Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2007, 09:47 AM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bikeboy57:
Are you scratching your head about my math, poor grammar, or having a hard time believing that your tires may be overinflated for the actual weight of your coach.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Richard excuse me I was "scratching my head" wondering what I was missing with my rig. Your explanation was great. I was just uneasy at the tire pressures that I was coming up with. I will double check the load range rating on my tires too (I forgot that "little" bit of info.)

Also, I usually cruise no faster than 60-65 especially when towing. I too do the "feel inspection" and I always check tire pressures when I get ready to go.

Your explanations are much appreciated!

"Be careful out there, because no matter where you go.......... There you are" (Bucakaroo Banzai)
park_ridge_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2007, 10:27 AM   #30

i like to keep it simple. my tires are inflated to the pressure stamped on the tire sidewall.
it happens to be 5 psi over what newmar recommended.
g159 245x75x22.5 load range g.
1996 ksdp, 35 ft
tom wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 11:01 AM   #31

Just an update on my shimmy and rear tire wear problem. I have spoken with several people from Michelin -- the last being an engineer who will be coming to inspect my coach tires in a week or two. I finally feel as if I'm getting somewhere. I will post more as it happens.
Keith

2008 F-350 4WD toad
keithmadp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 03:30 PM   #32

Why do you buy a compressor??? I have a quick connect under the hood from the system air. Will it not have enough pressure?

Wife, 3 kids, and mother-in-law
Nathan Focht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 03:31 PM   #33

Re: BikeBoy57 front end weight calculations - I'm here to learn and am confused on the ratios etc. in calculating left and right wheel weights. If you weigh the left independently and then the right independently doesn't that suffice? In your calculations you arrive at a total weight of 13,000# which is more than the 12,000# front axle weight. Can't follow that - I'm serious about this as we weighed the coach like you did but used the independent weights on the Michelin charts to arrive at the proper inflation (we thought)?
Old 08-28-2007, 04:24 PM   #34

The pressure range for my coach runs from about 90 to 135 psi according to my dash gauges...If I need 115 in the front, the engine compressor will have to come on to max out the system pressure before I can fill the tires....it's much easier with a fixed pressure output pump
footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 05:10 AM   #35

Update -- I took coach to Michelin dealer on Friday to inspect tires. I was told the XRV tires have a very aggressive tread pattern and that is why rear duals are wearing the way they are. They called it "heel/toe" wear. I was told this is normal and will come and go as mileage accrues. Hmmm -- I'll see about that. Anyway, they re-seated the front tires and cross rotated them. They did not roadtest. I picked it up Friday night and now the shimmy vibration is much worse and obviously coming from the front tires. The Michelin engineer called me yesterday(yes that is read Sunday) to see how it was. I told him worse now than before. He is getting me two new front tires. Great news. As an aside, the engineer who worked on it Friday told me he believes they will be seeing alot of these tires that weren't seated properly from the factory. If you have a vibration in steering -- this could be the cause. Have it checked. Keith

2008 F-350 4WD toad
keithmadp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 04:01 PM   #36

If you cannot get the four corner weights!!! Then!!

AT a Max PSI go with your axle wieghts!!! IOf the steering axle is rated 12,000 inflate tires Accordingly!!! If Rear is 20,000 inflate tires accordingly!!!
A lot of coaches are over!!! Rick
Old 09-24-2007, 04:07 PM   #37

Cold is misleading - it means ambient. So, if driven let sit until tires stablize to ambient temperature.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:10 PM   #38

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nathan Focht:
Why do you buy a compressor??? I have a quick connect under the hood from the system air. Will it not have enough pressure? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes it will. But for front tires at 110+ it is usally necessary to maually deplete the air tank so it will be build back up to maximum pressure to fill the fronts. The rears usually run 85=95 and its not a problem.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:12 PM   #39

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by keithmadp:
I am just wondering where others,as an average, keep the pressures on all tires. I realize there are many contributing factors. I have an'06 MADP 4304 with tag. I have some wear issues and some vibration issues. I try to keep my tires inflated according to my guide and what others on this forum have mentioned in the past. Michelin, however, claims I have them too low. Just wondering what others do. Fwiw, my tires are Michelin XRV 305/70/22.5's.
Thanks in advance </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just had mine 4 position weighed at Spartan and with same size tires on my 06 DSDP I need 105 in front and 85 in rear.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:21 PM   #40

I have an 04 Dutch Star with the tires that came on the unit. I had it weighed at the Spartan factory and they told me I should carry 100 psi in front 85 rears. Cold pressure in the front tires usually is 95 psi but after checking them at my fitst rest stop, the pressure is up to 105 psi. I hope I am doing this right
jaywhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 02:59 AM   #41

You should fill them when cold (ambient)...pressure can easily rise 10-15% while running
footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2007, 03:57 PM   #42

As FootDoc says 'ambient temp' check after coach has been parked 24 hrs.
I am 105psi on steering axle and 90psi on the drives.

Footdoc I am still trying to 'Squissh the bug'

Rick