Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2013, 09:21 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Tire question

Bought MH 2 years ago. New tires on front at that time. Rear are Michelin with low miles; deep tread; 2005 date stamp. Very, very small sidewall cracks visible only under light. Age is a concern. Am I just asking for trouble to take off on 1500 mile Canada road trip with these tires? I had planned to buy 2 every 2 years, but do I need to replace all 4 rear now?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2013, 09:34 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Michelin recommends annual professional inspection after five years, replace per inspection or replace at ten years regardless. Age-wise, you are up there - and seeing some deterioration beginning. Depending on finances, aversion to problems, etc. I would consider to replace before taking a big trip. At a minimum I would get the professional inspection from a authorized Michelin truck tire dealer.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:12 PM   #3

My opinion is that it's time to replace the cracked tires. If cracked they need replacing. Not worth the issues if they blow.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:21 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Michelin says:
Quote:
"If the cracks are less than 1/32" deep the tire is fine to run. Between 1/32" and 2/32" the tire is suspect and should be examined by your Michelin dealer. If the cracks are any deeper than 2/32" (1/16") the tire should be replaced immediately"
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:59 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Ok. I'm replacing them. Brands to stay away from? Dealer put Goodyear on front when we bought MH.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:06 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi WannaBFlTmer,
The Brand of tire you purchase is personal preference. A lot depends on individual circumstances. Some of these are over the next 10 years:
1. average annual miles traveled
2. $s you can afford to spend
3. are you meticulous about the load being carried, PSI, covering the tires when not in use and all tire maintenance
4. your comfort level with any particular brand or tread design
5. dealer network for warranty service

FYI, If you are a FMCA member, Michelin has a program called Michelin Advantage. This program provides significant discounts on Michelin coach tires.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi WannaBFlTmer,
The Brand of tire you purchase is personal preference. A lot depends on individual circumstances. Some of these are over the next 10 years:
1. average annual miles traveled
2. $s you can afford to spend
3. are you meticulous about the load being carried, PSI, covering the tires when not in use and all tire maintenance
4. your comfort level with any particular brand or tread design
5. dealer network for warranty service

FYI, If you are a FMCA member, Michelin has a program called Michelin Advantage. This program provides significant discounts on Michelin coach tires.
1. 4000 a year
2. Less than $400 a tire if I can.
3. Religiously! Weigh every trip, PSI at gas stops on long haul; jack up, full pressure when still for more than 2 weeks.
4. Nervous about Westlake, used to trust Michelin, but hearing reports of inconsistencies; no reason to avoid Goodyear; curious about Toyo; bad experience with Firestone on car.
5. Not an issue until we fulltime it in 3-4 years.

Planned on replacing on 6 year cycle. I like to feel confident in the equipment and that I have done everything I can to keep things road ready. I am NOT a risk-taker! 7-10 years would give me sweaty palms.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:52 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBFlTmer View Post
1. 4000 a year
2. Less than $400 a tire if I can.
3. Religiously! Weigh every trip, PSI at gas stops on long haul; jack up, full pressure when still for more than 2 weeks.
4. Nervous about Westlake, used to trust Michelin, but hearing reports of inconsistencies; no reason to avoid Goodyear; curious about Toyo; bad experience with Firestone on car.
5. Not an issue until we fulltime it in 3-4 years.

Planned on replacing on 6 year cycle. I like to feel confident in the equipment and that I have done everything I can to keep things road ready. I am NOT a risk-taker! 7-10 years would give me sweaty palms.
The pressure give on all tire pressure/weight charts is COLD (not driven over one mile). It's OK to check the pressure at gas stops but DON'T bleed air off.
I've never even had a flat tire on the MH with Michelins. Only tire I've eve had blow out was a Goodyear on the '97 Jeep GC we had.
Replaced our OEM Michelins at about 8 years. Small cracks around the lettering at that time.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:02 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Hi WannaBFlTmer,
Based on the information you supplied, I'd go with the cheapest tire you feel comfortable with. Because I buy only Michelin tires, I can not help you with suggestions.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:33 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Tire time

When considering tires prior to a major trip I can only offer this advice; It is waayyyy more expensive to replace them on a dark and stormy night alongside the Interstate than shopping them at leisure and scheduling the replacement near your home base. When a tire blows it can cause a lot of damage to the RV besides the tire not to mention the possibility of injury.

I had a blowout in West Kansas and my wife was walking from the bathroom at the time and was so shocked by the loud boom she stumbled and broke a toe. It took me 4 hours along the windy, noisy interstate to get a tire that wasn't even close to the type on the rest of the RV. I learned being thrifty is not always the safest.
2016 Ford Edge toad
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:40 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

According to the tire manufactures minor surface cracking of the sidewall is not a totally bad thing. Two things here. One check the Michelin chart below on sidewall cracking and see where yours really falls and if Michelin says it is acceptable or not. Then go to page 7 of the Michelin tire manual and read. Let me add that side wall tire cracking can occur because the tire is in long term storage in a high ozone area such as close to power lines and things like that or exposed to UV from not being covered OR from the MH not being driven much. The tire has oils in it that can dry out if not driven and heated up. When the oils dry out then surface cracking can occur. The tire needs to be heated up from driving and flexing to get these oils flowing which in real tire engineering terms is called "blooming. Minor surface cracking is not a big thing but with all that being said if your DOT date is 2005 then you are against the age limit of the tire as you well know. I would base your decision on the Michelin crack chart below and what is said on page 7 of the Michelin handbook.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Michelin_Sidewall_Crack_Chart_1.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	38120  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RVTiresBrochure.pdf (1.98 MB, 24 views)
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:53 AM   #12

Keep in mind ALL tire load/inflation charts reflect the minimum acceptable air pressure for the corresponding load, not necessarily the optimum. Read them closely and you'll find that in the small print.
For me, the bottom line is; if either of you are uncomfortable with tire condition replace them immediately. RVing is supposed to be relaxing and fun, it's not fun to worry.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:45 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Keep in mind ALL tire load/inflation charts reflect the minimum acceptable air pressure for the corresponding load, not necessarily the optimum. Read them closely and you'll find that in the small print.
For me, the bottom line is; if either of you are uncomfortable with tire condition replace them immediately. RVing is supposed to be relaxing and fun, it's not fun to worry.
+1 I agree
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:32 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Are you sure you are replying to the correct post. I don't believe the OP had any questions about inflation pressures or load/inflation tables.

Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote