Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2008, 01:15 PM   #1

Has anyone had their tires SIPED? What were your results? I am mostly looking for a smoother ride and better traction. Didn't find anything using the Find feature.

Thanks in advance,
Paul
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2008, 01:15 PM   #2

Has anyone had their tires SIPED? What were your results? I am mostly looking for a smoother ride and better traction. Didn't find anything using the Find feature.

Thanks in advance,
Paul
Old 05-05-2008, 03:54 PM   #3

Paul

Google Tire Siping and you will get a lot of hits explaining what it is and providing opinions "value added".

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Has anyone had their tires SIPED? What were your results? I am mostly looking for a smoother ride and better traction. Didn't find anything using the Find feature.

Thanks in advance,
Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Old 05-05-2008, 04:50 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Took you a long time to get here Fred. Your knowledge and participation here will greatly enhance iRV2.

You'll like it here.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 07:14 PM   #5

Siped the all-terrain tires on my 2WD 3/4 ton truck to help with snow traction, and traction was better than former tires. It was worth the $10 each IMHO. Don't know about better wear, since I sold the truck be4 they were half worn. I have no plans to sipe motorhome tires. Toad tires? Depends on the tires I get.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:29 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Bridgestone, Goodyear, and Michelin do not recommend siping of their tires. Most cases of siping will void their warranty. Cooper too!

The major three spend millions on tread designs and testing. I don't see how a $10 tire sipe process will improve that tire? If you need snow tires, buy a snow tire. Don't expect that all season tire that has been siped to retain all of its qualities in wear and dry traction.

Some believe, some don't. I fall into the don't category.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:57 AM   #7
doc

Appalachian Campers
I have to agree with Tom and Patty &gt; If this works (and I have no experience one way or another) then you are some of the major tire manufacturers not doing this?
Of course there is a lot of things you folks up north do to deal with all that snow and ice during the winters that us ole boys from down South never heard of. So I guess, if it isn't dangerous or shortens tire life, then go ahead if it helps you get around better.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:25 AM   #8

I have had sipped tires on lots of trucks.

I also had a set on a past pickup sipped.

They do what they are supposed to do, which is provide better traction on ice. Basically sipping is small close together razor cuts in the tread surface, which will "Open" when under pressure to provide more traction. I can tell you they work well, and if you are in a situation where you are doing a lot of traveling on snow and ice they are worth the $10.00 a tire.

The Mfg's don't like the idea because it does accelerate wear. I felt my sipped tires would last only about 2/3's what a non-sipped tire in the same model lasted.

So, if you in a situation like we were-- hitting lots of unplowed roads and trying to back into and out of ice covered loading docks in the northern states, they are great. I would really have to question though if it is worth it on a Motorhome that really isn't operated often in bad weather, and when you run into bad weather the choice to just get off the road is much easier, since your not being held to a time schedule.

My thoughts...

John
Moder2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 12:18 PM   #9

My company quit sipeing the tires on our semi's because of premature wear. We run Bridgestones and had chunks of tread coming off. I beleave that it could help with ice and snow when they are new, but once the sipe edges are rounded off from wear they wouldn't do any good. And how much ice and snow do you encounter? Tire companies put alot of research into their tread design for traction, wear and noise and even legit snow tires don't have sipeing. I don't beleave it's worth the cost. We chain if the roads are bad, and sipeing isn't going to help then anyway.
Panbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 01:03 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I asked my Michelin truck tire dealer (a BlueBird MH owner) about sipping. With the advent of computer designed tread patterns and extensive tire testing sipping is no long needed or desirable.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 01:50 PM   #11

Electricfoot, I have to disagree about "legit snow tires." I run Cooper Discovery M+S winter tires on my Dodge Durango, and each one of the lug blocks has 5 sipes (stock, not added on) running across it. They extend down about 60% of the lug thickness. The center rib is siped every 1/4 inch. These tires bite real well on snow and ice. Around here, I have encountered snow from Sept. through May. But I don't drive the RV in these conditions, so no siping the coach tires.