Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2010, 02:06 PM   #1

Commercial Member

Monaco Owners Club
Question Tire Storage - DP??

Looking for ideas on how to store an extra tire for trip to Alaska?? Just put new Bridgestone's on ( 285/80-22.5 - HEAVY & BIG!), saved 1 old tire for emergency? It won't fit in basement, have a scooter hitch busy with that! Want to put on roof, but can't figure how to secure it. Any ideas?? Thanks!

Downsizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2010, 02:30 AM   #2

I was able to fit my unmounted spare in the basement area pretty easily. I had considered keeping it on the roof between the rear A/C and the small luggage rack area at the very back of the Motorhome if I couldn't fit it in the basement. I was going to use the smaller 1" wide ratcheting straps running from the mounting points of the A/C unit to the luggage rack to secure it. If it's unmounted and you store it on the roof find some heavy plastic to wrap/tape the tire in first so it doesn't fill with water.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:43 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downsizer View Post
Looking for ideas on how to store an extra tire for trip to Alaska?? Just put new Bridgestone's on ( 285/80-22.5 - HEAVY & BIG!), saved 1 old tire for emergency? It won't fit in basement, have a scooter hitch busy with that! Want to put on roof, but can't figure how to secure it. Any ideas?? Thanks!
how about something like this dual hitch adapter from harbor freight? i use this adapter to mount my bicycle rack on and tow my dolly and car. it works well for me. i use 2 hitch immobilizers from roadmaster. i don't recommend the roadmaster product.

Dual Hitch Extender

RVUpgradeStore - Search Results
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00629.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	6728  
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 08:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Couple of ideas depending on how heavy this thing is. I was going to put my spare up from the rear, to a bumper mounted tire rack on the front. Before I could order it, I threw the tire on the roof in front of the A/C , and forgot to secure it. Drove around 1000 miles at highway speed until "Oh Sh*t, the tire!". Looked up on the roof, and it hadn't budged!

The point is, if you do put it on the roof, it doesn't take much to secure it. My first try though, would be a front mounted solution for easier access.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:22 PM   #5

My Tradewinds came with a mounted tire tucked in the passthru bin with one side resting on the shelf and the other held up with a modified screw jack.I installed an eye bolt thru the floor and use a ratchet strap to hold it up.The jack system used too much room.I have room between the frames and thought of fabricating a rack to hold the tire.
BOB
Old 11-20-2010, 10:47 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
If it won't fit because of the width try squeezing it with a ratchet strap ! May just squeak in that way!
Old 11-21-2010, 08:33 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Looking for ideas on how to store an extra tire for trip to Alaska?? Any ideas?? Thanks!
You don't mention whether you are towing a Toad or not. If so, does it have a roof rack? If not, can one be installed to hold the tire strapped onto the roof rack? As posted earlier, wrap it to keep out road debris and rain. If you are NOT taking a Toad, I would highly recommend rethinking that as there will be hundreds of times where you will want one. Especially, if you were to breakdown and have no cell signal, you may have to drive quite a distance before finding a signal or find someone with a land line to call for roadside assistance.

I didn't have a problem when we went to Alaska this past summer. I towed a 26 foot trailer that held everything I own (R JUNK). We are now Alaskans with Alaska driver's licenses but will always winter in the South.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Old 11-21-2010, 08:53 AM   #8
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
There is a hitch mounted spare tire carrier that is advertised in the FMCA magazine. Ive seen it in person it looks fine but really stands out. I keep an un mounted spare in my side box I wrapped it in a large black construction garbage bag it slides in and out easy with the plastic bag.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:43 PM   #9

Commercial Member

Monaco Owners Club
Hi everyone... thanks for all the inputs and ideas.....
Unfortunately, the tire is HUGH... 42" outside diameter and won't even think about going into the basement. We have a scooter on a hitch in the back so that prevents it from hanging there.... otherwise, it would be ideal..... we could do with scooter on it but would be a real pain to get scoot off and on all the time..... may just get it up on the roof and kinda secure it.....like "wetboy" said, it probably won't move much.....also looking at securing in the front with the generator slideout door..... don't want to hurt the fiberglass door though..... pretty darn heavy!
Thanks for the covering ideas... forgot about that!!!

Downsizer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof tire storage, spare tire, tire storage