Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2012, 10:39 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Tire Safety Question

Some owners manuals stress that a snap-on chuck, extension and remote gage be used to inflate tires. It is also covered in THIS tire safety video.

I've been filling my tires with a regular inflator marketed as a truck tire inflator for a year. Plus, when I search for similar products, I can't find anything but inflators much like mine.

Does anyone use a snap-on chuck and extension; or, are you like me, and crouched beside the tire?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2012, 11:24 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have two gauges with the snap on connectors. Problem with it is that it won't work on the standard truck type arrangement so I had to put "U" shaped extenders on the outside duals. Works OK but the extenders sometimes rotate. Haven't lost any air due to it but I'm sure it will happen

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:24 AM   #3

Normal minor inflation of an in-service tire does not pose the same hazard as initial inflation of a new tire. If you are adding 10 psi or less, it is very doubtful that a tire will suddenly fail. If the tire has been run more than 10 psi below its recommended pressure, then it is possible that internal damage has occurred.

It is always a good idea to perform a visual inspection of any tire before inflating. Pay particular attention to dual tires, as objects like rocks and road debris can get wedged between the tires and cause sidewall failure.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:22 AM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
Normal minor inflation of an in-service tire does not pose the same hazard as initial inflation of a new tire. If you are adding 10 psi or less, it is very doubtful that a tire will suddenly fail. If the tire has been run more than 10 psi below its recommended pressure, then it is possible that internal damage has occurred.

It is always a good idea to perform a visual inspection of any tire before inflating. Pay particular attention to dual tires, as objects like rocks and road debris can get wedged between the tires and cause sidewall failure.
Michelin says 20% low is the danger point. At that point it's considered as "run flat" and needs to be broken down and inspected inside also.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:05 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I use lock on chuck and 12' lead from digital tire inflator. I doubt I will ever experience a tire failure but no point in risking it when it's easy to avoid.

Keep in mind if you are buying a lock on chuck to use with a tire inflator the chuck must come with valve open. This allows air pressure from the tire to flow back to your inflator gauge. Air chucks are sold as Open or Closed.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:26 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNeophytes2 View Post
Some owners manuals stress that a snap-on chuck, extension and remote gage be used to inflate tires. It is also covered in THIS tire safety video.

I've been filling my tires with a regular inflator marketed as a truck tire inflator for a year. Plus, when I search for similar products, I can't find anything but inflators much like mine.

Does anyone use a snap-on chuck and extension; or, are you like me, and crouched beside the tire?
i have been using the psiclops clip on inflater for about 2 years. it is designed so that you can inflate a pair of tires at 1 time. it is working well for me.

Vulcan Tire Sales - PsiClops Gauge - Tires, Tire Chains, Tire Gauges and More... Falken - Goodyear - Pirelli - Roadmaster - Avon
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:16 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Links for lock on open chucks.
Air Chucks - Air Chucks & Air Line Inflator & Gauge Assemblies | MSCDirect.com

Air Chucks - Air Chucks & Air Line Inflator & Gauge Assemblies | MSCDirect.com
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:10 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
First let me say that I have (and use) the snap on chuck with a 20' hose to the inflator/guage assembly...
When acquiring 6 new 22.5" tires I noted the "mechanic" was using a hand held inflator chuck. I asked if that was dangerous (while standing a good distance away). He said that with one piece rims he had never heard of a tire failure. He changed all 6 tires in 30 minutes so can assume he'd been at it awhile... I still use the 20' method.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:23 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN L View Post
i have been using the psiclops clip on inflater for about 2 years. it is designed so that you can inflate a pair of tires at 1 time. it is working well for me.

Vulcan Tire Sales - PsiClops Gauge - Tires, Tire Chains, Tire Gauges and More... Falken - Goodyear - Pirelli - Roadmaster - Avon
This link shows them as discontinued! I love the concept and want to purchase. Where can i find something like it?

Tom
Old 01-03-2012, 06:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Michelin says 20% low is the danger point. At that point it's considered as "run flat" and needs to be broken down and inspected inside also.
Michelin(Janet Stevens) calls tires(that have a sidewall PSI of 80) that blow out with 80-90 PSI as "Run Flat".
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:46 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Please Elaborate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
Michelin(Janet Stevens) calls tires(that have a sidewall PSI of 80) that blow out with 80-90 PSI as "Run Flat".
I'm in the middle of our weight/tire spectrum, Michelin calls for my tires to be operated 85 psi at 60F and my axle-end weight. Sidewall limit is 125 psi.

Yours shouldn't be too far off, right?

Official Declaration of Best Thread In my memorable first year of ownership, which was completed just prior to Christmas 2011, I've never seen such an informative series of answers. Thanks to you all.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:09 AM   #12

This was on the truck I used to pull my 5er when I had it. Sidewall pressure said 80 PSI max and I checked them before each trip. Two of them blew with 80 PSI. Tires that are "Run Flat" do not go BOOM and destroy the side of the bed and tail pipe.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:53 AM   #13
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
RVNeo---2,
I do as you do, crouch and fill.

If I had retainer rings for the rims, I would consider doing it differently
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:29 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
just ordered PSICLOPS off ebay. lotsum there. $35 shipped.

WORKHORSE W-22
cannon man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
safety