Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2011, 08:45 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayneey View Post
About 3 months ago I bought a Tire Traker TPMS system for my 08 Allegro Bay (Workhorse W-24 chassis) and 08 Honda CRV.

Since the initial installation, first on my 2008 Honda CRV by itself, and then later adding the 6 MH wheels, I found most wheel positions (not necessarily the same positions though) do not update after as much as 2 hours of driving. They do, however, seem to update when I reach my destination & stop, almost like everything is working in reverse.

I've had one sensor and the display/monitor unit replaced but my observed performance of the system remains the same. The next thing to try is a repeater (not yet installed) to see if that will remedy the situation.

Since returning from my last 3000+ mile RV trip (with the Tire Traker installed), I've been running the Tire Traker system in my 2008 Honda CRV only for about the past 6 weeks. I start out by recording the beginning pressure/temps on each wheel position & then check to see if updates have occurred about every 5 minutes. From what I could tell, all four tire positions were updating within about 20 minutes from when I began driving. As operation seemed to be okay, I turned off the monitor, mainly because it's distracting to drive and frequently check the monitor.

Today, prior to driving to my MH storage location in the CRV, I recorded the CRV's pressure & temps and drove to the storage location, about a 30 minute drive. This time only two positions updated (front passenger, rear driver positions), the other two remained the same. It was about 90F today so I feel confident the tire pressures would measurably increase from a cold start.

When I got to the storage facility, I removed and then re-installed the two sensors from the wheel positions that didn't update. On each wheel, the monitor recorded a no pressure condition within less than 3-4 seconds and then displayed updated pressure & temperatures when the sensors were screwed back on.

My plan is to power the repeater unit from a 12V gel cell battery I use for one of my amateur radio transceivers. This would allow me to experiment placing the repeater in various locations in case that makes a difference.

Reading other forums on the Tire Traker system, I haven't read of anyone experiencing this type of performance, except for one post from a person with a gas chassis. I'm starting to wonder if perhaps the ignition architecture of a gas chassis is causing interference.

Based on my observations, it appears the system is monitoring the sensor outputs, i.e., issuing a no pressure alert when the sensor is removed from a wheel position. However, not updating tire pressures & temperatures says that something just isn't working correctly.

I'd appreciate hearing other's experiences with this system, especially folks with a gas chassis. At this point I'm about ready to send the system back and start the evalutation process over again.

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance!!

Wayne
Wayne,
I installed the Tire TRaker system and wired the repeater in the rear closet and wired it to the closet light. I purchased it last year and just got back from a 4k mile trip and it worked perfectly. I did have to replace the monitor because it had a black bar on the screen. They replaced it ASAP.

Very satisfied with mine.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2011, 09:15 AM   #16

For the TireTraker/TireMinder:

1. If you even think you might need the repeater module, you do. More than 30' can be iffy without the repeater but with it I see solid reliability even with the monitor inside my house, 150' away from my unit. Don't mess around, just get the repeater (preferably the 12V powered one so you can install it and never think of it again.)

2. The unit will still receive low pressure warnings when in 'sleep' mode, just as if the unit were fully on. My unit never goes into sleep mode when I'm on the road due to normal movement of the vehicle and if anyone else's does I'm not sure that is normal.

3. If I remove a sensor from a tire I always get an low pressure alarm. If you don't you have either a bad sensor or battery.

4. You can check your pressure before leaving in the morning, simply look at the display. The readings may be up to 10-20 minutes old but I can't see what difference that makes.

My TireMinder unit (identical to Tire Traker) has worked pretty much flawlessly, the only glitch I have observed is that sometimes I can get an erroneous low pressure warning shortly after stopping after a high-speed run on warm days. I assume this to be due to the tire rapidly cooling and the pressure going down quickly enough to fool the sensor into thinking there may be a leak, seems to happen randomly to one sensor or another. Concerned me at first but now that I know about it it's not a problem.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:56 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
I have a 10 sensor system on order w/o booster for my 30' Moho and HHR. I'm curious if anyone else has a similar setup and if they had any signal issues with their toad. Also did you use teflon when screwing on the sensors or go with out?
My 40' with a rear closet had occasional dropped signals until I got the booster. I mounted it in the bedroom, and tapped into the power to the rear 12v power plug.
Quote:
Also did you use teflon when screwing on the sensors or go with out?[/
My TireTraker monitors work fine with no teflon tape.

I also sometimes get an erroneous leak warning shortly after pulling into a rest area or fuel stop on warmer days. When I see the pressure isn't actually falling I just keep an eye on it while fueling, etc and it eventually quits alarming. I did find reference to this possibly occuring in the manual ...as stated above, due to rapid temp drop.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:08 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
AFChap, txs for sharing.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:59 AM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I installed the 12V repeater prior to leaving on a trip this past August and it definitely improved the reporting of the sensors. But, I'll still get an occasional "NS" alert, however an actual reading will be displayed within a reasonable period of time.

During the middle of the above trip, I replaced the repeater with the battery operated version. I didn't have a convenient source of 12V in a closet and also wanted to experiment with finding the best mounting location. If I read the manual correctly, the monitor will display a low battery icon when it's time to change the batteries.

As we speak, the coach is in storage but I left the sensors on my Honda CRV and keep the monitor in the car. Interestingly, I'll get a "NS" reading from a CRV mounted sensor once in a while as well as one from the motorhome. As I said above, the pressure & temp reading are updated in a reasonable amount of time.

It's definitely winter here in Colorado with lots of slush on the roads as well as mud (my house is on a dirt road). It'll be a good test of the weather-worthiness of the sensors!

All in all, I'm satisfied with the TireTraker and am glad I have it. Even with the erroneous readings every now and then, the tests I've performed tell me the system is doing it's job and will issue an alert when there's a problem. And the customer service and support from Daryl has been outstanding!

Wayne

Wayneey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 01:26 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My truck and trailer are so long that it could not pick up the rear axle, so I added the booster. It is mounted at the front of the trailer and wire to a 12 volt light circuit.

Ken
Old 12-14-2011, 01:49 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
System arrived today, set baseline and installed sensors. My right inside dually does not show in my icons locations nor reads it. After a lot of swapping I removed the schrader valve on the extender and no air released! I'm assuming the issue is the extender not seating on the other end and will need to be replaced.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:57 PM   #22

That's pretty common, there doesn't seem to be much standardization in the precise height of the stem threads above the valve core release pin resulting in various products showing just that symptom. The only cure I've found is to swap to a similar product that happens to work better with whatever you have, i.e. in your case buying a different extender will likely solve the problem.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:13 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
there doesn't seem to be much standardization in the precise height of the stem threads above the valve core release pin
Sometimes the cure can be as simple as backing out the valve core a couple of revolutions (in the extension OR in the valve stem) ...that one may simply be screwed in further than the others.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:28 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
Sometimes the cure can be as simple as backing out the valve core a couple of revolutions (in the extension OR in the valve stem) ...that one may simply be screwed in further than the others.
I tried all that, finally pulled the back tire (lug nuts didn't seem all that tight) removed the extender and screwed on sensor worked fine. I then removed the schrader valve , sprayed on WD40 and reinstalled....still no go so I ordered 2 more extenders as none available locally. I have the same extender on the left side and no issues at all. Anyway thanks for the input.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:08 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I ordered new valve Camco valve extenders thru Amazon and rec'd them today. My old ones were 7" and these look to be 12" Anyway I ran one them between the 2 tires down a hole from the other valve so it wouldn't hang out so far. Solved the issue so I installed the extra on the other dually. BTW I can monitor the MoHo and toad from my office which is about 80' away. I'm sure this will change once I hit the road.
Old 12-18-2011, 02:59 AM   #26

So-
The bottom line seems to be they work pretty well, and you definitely need the extender.

What about using Teflon on the threads? Yes or No?

--------------------------------

Are they the same price no matter where you get them?

What about service? Any one source better than the others?
Old 12-18-2011, 06:35 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandClaudia View Post
So-
The bottom line seems to be they work pretty well, and you definitely need the extender.

What about using Teflon on the threads? Yes or No?

--------------------------------

Are they the same price no matter where you get them?

What about service? Any one source better than the others?
No to the Teflon, AntiSeize was recommended and I had a small packet laying around. I monitor the pressure this month for leaks and see how all goes. The Camco extenders were around $22 shipped from Amazon which I was am pleased with much better than what I had on.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:01 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The only problem I have had with the Tire Tracker has been it will occasionally not read a sensor. I remove it, remover the cover and wipe off the battery and it goes back to working.

Ken