehicle weight since we travel with children, pets, full fresh water and construction tools. Have not gotten it weighed yrt by know we are close.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2007, 04:19 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
On the compressor item, click here to see the installation. It is a Husky compressor purchased at Lowes or Home Depot. It is bolted to the basement floor. It has an 18 gallon tank and 150 PSI at the hose. I purchased hose extensions and a kit with different hose tips.

This setup is good for anything the coach needs. It also makes me the hit of the rally and with the kids when something needs to be inflated.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 04:50 AM   #17

K-Star...
Try this. Measure the air pressure while cold (about 70 degreesF) and record the values. Go to the air station and if a tire was say low 5lbs when cold then simply add 5lbs to whatever the now hot tire value is and pump it up to that.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:51 AM   #18

Thanks for all the responses. I have been running 110 in the ft, 95 in the duals, 85 in the tag. I have not had my coach weighed but I am definitely on the light side due to taking very few extras when traveling. I used to run more air in the rears but the ride was horrible. So, I made the change to the lower end of the scale. I developed a shimmy in the ft end at about 50-54 mph which changes to a vibration at 55+. In checking the tires, the fronts show no sign of wear and the tags show only normal scuffing, but all four of the duals have a very strange chopping in the centers(all treads except the inner and outer). I had the front tires balanced using Equal this winter with no change. I called Spartan last week and they suggested taking it to a local outfit to check front and rear alignment, ride height, etc.. The shop told me the front toe was off and the front tires are out of round but had no explanation as to why the duals are wearing so strangely. That shop also agreed that the tire pressures were ok. Spartan then sent me to Michelin who says nothing is wrong with the fronts but low tire pressure is causing the irregular wear on the duals. The tags are at less than the duals, why wouldn't they be wearing stange also? I still think I have two bad front tires and maybe something else with the duals. I am in Maryland and would hate to have to take it to Michigan to have Spartan go through it. Any suggestions from you more seasoned pros would be appreciated. Thanks, Keith

2008 F-350 4WD toad
keithmadp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 04:57 AM   #19

Regarding air compressors...
DeWalt now makes an extremely small high pressure 100% duty cycle compressor. The new DeWalt Emglo model 55140. About the size of a couple of telephone books (14"x19"x9") cut in pressure of 120psi and cut out at 135psi so it can handle some pretty high pressures - handles my 125psi fills with ease. The size is astonishing, the sound level is exceedingly low, oil-free compressor so no spills and can store at any angle, and there are no pieces and parts extending beyond the frame to catch up and break off in our tight storage compartments. At 2.6amps it is not even a problem to run off a small inverter! A very solid and compact package. If I need a 125-130psi fill I just force it to turn on connect the tire and let it run until filled. About $170 retail.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:57 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Keith - I agree with all others who say weigh all 4 corners & then set tire pressure accordingly.

That said here is what I run:
Front 110
Duals 85
Tag 85

RV Dude - I use your method. I used to carry a compressor but so rarely used it that its in my garage. Another variation on your method is to note how low the pressure is, add 10# above it, then, when the tires cool off - like overnight - bleed off the extra pressure. As you know, it is better to have too much pressure in a tire than not enough.

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 06:43 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Kieth,
You are on almost the same path I took two years ago. Find what your choices are (in your area) to go to a authorized Michelin truck tire shop. Call Michelin to get this information. Then consider doing what I mentioned in my previous post. The key to success is to find a manager, at an authorized Michelin Truck Tire shop that will communicate the out of round condition to Michelin and get you new tires. The shop manager I had, has been in the business for over 40 years. When he talked to Michelin they did what he said. He had command of the conversation. He was able to talk technical tire talk to Michelin to ensure the customer was provided the correct solution is what carried the day. Without this, it is a trip to Charlotte or buy new tires.

Michelin would do nothing until I got all four corners weighted. I was lucky and got Florida DOT to weigh the four corners.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 11:01 AM   #22

Keith...my coach is also very unloaded and my pressures are 10 lbs less than yours...no wear or ride problems for me..
footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 07:26 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Taking your problems as a whole, lets look at some possibilities.
[LIST]Duals are wearing in the center with a "chop" pattern.
<LI>You have a vibration when traveling.

Generally wear in the middle is from over inflation. The chop pattern is from scuffing/scrapping.

It is possible that you have an alignment problem with the mains that is either "toe-in" or "toe-out" on the mains that cancel any pulling, but wears the centers of the tires. You didn't mention pulling or what we used to call "catty wampus" where the front tires track differently than the rears. This is usually a bent frame in cars but just may be an axel misalignment in your coach.

Anyway drive through a wet section of concrete then check how the tire tracks look when you have driven a few yards through the wet into dry and see how the tracks look.

Something to try while you wait for the real fix.
Charlie
Old 08-16-2007, 05:00 AM   #24

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">It is possible that you have an alignment problem with the mains that is either "toe-in" or "toe-out" on the mains that cancel any pulling, but wears the centers of the tires. You didn't mention pulling or what we used to call "catty wampus" where the front tires track differently than the rears. This is usually a bent frame in cars but just may be an axel misalignment in your coach. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just had the alignment completed. Rear was in specs. Front toe was out. I agree with center wear being consistent with overinflation -- not under. It is a very strange pattern. I'm waiting to hear back today from Spartan and Michelin. Theoretically(sp), even though I haven't weighed the coach, I believe I am within inflation specs due to not being loaded. I'll wait to see what they say.

2008 F-350 4WD toad
keithmadp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 03:46 AM   #25

Keith,

Here is how I got the corner weights. I used the standard truck stop scales. I looked around until I found one that had a few feet extra clearance on the sides. I told the scale operator that I was going to weigh the coach three times. The first time I put all the coach on the scale. That gave me front axle, back axle, and total weight. Then I put only the right side of the coach on the scale, that gave me a right side number. Repeated the exercise with the left side. If you do this you will see right away that if you add your right side and left side numbers for an axle they will total more than the number you got when you weighed the coach the first time. This is because the liquid weights (water and fuel) shift slightly because the scale is usually higher than the surrounding concrete.

No problem. Use the right side left side weights to determine the ratio of side to side weight on that axle. Multiply that ratio times the the total axle weight to get true corner weights.

An example will make this clear.

Front axle weight 12,000
Front weight with right side on scale 6700
Front weight with left axle on scale 6300

True right front weight = (6700/(6300+6700))X 12000 = 6184

True left side = 12000 - 6184 = 5816

I use the Michelin tables and take the highest weight for an axle and set both tires there. As others have stated, I over inflate when I have high pressure air at the truck stop, and deflate to the pressure I want the next morning.

1995 Newell, 470HP Detroit Diesel Series 60
Bikeboy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 03:58 AM   #26

One more thing, weigh the coach !!!!! Even if you can only get front axle back axle.

Most people find that the rear tires are overinflated for the weight they are actually carrying. It's even more true for a tag.

For example, my Michelin XZE3's are rated for 120 psig. That's what the shop inflated them to. My weight is below the minimum weight listed on the Michelin tables, so I run them at 80 psig. You cannot imagine the difference in ride between 80 and 120 psig in the tires. The wear patten sounds like a combination of overinflation (the center) and balance (cupping ) Are the tires spin balanced, use balancing powder, or no balance? In my experience, once a wear pattern develops on a tire, you cannot correct it's behavior. Live with it, or buy baby new shoes and make sure they are balanced and inflated correctly. My unasked for opinion is that you will not be able to fix your vibration is along as you are running the cupped tires. If you don't want to replace the tires, then you can have a shop shave them until the surface is smooth. At first thought that sounds awful, but if you think about it the rubber removal is only down to the lowest spot worn in the cup, so you are not losing any life in the tire other than what is already lost.

Good luck, and weigh that coach

Old 08-20-2007, 07:37 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am scratching my head here

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bikeboy57:
One more thing, weigh the coach !!!!! Even if you can only get front axle back axle.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My rig is 6580# on front Axle, 12,080# on rear

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
For example, my Michelin XZE3's are rated for 120 psig. That's what the shop inflated them to. My weight is below the minimum weight listed on the Michelin tables, so I run them at 80 psig. You cannot imagine the difference in ride between 80 and 120 psig in the tires.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I do the math:

Front tires 3800#/tire
Rear tires (duals) 3020#/tire

My tires are Goodyear G670-RV, size 245/70R19.5

Looking at the chart from Goodyear:

Fronts: weight is: 3790# @ 80psi (next highest)
Rears: Lowest weight listed for duals is:
3415# @ 70 psi

This seems awfully low to me am I doing something wrong? OBTW I am currently running 95# front and 85# rear (as delivered from dealer) I usually run very light on drinking water and I always dump grey and black before leaving site. So I run fairly light (I think).
I am towing now so what does that do to the equation? I don't know if I can get it weighed with the "toad" on. Most Truck stops around here don't want to see RVs on the truck side (where the scales are). I have to go to my Workhorse service center for weights when I get it serviced. (I am going in next week).

I also have 130 psi air available on the rig(Husky compressor) with a 25 ' air hose so inflation is no problem.

"Be careful out there, because no matter where you go.......... There you are" (Bucakaroo Banzai)
park_ridge_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 08:28 AM   #28

Are you scratching your head about my math, poor grammar, or having a hard time believing that your tires may be overinflated for the actual weight of your coach.

You listed front axle and back axle weights, and logically divided by half to get corner weights. You may or may not find that the coach is not balanced from side to side. You can run a little overinflated to make up for what you don't know about the balance from side to side.

I had the same disbelief. I filled all the tanks, loaded all my junk, and still was a lot lighter than I thought. Went to two different scales to make sure. Yeah, I know, this is backward from the horror stories on all the RV forums where people are always running overloaded. The bottom line is to weigh, and not inflate on intuition.

I finally got OK with lowering the air pressure, and I continue to use a shade tree check on the tires. At every stop I touch all six with my hands. They are NEVER uncomfortably warm to the touch.

One more thing, make sure you are reading the correct chart. Some tires offered in a given size come in different load ranges and that makes a big difference in the recommended inflation pressures. For example I run a 275/80 22.5 in a load range H. The G range tire in the same size calls for almost 10 psig more for a given wieght.