Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2007, 09:10 AM   #1

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

As I posted on the Newmar forum. The Right Front tire outside edge was wearing as was the inside edge of left front. Front end alignment and alignment of the duals/tag resulted in some front end adjustment and a correction on the right rear duals by 3/8 ths of an inch. I was told this was the cause of the unusual tire wear.
I have two questions and would appreciate a response-
1) will the uneven tire wear continue even though the alignment has been corrected?
2) Should I rotate the front tires to the duals or tag axles?
I appreciate your response

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2007, 09:10 AM   #2

As I posted on the Newmar forum. The Right Front tire outside edge was wearing as was the inside edge of left front. Front end alignment and alignment of the duals/tag resulted in some front end adjustment and a correction on the right rear duals by 3/8 ths of an inch. I was told this was the cause of the unusual tire wear.
I have two questions and would appreciate a response-
1) will the uneven tire wear continue even though the alignment has been corrected?
2) Should I rotate the front tires to the duals or tag axles?
I appreciate your response

Old 06-04-2007, 09:26 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Assuming the diagnosis was correct and the alignment was done correctly, there should be no further uneven wear.

If the fronts are not badly worn on the edges, I would not change them. If the wear is fairly severe, I'd swap them to the tag axle, just to have the best possible tires on the steer axle. A tire failure on a rear tire is a nuisance but a failure on the front wheels can be dangerous.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 06:29 PM   #4

Gary, thanks for your response. I had the front end aligned and tires rotated at 10K miles in June 2006. Rotated tires showed same wear pattern and I had a six point alignment done at 18k miles in December 2006. Front was Ok but curb side duals were out by 3/8ths of an inch. I'm hoping things have been done correctly. I will continue to monitor the tires.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:35 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Good luck - it is sometimes hard to find a really competent alignment shop, especially for large rigs. Keep watching those tires!
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 08:30 PM   #6

I don't know if my experience with a similar issue on a car applies, but here goes.

After the alignment the tires continued to wear in the same spot. A front end tech told me that once a wear pattern develops on a front tire that it will continue to wear the same way, an alignment will not stop the pattern. My one data point supported his statement. The tires in this case had a significant pattern, and it was a car.

I agree with Gary, if the pattern is pronounced, I would swap them to ensure the largest safety margin possible on the front. Knowing that swapping tires is not something you do in the driveway, I would carefully measure the fronts across the width of the tire and record those tread depths. Drive it for a couple of thousand miles and remeasure. If they are wearing evenly based on your first measurements, then my theory is baloney.

1995 Newell, 470HP Detroit Diesel Series 60
Bikeboy57 is offline   Reply With Quote