Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2011, 11:32 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tire Traker TPMS

About 3 months ago I bought a Tire Traker TPMS system for my 08 Allegro Bay (Workhorse W-24 chassis) and 08 Honda CRV.

Since the initial installation, first on my 2008 Honda CRV by itself, and then later adding the 6 MH wheels, I found most wheel positions (not necessarily the same positions though) do not update after as much as 2 hours of driving. They do, however, seem to update when I reach my destination & stop, almost like everything is working in reverse.

I've had one sensor and the display/monitor unit replaced but my observed performance of the system remains the same. The next thing to try is a repeater (not yet installed) to see if that will remedy the situation.

Since returning from my last 3000+ mile RV trip (with the Tire Traker installed), I've been running the Tire Traker system in my 2008 Honda CRV only for about the past 6 weeks. I start out by recording the beginning pressure/temps on each wheel position & then check to see if updates have occurred about every 5 minutes. From what I could tell, all four tire positions were updating within about 20 minutes from when I began driving. As operation seemed to be okay, I turned off the monitor, mainly because it's distracting to drive and frequently check the monitor.

Today, prior to driving to my MH storage location in the CRV, I recorded the CRV's pressure & temps and drove to the storage location, about a 30 minute drive. This time only two positions updated (front passenger, rear driver positions), the other two remained the same. It was about 90F today so I feel confident the tire pressures would measurably increase from a cold start.

When I got to the storage facility, I removed and then re-installed the two sensors from the wheel positions that didn't update. On each wheel, the monitor recorded a no pressure condition within less than 3-4 seconds and then displayed updated pressure & temperatures when the sensors were screwed back on.

My plan is to power the repeater unit from a 12V gel cell battery I use for one of my amateur radio transceivers. This would allow me to experiment placing the repeater in various locations in case that makes a difference.

Reading other forums on the Tire Traker system, I haven't read of anyone experiencing this type of performance, except for one post from a person with a gas chassis. I'm starting to wonder if perhaps the ignition architecture of a gas chassis is causing interference.

Based on my observations, it appears the system is monitoring the sensor outputs, i.e., issuing a no pressure alert when the sensor is removed from a wheel position. However, not updating tire pressures & temperatures says that something just isn't working correctly.

I'd appreciate hearing other's experiences with this system, especially folks with a gas chassis. At this point I'm about ready to send the system back and start the evalutation process over again.

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance!!

Wayne

Wayneey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2011, 10:32 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Wayne - I have the same system installed on my 37' Newmar gasser but I have not yet added sensors for the toad. On a recent winter trip from Michigan to California and back, I had similar problems with getting a signal from the sensors but only on my rear dual wheels. Contacted the supplier and he sent me a couple new sensors which didn't make a difference, a new monitor and finally, a repeater to try. After installing the repeater, it appears the system is now working but I have not taken an extended trip to verify that as yet. I am a little disappointed in the system but not quite ready to give up yet, I bought it on the recommendations from a couple forum members who have had good luck.

DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:06 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I put a TireTracker system on my coach and toad last September as a replacement for a TST system I had all kinds of failures/reliability problems with. The TireTracker has been totally trouble-free ...I did and the booster after about 3 month's use due to occasional "lost signal" issues on the toad. It does sometomes seem slow to update "normal" pressure readings, but I don't consider that a problem as I know from experimenting that it reacts very quickly when a sensor is removed, etc. My advice would be "relax and don't try to out-think the system." I trust my TireTracker, and am very happy to have a TPMS that is not "treating" me to frequent failed sensors and flat tires due to leaking sensors!
Old 06-16-2011, 03:22 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Paul - Thanks for weighing in. You were one of the guys I referred to above who recommended the system to me.
DandS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:03 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dave & Paul,

Thanks very much for sharing your experiences! I'm going to proceed with hooking up the repeater to the 12V battery and experiment putting it in different locations.

I appreciate Paul's comment, ""relax and don't try to out-think the system." On every occasion I've removed a sensor the system has been quick to issue an alert so I do feel comfortable that tire pressures are being correctly monitored. It's just been difficult to balance that with wheel positions not updating and wondering if something's not working correctly.

After I have additional information (may take a month or two given my summer schedule of selling my house) I'll do an update and report what I find.

Thanks again guys!

Wayne

Wayneey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:49 PM   #6

I've had my Tiretraker for a couple of months now. - three trips. Sensor battery went dead right off the bat. I replaced it and everything seems fine. My only complaint is that I didn't read, or understand, the specs correctly about "going to sleep" and having to travel a short distance prior to being able to read pressures and temperatures.

If I could find a TPMS that would allow me to check real time pressures BEFORE leaving in the morning, I'd buy it in a heart beat. Not thrilled with the prospect of leaving a campground and getting 10 miles down the interstate, having to scroll thru the positions a few times to see if has updated, and then finding I need air in one of the tires.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:39 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
the specs ... about "going to sleep" and having to travel a short distance prior to being able to read pressures and temperatures.
I had wondered the same thing when I bought the system, wondering about "the system" having to wake up due to vibration before reporting any problem. I have done some experimenting with mine, and while the monitor definitely does "go to sleep," I am not convinced the sensors do. I do know that the monitor "wakes up" very easily at any loud noise or vibration, like slamming the door, dropping keys, etc. Sometimes I will manually turn off the monitor so it will not be constantly waking up with a "beep", etc. Then before departing, I turn the monitor on first thing in the morning. While disconnecting water, power, etc, I figured flicking each sensor a couple of times with a finger would wake it up if necessary ...I am still not sure whether or not that is necessaryf. I really do believe the system would tell me if there were a problem, but have not yet had a flat tire on departure morning to check out my theories...
Old 06-17-2011, 08:16 PM   #8

Lawrence RV answered my inquiry on this subject and stated that, even though the system doesn't update until "waking up", it does continually monitor and will report an alarm level reading (flat tire) when sitting still. Sounds ok but, when I removed the sensor to replace the battery, it did not indicate low pressure while the sensor was off the tire.

The jury is still out as far as I'm concerned.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:50 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
when I removed the sensor to replace the battery, it did not indicate low pressure while the sensor was off the tire.
you didn't have low pressure ...you had a missing sensor, or more likely a "ns" (no signal) due to the dead/missing battery. My system does react immediately when I remove a sensor. But if you already had a dead battery, the system had no capability to react beyond whatever it did to tell you the battery was dead.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:10 AM   #10

Thanks - that does make sense.
I probably need to find something else to worry about.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:52 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayneey View Post
About 3 months ago I bought a Tire Traker TPMS system for my 08 Allegro Bay (Workhorse W-24 chassis) and 08 Honda CRV.

Since the initial installation, first on my 2008 Honda CRV by itself, and then later adding the 6 MH wheels, I found most wheel positions (not necessarily the same positions though) do not update after as much as 2 hours of driving. They do, however, seem to update when I reach my destination & stop, almost like everything is working in reverse.

I've had one sensor and the display/monitor unit replaced but my observed performance of the system remains the same. The next thing to try is a repeater (not yet installed) to see if that will remedy the situation.

Since returning from my last 3000+ mile RV trip (with the Tire Traker installed), I've been running the Tire Traker system in my 2008 Honda CRV only for about the past 6 weeks. I start out by recording the beginning pressure/temps on each wheel position & then check to see if updates have occurred about every 5 minutes. From what I could tell, all four tire positions were updating within about 20 minutes from when I began driving. As operation seemed to be okay, I turned off the monitor, mainly because it's distracting to drive and frequently check the monitor.

Today, prior to driving to my MH storage location in the CRV, I recorded the CRV's pressure & temps and drove to the storage location, about a 30 minute drive. This time only two positions updated (front passenger, rear driver positions), the other two remained the same. It was about 90F today so I feel confident the tire pressures would measurably increase from a cold start.

When I got to the storage facility, I removed and then re-installed the two sensors from the wheel positions that didn't update. On each wheel, the monitor recorded a no pressure condition within less than 3-4 seconds and then displayed updated pressure & temperatures when the sensors were screwed back on.

My plan is to power the repeater unit from a 12V gel cell battery I use for one of my amateur radio transceivers. This would allow me to experiment placing the repeater in various locations in case that makes a difference.

Reading other forums on the Tire Traker system, I haven't read of anyone experiencing this type of performance, except for one post from a person with a gas chassis. I'm starting to wonder if perhaps the ignition architecture of a gas chassis is causing interference.

Based on my observations, it appears the system is monitoring the sensor outputs, i.e., issuing a no pressure alert when the sensor is removed from a wheel position. However, not updating tire pressures & temperatures says that something just isn't working correctly.

I'd appreciate hearing other's experiences with this system, especially folks with a gas chassis. At this point I'm about ready to send the system back and start the evalutation process over again.

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance!!

Wayne
I mounted my repeater in the rear closet and tied into the 12v closet light. I have been on 1 trip and all worked well on MH and toad. Getting ready for a 4000 mile trip that will be a good test.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:37 PM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
.....Sometimes I will manually turn off the monitor so it will not be constantly waking up with a "beep", etc. Then before departing, I turn the monitor on first thing in the morning. ...

Just wondering how do you turn the monitor off?
I tried a few times by pressing some buttons simultaneously and erased some sensors.. I didn't see any power off button anywhere on the monitor, looked through the manual and no mention of it either.
Just had my system for one 200 mile round trip and it seems to work fine otherwise. I bough the battery booster as well, as I read some folks complaining about sensor loss, however didn't install it yet as my worked fine so far ( I only have a 33' gasser no toad).

Thanks.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:48 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
To turn the TireTracker monitor off, press and hold the center button down until it turns off. It will beep a time or two, go into set mode, etc before it shuts down ...just ignore all that and keep holding the button down for the 10 or 15 seconds or whatever it takes. To turn it back on, press the same button.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:52 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have a 10 sensor system on order w/o booster for my 30' Moho and HHR. I'm curious if anyone else has a similar setup and if they had any signal issues with their toad. Also did you use teflon when screwing on the sensors or go with out? Txs and Happy Holidays.