Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2010, 07:48 PM   #1

Tires-19.5 v 22.5

When it is time to renew tires, is there any benefit to change to 22.5 and alloy wheels?

Thanks
Les

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2010, 08:12 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Would think if your chassis was factory equipped with 19.5's and the coach was built around that, there would be clearance issues with changing to 22.5's. There might also be issues with the transmission, etc.

I would certainly consult with the chassis manufacturer. Which chassis do you have.....Ford or Workhorse?

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:07 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Besides having to get your speedo recalibrated.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:22 PM   #4

I think getting the 22.5 alloy wheels to fit your existing hubs would be you biggest problem and along with items mentioned by the other posters
Old 04-20-2010, 07:18 AM   #5
paz

Chassis with 19.5" tires and 22.5" tires usually have different final drive ratios. That, combined with possible clearance problems (especially when turning), speedometer recalibration, the expense of new tires and the cost of new, aluminum wheels (approx. $2000) would (IMO) make the change not worth considering.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:46 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

If your chassis was designed around 19.5" wheels, there is no real advantage to changing to 22.5". The bigger tires might run a bit cooler, but that's about it, and you would have to spend a good chunk of money to change - new wheels, recalibrate speedo and odometer, maybe rear axle and wheel well changes, etc.

Stick with what you have.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:33 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Another advantage I can think of the stay with the 19.5s is you probably have a spare onboard with the 19.5s, that's not so easy with the 22.5s.
Easyrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:28 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
When should you change the tires?

I've heard that there's a chemical in tires that keeps the inner cords fresh that wears out in five or six years. Because of that, I've always thought that RV tires should be not be used more than six years-max., regardless of mileage or condition.

I've always thought that once the chemical is gone, the cords in the tire can age or rot from the inside, and you can't see that.

The DOT code on the tire will tell you the year the tire was made.
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Would think if your chassis was factory equipped with 19.5's and the coach was built around that, there would be clearance issues with changing to 22.5's. There might also be issues with the transmission, etc.

I would certainly consult with the chassis manufacturer. Which chassis do you have.....Ford or Workhorse?
Right now we do not have a coach. The reason for the question is that we have been looking and the units we have looked at will require tires. I will probably stick with whatever size is on the coach we get.
Thank for the responses.
Les
Old 04-22-2010, 03:58 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
i would like to install a pair of michelin super single x one rv tires on the back of my moho. at this time they are only manufactured in 22.5. size: 39.7'' diameter, 525 rpm per mile. vs 245/70-19.5 33.3 diameter, 625 rpm per mile.

Michelin Americas Truck Tires X One XRV Page

Michelin Americas Truck Tires XRV Page

i think there is just too much difference. i calculate that would be about a 16% overdrive. i would probably never get to 5th gear.
i have enough clearance in my wheel wells.
i don't really care about the speedometer error. i can make a correction table using my gps.
how would the allison hold up with this extra load?
what do ya'll think?
any ideas?
i gotta get tires next year.
just thinkin out loud...
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:07 AM   #11
paz

The big problem is it would be 16% overdrive ALL the time, which means acceleration will be waaaay slow.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 03:48 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
The big problem is it would be 16% overdrive ALL the time, which means acceleration will be waaaay slow.
what about fuel mileage? better, worse, the same?

01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote