Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2013, 08:03 PM   #1
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Tire Valve Extension or not?

The valves on the rear tires on my coach must have been put by a moron as I can't even get my hand in there to take the valve caps off let alone put air in the tires. The same morons put the tire side with the date on the inside. My question is what is the best way to remedy the problem; use valve extensions and then put my TPMS on those, or simply have the tires taken off, put the right kind of valves with proper orientation? Any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Regards to all!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2013, 08:06 PM   #2

IMO, only one choice for me. Dually Valves Dually valve kits for Motor-homes, Busses and 6-wheeled chassis Bought them seven years ago. No leaks, TPMS fits nicely. If I wish to check manually or add air I do not have to kneel or lay on the ground.
jzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:10 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Replace the OEM valve stems with Dually Valve stems that are solid metal. You will have to remove and dismount the tires from the rims to install them but well worth the money.

Dually valve kits for Motor-homes, Busses and 6-wheeled chassis

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:35 PM   #4

Carolina Campers
I have a very recent example of a situation that may impact your direction on this matter.

I had my RV serviced a week or so ago and it was found that my inside left rear tire was either very low or almost empty of air pressure. After having it pumped up I took the rig over to my tire service vendor.

After checking it out, it was determined that the extension for that tire was a little loose, resulting in a slow leak. My tire service man is very experienced and informed me that the primary reason he has found for RV leaks are the extensions.

They have a long stem that he recommended that would provide the ability to check and fill the tire versus having extensions. That is what may be the better solution over extensions.

Regardless, I would also recommend getting the tire monitor system as well. I have a friend that has suffered two blowouts that resulted in coach damage as well as being stranded. He got the system installed and it tracks both the pressure and heat level of the coach and his toad. He believes that the monitoring system has prevented tire issues as well as provides a pease of mind that is worth the cost.

I plan on ordering one as well.

Travel safe,
Ted
tedgard01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:39 PM   #5

I used metal extension that worked fine.
I just changed to Cross Fire tire equalizes so I only have one fill for both tires. They used braded lines that some people don't like. But the truck that put them on said they have had any leaking problems. Mine have to values to attach mt tpms sensors to.
rexabbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:38 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
You can remove the inner dual and add a long metal stem. The only issue with this is they need to be supported as they come through the outer dual so they don't flop. On 22.5 rims, they use a rubber plug that fits into one of the wheel holes and supports the stem.

I don't understand how Dually Valve stays in business at over a $100.00 a pop. You can go to a tire store that handles RV's and buy a one piece long metal valve stem for $10.00. That's what I paid for mine while I had new tires installed. I found later I could get them on line for about $6.00.

I'm very anal and I didn't like the look of the plug that supports the long stem, so here is what I did.

I made a small aluminum support that slipped over two studs between the inner and outer dual that supports the long stem. You can see the edge of it in the photo above.

The outer dual you can flip the stem around or just replace with a short straight stem.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:40 AM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
I use 4" solid metal extensions ($10 ea @ RV store) and Alcoa rubber stabilizers. $6 extensions from truck tire place were junk ...inner core too short to work. If you aren't using a tpms, get Alligator caps. They are double seal, high pressure, check/fill through the cap. Check out both options on my page here Tire Date Codes/Tire Care
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:19 AM   #8

Metal extensions for sure. I had flex type extensions on previous coach that had standard round type o-rings, hard to assure of a seal. Sure enough, had tire service and voila! leaked like crazy. The good metal extensions have "square-ring" o-rings, flat in cross section where the metal extension seals against the metal valve stem rim. Never had a leak problem.

However, when you have your duals serviced, make sure they put the extensions back where they are supposed to go (first, on the inner duals and not in their parts bin (duh), second in a rotation spot opposite the outer dual valve stem, third- with the rubber grommet back in place (and not in their spare parts bin (duh)). Gotta babysit those tire monkeys, and most service labor for that matter, not all of them have a full deck from which to deal. I'm not hacking on slow folk, just saying if you don't check their work you'll wind up heading to another service outfit on occasion to have something redone, as in the case of the OP (and this idiot when I had a tire mounted after a blowout, and didn't immediately check the work before driving away).
Old 05-09-2013, 09:19 AM   #9
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
I use 4" solid metal extensions ($10 ea @ RV store) and Alcoa rubber stabilizers. $6 extensions from truck tire place were junk ...inner core too short to work. If you aren't using a tpms, get Alligator caps. They are double seal, high pressure, check/fill through the cap. Check out both options on my page here Tire Date Codes/Tire Care
Thank you for your reply! I like the Alligator caps, but why can't you put the TPMS at the end of them?
Regards,
Old 05-09-2013, 09:24 AM   #10
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerMike View Post
Metal extensions for sure. I had flex type extensions on previous coach that had standard round type o-rings, hard to assure of a seal. Sure enough, had tire service and voila! leaked like crazy. The good metal extensions have "square-ring" o-rings, flat in cross section where the metal extension seals against the metal valve stem rim. Never had a leak problem.

However, when you have your duals serviced, make sure they put the extensions back where they are supposed to go (first, on the inner duals and not in their parts bin (duh), second in a rotation spot opposite the outer dual valve stem, third- with the rubber grommet back in place (and not in their spare parts bin (duh)). Gotta babysit those tire monkeys, and most service labor for that matter, not all of them have a full deck from which to deal. I'm not hacking on slow folk, just saying if you don't check their work you'll wind up heading to another service outfit on occasion to have something redone, as in the case of the OP (and this idiot when I had a tire mounted after a blowout, and didn't immediately check the work before driving away).
Thank you, I agree!
Old 05-09-2013, 09:30 AM   #11
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you, Diplomat Don! The pictures are helpful. You are absolutely right about Dually Valve. Regards,
Old 05-09-2013, 09:32 AM   #12
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexabbot View Post
I used metal extension that worked fine.
I just changed to Cross Fire tire equalizes so I only have one fill for both tires. They used braded lines that some people don't like. But the truck that put them on said they have had any leaking problems. Mine have to values to attach mt tpms sensors to.
This is a great idea! How hard is it to install, do you know?
Thanks,
Old 05-09-2013, 09:35 AM   #13
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfran304 View Post
Replace the OEM valve stems with Dually Valve stems that are solid metal. You will have to remove and dismount the tires from the rims to install them but well worth the money.

Dually valve kits for Motor-homes, Busses and 6-wheeled chassis

Jon
Good system, I concur! But at $120 each plus installation could get mighty expensive! Thanks for the input.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:15 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have Dually Valves and Alligator valve caps. I'm not compulsively thrifty so I am happy with my choice because it works and is convenient.

TPMS will not fit the Alligator caps because they are not threaded on the end, they have knurling there that looks like thread but they just give the pressure gauge some purchase on the end when filling.

When referring to Dually valves I think the intent is to suggest that the best extension is metal from rim to tip with no intermediate connections. If that can be done cheaper then great but it is the best way to insure a seal and avoid stem failure.

There are many options to choose from so shop smart; but in the end one metal tube rim to tip is the key.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote