Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2007, 06:14 AM   #1

I am just wondering where others,as an average, keep the pressures on all tires. I realize there are many contributing factors. I have an'06 MADP 4304 with tag. I have some wear issues and some vibration issues. I try to keep my tires inflated according to my guide and what others on this forum have mentioned in the past. Michelin, however, claims I have them too low. Just wondering what others do. Fwiw, my tires are Michelin XRV 305/70/22.5's.
Thanks in advance

2008 F-350 4WD toad
keithmadp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2007, 06:14 AM   #2

I am just wondering where others,as an average, keep the pressures on all tires. I realize there are many contributing factors. I have an'06 MADP 4304 with tag. I have some wear issues and some vibration issues. I try to keep my tires inflated according to my guide and what others on this forum have mentioned in the past. Michelin, however, claims I have them too low. Just wondering what others do. Fwiw, my tires are Michelin XRV 305/70/22.5's.
Thanks in advance

2008 F-350 4WD toad
keithmadp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:37 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
The only accurate and safe way to know what tire pressures should be, is to obtain individual wheel weights, and then set the tire pressure according to the Michelin chart.

Why does Michelin claim your tire pressures are too low?

Michelin's tire pressure chart must be followed for safety.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 11:14 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
High Keith,
Like Dirk said one must know their corner weights first. Then follow the manufacturer's chart for the proper PSI.

I've never had a vibration problem caused by PSI. Consider starting down the road of looking elswhere for the vibration. Is the vibration:
1. front or rear
2. left or right side
3. all the time or only around a certain speed
4. cruising or during acceleration, decelleration.

All these things lead to different conclusions. Consider taking the coach to your local Michelin truck tire shop. I'd go to the shop first and talk to the manager. Can they spin balance (on a spin balance machine) a tire of your size? Once you explain the symptons what steps will he take to see if the tires are the problem? Will he contact Michelin and see if they will cover service call under warranty (if it is a tire problem).

I did all this for my signature coach. When I got the coach it felt like I was riding on oval shapped tires. Michelin rebalanced (spin balance on a machine) all the tires and replaced the front two tires.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 11:20 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
This is not a unique question to Newmar.

You need to weigh the axles and adjust the tire pressures plus a little to carry the load.

Some of the idiots at the tire stores only want to put the full rated pressure in each tire. This often leads to rough ride and poor wear. The pressure stamped on the sidewall is a maximum at maximum load. The dealers should have a pressure/load chart for the tires.

I will link this to the general motorhome forum for more exposure.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 11:40 AM   #6

I spoke with a Michelin engineer at the Rally in Redmond and he gave me two pieces of advice:

1st. Have each wheel of your coach weighed. Choose the heaviest tire per axle. Use the Michelin chart for your tire to determine what air pressure to use per axle. I think the key is this: you set tire pressures for each axle based on the weight of the heaviest tire on that axle.

2nd. If you can't have your coach weighed then you should look at the tire side wall and go with the highest tire pressure recommended. But again set tire pressures on a per axle basis.

The Newmar installed plaque in my coach (2005 Dutch Star 4320) recommends 120 PSI cold pressure for all of my tires. Which BTW is the same maximum cold tire pressure recommended on my tire side walls. My tires are 295/80 R 22.5. But I can guarantee you that if I ran 120 PSI cold pressure in my coach, it would beat itself to pieces in the first 1000 miles of use. Plus I strongly suspect tire wear would be less than optimal at 120 PSI cold pressure.

So I think in order to sleep soundly at night you must have your each wheel of your coach weighed, use the Michelin charts to determine your proper air pressure and make sure your coach always weighs the same and is loaded (balanced) the same way each time you take it out. And at this point I should insert a big smiley face with a wink to show that I don't think this is ever likely to occur in my case.

If you're like me, you're not of in charge of what goes in your coach each trip and where it gets stored. There seems to be such a large number of variables that effect the weight of a coach and where that weight is distributed that I think all you can really do is make an educated guess about what your tire pressures should be. And oh by the way, I was joking about sleeping soundly at night. If you own a big rig you can forget about sleeping soundly at night, there's just too much to worry about.

HTH,
Howard

2005 DSDP 4320
hwbrantly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 04:11 PM   #7

Ideally, weigh each wheel. Not always easily done unless at a rally or something. Here's a far batter option than just inflating to sidewall listed pressure.

Go to any truck stop and use their scale for less than $10. Yes, it will only weigh the entire axle (and yes, you can split a tag and drive axle on a 3 position truck scale). This way you will get an individual weight for each axle. Don't forget to divide the axle weight by the number of tires on that axle and if that tire weight is close to a limit on the tire inflation charts than go to the next higher inflation.

One small step down from the ideal method and one giant leap better than just pumping them up!
Old 08-14-2007, 04:22 PM   #8
Administrator Emeritus

Something Howard mentioned really needs to be mentioned again...

When you weigh your coach on four corner, USE THE HIGHEST weight on an axle to set the pressures.
All tires on the same axle must be set for the same PSI.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 05:11 PM   #9

It has been impossible for me to get corner weights for the past year..when I bought the coach the tech told me to put 115 front, 85 main and 75 in the tag. I figure my coach is far from overloaded..my pressures are there and it rides well and the tires are wearing very well with 8 K miles
footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 05:16 PM   #10

Most manufacturers(including Nerwmar-our fronts were at 120 when they should have been 95) have way overflated the tires on a new coach. Use the tire manufacturers inflation sheets!
Old 08-14-2007, 05:47 PM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
here is a dumb question that I have wrestled with forever.

One must set the tire pressure cold. But by the time one gets to an establishment that has a compressor that can handle these pressures, the air in the tires are no longer cold.

How do YOU set your tire pressures?
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 05:58 PM   #12

I carry a 150 psi compressor and do it before the sun hits or the rig rolls anywhere
footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 06:05 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
I bought a Husky compressor at Home Depot and it will handle up to 135 psi. It sets in a basement compartment and is plugged in. I went to Harbor Freight and bought a 25' rubber hose and some air hose connectors. When I need air I close the valve on the bottom (always drain the air/water after use), turn it on and check my tires. I have a clip on chuck with a dial indicator to read the pressure. I also have a HD chuck with a pop out pressure readout.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:29 PM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K-Star:
One must set the tire pressure cold. But by the time one gets to an establishment that has a compressor that can handle these pressures, the air in the tires are no longer cold.

How do YOU set your tire pressures? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
My experience is that if you are within 1 mile (+/-) of an air source, driving there does not heat up the tires, unless of course, you're doing 70 mph to get there. It is similiar to warming up an engine... drive the vehicle gently(45 mph or so) for the first 2-3 miles rather than let it stand and idle for 10 minutes.

2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote