Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2012, 08:13 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tired of polishing those headlights?

Just replace them-

My MH is a 2002 Newmar, Mountain Aire. I have polished my headlights for years now and spent a small forture trying different products and techniques. Not to mention the hours of work involved in attempting to clean up these lenses- to no acceptable result.

I recently "Googled" the "TYC" number on the front face of the existing headlights and side lights. I found the '98 Mercury Marquis units (4 of them) were readily available at a very reasonable price. I paid less than $100- that was with free shipping. New headlight bulbs were included in the units. I had the units in about two weeks.

Here are pics of the job replacing the four units--

The original units- UGH-

Three long , adjustable, bolts hold mine in. A spring clip has to be spread with an "expansion" snap ring pliers (1- 1 1/2 range) to remove these little devils. Don't fret if you damage the old ones- new ones are included in the replacement units.

In this picture you can see a stud and nut right below the one long stud. This is the side light unit's front mounting bolt. An external phillips screw holds the rear of the side unit in place.

Wow- look at the difference between the old and the new!

Here is a picture of the adjusting mechanisms. I moved the three new plastic round nuts to the same lengths as the original headlight unit settings. Large flat washers hold the units in place once the new spring clips are installed.

Here is how to adjust the headlights once installed. Each long stud has a small hex head machined on it's far end. It takes a 4 mm, or a 5/32" socket (a real small creature) and a 1/4" ratchet to adjust these bolts once the unit is installed.

Here is the new side light unit. A black rubber gasket is glued in place for the Marquis application. I had to remove it for my use.

Ah, finished--

About an hour and half of work-

I'm in Maine now parked for the summer, and I'll "tweak" the headlight adjustments when I leave here in the fall at the stick house where I can pull up to the double garage door and get a good reading on their settings. I'll have a 5/32" socket for that job by then.

Good luck folks if you attempt this on your rigs. It really is an easy job.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2012, 09:12 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Max, thanks for the great write up! Wonderful job and great idea to Google the p/n.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:35 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'll have to check but I think those are the same as our 2002 Dutch Star DP.

Thanks for the info.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:54 PM   #4
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Nice Max!

I just did the same thing with our 2003 HR Vacationer. I found ours on eBay. My headlights are the same as a 2002 Lincoln Navigator. Makes a huge difference in looks and function as do yours!
Old 05-14-2012, 10:28 PM   #5
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
What causes these things to go opaque anyways?
Old 05-14-2012, 11:22 PM   #6

dogpatch...UV rays is what discolors the plastic

max, good job..hopefully your lights are high quality...there are many remakes of the OE composite headlights...make sure your bulbs fit tightly into the assembly...many of the remakes do not...this creates a bouncing bulb when traveling thus creating your headlights to bounce the beam up and down the roadways...this will also cause premature bulb failure do the the extreme vibration the bulb is receiving.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:19 AM   #7

Before I go anywhere I spray them with Pledge Lemon Clean. I do not wipe the clean, just leave it on. Never had any sign of the problem. We did that to our motorcycle windshield. After 150K miles it still looked like new.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:59 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ya'll are very welcome- .

I think age and, as stated, exposure to the sun and elements are to blame. My "toad", an '06 Malibu is also showing signs of this dreaded "disease". What ever the cause is, I sure can replace them for this price every few years. My bulb sockets fit extremely tight into the new units- In fact they are so tight I was debating about smearing a little vaseline onto their mating faces- but a little extra effort got them in securely and tight.

You'll have to stand by a few years, or so, for a longevity report- .

I notice a new, 2012 Adventurer here in Maine, has those small round glass headlights being used now. I guess the manufacturers are learning a lesson.

I forgot to mention that those long adjusting bolts are designed to rotate in their socket, hence- the adjustment function. As long as the spring clip is secure in its mounted position, the long bolt will turn, in or outward, as it is designed to do.

Good luck all-
Old 05-15-2012, 07:29 AM   #9

Not saying it's totally responsible, but anything with alcohol in it (as in windshield wiper solvent) and plastic lenses don't mix well at all! In winter time/bad weather, resist any temptation to use the windshield squeegees at the gas station to clean your headlight lenses!
Old 05-15-2012, 07:55 AM   #10

Check this web site: http://www.clearmask.com
They sell a protective film to put over headlights to keep them from deteriorating. I have a new set of headlights coming for our motorhome and will use their product to protect them. Them hopfully won't have to get new lights again.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:53 PM   #11

Great post Max !! I need to do the same thing to ours.... I was wondering how to find out what the headlights fit... I'll try google...
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 09:47 PM   #12
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
All you have to do is get the part number off your existing light lense, then Google the part number. A bunch of sellers will come up offering that part. You will be surprised what parts your vehicle uses.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:48 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Maybe my initial post wasn't clear enough.

Here are some more pictures I just took-

Here is my right front headlight. Just to the right of the lower extended "Dimple" you can barely see "TYC" .

Here it is close up- "TYC 20-5359". That's what your looking for-

Just type that number onto "Google" and hit "Google Search".The search will tell you what vehicle your headlight assembly comes from.

Hope this clears up any confusion- .
Old 05-16-2012, 11:08 AM   #14

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Back to the Habah again Max?

Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote