Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2005, 05:56 PM   #1

Well here's a new one.

Just received a new magazine from Lazy Days ( we got our first MH from them ). In the Mag, their tech expert under the question section concerning MH tire, he responded to the following question. "How often should I rotate my tires?" He, Bill Hazell, replied, " ...provided that alignment is checked annually and found to be within manufacturer's specs, tires should typically not require rotation. The manufacturer would suggest that in order to extend the tire life, the front ones should be switched from side to side approximately every 20,000 miles"
I was under the impression that all tires should be rotated every 6,000 miles. Just goes to show I don't know everything. s/Toby

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2005, 05:56 PM   #2

Well here's a new one.

Just received a new magazine from Lazy Days ( we got our first MH from them ). In the Mag, their tech expert under the question section concerning MH tire, he responded to the following question. "How often should I rotate my tires?" He, Bill Hazell, replied, " ...provided that alignment is checked annually and found to be within manufacturer's specs, tires should typically not require rotation. The manufacturer would suggest that in order to extend the tire life, the front ones should be switched from side to side approximately every 20,000 miles"
I was under the impression that all tires should be rotated every 6,000 miles. Just goes to show I don't know everything. s/Toby

Old 05-16-2005, 06:10 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
i would think that not only alignment should be checked, but inflation as well
but although this rotation really sounds like one of those things that should be done,
the last couple sets of tires i've bought for my vehicles, both off-road vehicles, i have not rotated them and have enjoyed reasonably even wear, and well over 50,000 miles per set. my last set came with a 'free life rotation' and when i went in there one day to get them rotated they told me it would be a 90 minute wait, i politely left without. the tires wore evenly to their natural demise.
i have two heavy duty jackstands and a lift, but if i'm 2 outa 2, i'm starting to wonder ...
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 05:44 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Just checking the Workhorse owners manual for the P & W series chassis (2003)and they recomend tire rotation every 6,000 miles for city driving and every 12,500 miles for highway driving.
Dave Killey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 07:10 AM   #5

I found if I don't rotate my rear tires, the wear, because of the 5er is excesive. This spring tires were 36% wore on the front, and 65% shot on the rear. Ended up having to buy four tires, to get everything running the same again. I'll make sure they're rotated more often now.

2007 GMC Duramax/Allison 6 spd SLT Crew
brad03ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 12:08 PM   #6

Last week at the Good Sam safe driving rally in Tampa, they emphasized checking tire inflation every time you get ready to go out. They weighed our rigs on all tires when we arrived and provided individualized advice. We're supposed to receive a formal computerized report in the mail soon. We found that our front tires were underinflated and the four rear tires overinflated. It was also very instructive that the way the coaches are constructed these days they do not sit evenly across each axle and there is not much one can do to get them evenly balanced. I was glad to learn that because I would have freaked out if we had just gotten the weights. The back is almost 2000 lb heavier on one side than the other!

Can't say enough about this rally, by the way. They only do it once a year for about 70 rigs, and it was fantastic. We understand much more than we did before about the safety issues and the hands on driving of cars and rigs was a real confidence builder.

Daisy, the Bichon/poodle 2006 Allegro Bus 40QDP/2003 Jeep Liberty
Lady Nyrtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 02:25 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

For the Ford dually owners it is much easier.
Ford only recommends rotation of the fronts. Side to side only and every 5000 miles. The rear duals are not rotated.
Chet
Old 05-18-2005, 04:43 AM   #8

This topic can alarm a lot of folks and cause panic. Tire rotation doesn't pretain to all vehicles. Some vehicles may never need the tires rotated, where others may need to be every 6,000 miles, as some of you have said.

When it comes to a diesel pusher or bus, to satisfy your conscience, you'll pay dearly to rotate those tires.

I've been to a number of tire manufactures and their siminars and unless you have a problem or unusual wearing, your main concern is coach weight at each axel, the proper tire pressure and inspection of your tires periodically.

As far as Larry & Mary, you need to contact Newmar, if your coach is off that much. You have serious problem, which needs to be corrected asap. Keep us updated.

Tomcat F15
Old 05-18-2005, 07:46 AM   #9

I think rotating tires on a motorhome is an unecessary expense. I wouldn't think most people would put enough miles on the tires to justify it. The tires should be replaced when they are five years old unless you get them professionly inspected and this requires unmounting the tires. I would rather apply the cost of inspection to new tires.

Joe
Old 05-18-2005, 05:59 PM   #10

JoeT
I think that is very good advice. I think I'll take it. I have 7000 miles on our new MH and was planning on getting them rotated since my Workhorse book said to rotate them. But then I read that artical in the Mag and it got me wondering. I called a local alingment shop here in town and he told me he could not determine if the tires were out of line merely by looking at the tires unless excess ware was showing. He wants $90 to align. So I'm gonna think about it some more. Another shop wanted $120 just to rotate the tires. s/Toby