Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2015, 08:31 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Ryegal
Tires

Fulltimers where do you buy my tires ?
Ryegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2015, 09:26 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Jayco Owners Club
At a tire store, sorry, couldn't help myself....
RBeau1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:37 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryegal View Post
Fulltimers where do you buy my tires ?
I won't buy your tires, you will have to pay for them yourself.😠
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 10:05 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
I won't buy your tires, you will have to pay for them yourself.��
even if you buy me honda and love me long time

i buy my new tires from my friend that owns a tire center , he specializes in otr tires
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 11:39 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
there is no one tire store or brand that is "best", you need to read the tire threads on this and other forums to get a feel for what success people have had and what they paid out-the-door. Personally I avoid Michelin and Goodyears, good tires but WAY too expensive. I put on Sailun S737s on about 5000 miles ago and am very pleased with them. $275 each out the door for 245/70R19.5s.
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 06:55 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Ryegal,
The tires one purchases depends on how much they will be used. Why spend the money on a top of the line brand if the tires are actually rolling down the road < 5K miles per year. If one travels > 10K per year, that is different. If you put a bunch of miles on the coach every year consider joining FMCA (FMCA is for motor coach and motorhome owners. Motorcoach articles, motor home blogs, motor coach advice and motorhome videos.). They have a program for purchasing Michelin tires at a very good price.

If few miles are traveled each year, consider whatever tires are purchased, maintenance is the keep to longevity. Keep the tires clean, dressed and covered.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 02:39 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

You didn't mention a size or type, or even if you have a trailer or a motorhome, but for anything bigger than about a 16" tire I would be shopping at commercial truck tire shops. See who has the size & load range you need and start calling around. Doesn't have to be Michelin or Good year either - I put Continentals on mine last time. Great tire at about 60% of what the big name brands wanted.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 03:09 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tires are made special for different types of vehicle, i.e.. Cars, light truck, heavy truck, trailers, and RVs. Tread wear, age-ing, heat, UV rays, driving speed and born dates are only a few of the differences among tires besides affecting ride, comfort and breaking.

Keeping you tires clean and covering them when parked will lengthen their lives.

Michelin is highly popular for its' RV tire. FMCA has a Michelin Tire Program to save its' members money on the purchase of tires. Michelin Advantage program - instructions
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 03:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggy Daddy View Post
Tires are made special for different types of vehicle, i.e.. Cars, light truck, heavy truck, trailers, and RVs. Tread wear, age-ing, heat, UV rays, driving speed and born dates are only a few of the differences among tires besides affecting ride, comfort and breaking.

Keeping you tires clean and covering them when parked will lengthen their lives.

Michelin is highly popular for its' RV tire. FMCA has a Michelin Tire Program to save its' members money on the purchase of tires. Michelin Advantage program - instructions

Michelin only builds one RV specific tire, the XRV. It's only available in 5 sizes. Goodyear also builds an RV specific tire, the G670. Both of these tires have had issues over the years. There are many truck tires available in both long distance and regional service categories and an all position design that do great in RV service.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 04:06 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
The statement about Michelin having few choices, for a coach, is not true. Michelin builds several different models of tires for coaches. Go to Tire Selector | Michelin RV Tires and scroll through the different coach tires. There are 11 different models of tires. Not all sizes for each model, but a selection is there.
Old 03-07-2015, 04:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
The statement about Michelin having few choices, for a coach, is not true. Michelin builds several different models of tires for coaches. Go to Tire Selector | Michelin RV Tires and scroll through the different coach tires. There are 11 different models of tires. Not all sizes for each model, but a selection is there.

I said RV specific. The other tires you refer to are fine choices for RV service but they are primarily truck tires. They were designed for commercial truck service. The only Michelin tire marketed as designed specifically for RV service is the XRV.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Old 03-07-2015, 05:11 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Steve,
We do not agree on this point. Your post implies there is only one Michelin tire for a coach. While you may be "legally" correct in your reply, Michelin does make several models of tires for coaches. I've had the XRV, XZA, XZA2, XZE and XZE2+. All performed in an outstanding manner. For Michelin choices, the bottom line is what size tire is needed. This will narrow one's choices. But, choices will be there.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:26 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Looked at the link(Have before when I bought) 11 different tire's...........only one with this definition:
All-position radial designed specifically for exceptional performance on recreational vehicles and motor homes in coach applications

I do not believe the XRV was out in 2010 when I bought.......?

I am thinking here that "RV Specific" means that they developed a tire just for RV's and Coach's, like their write up states.........wonder if any truck driver's put the XRV tire's on semi's?
Old 03-07-2015, 06:22 PM   #14

tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi Steve,
We do not agree on this point. Your post implies there is only one Michelin tire for a coach. While you may be "legally" correct in your reply, Michelin does make several models of tires for coaches. I've had the XRV, XZA, XZA2, XZE and XZE2+. All performed in an outstanding manner. For Michelin choices, the bottom line is what size tire is needed. This will narrow one's choices. But, choices will be there.

Gary, I believe that we agree. I'm simply saying that Michelin only markets one tire model as being designed for RVs and that's the XRV. The others that we routinely use are designed as truck tires. Michelin also builds a tire for bus service called the X Coach. It's made just in a couple of sizes. I have Michelin XZA2 Energy tires on my steer axle, but I understand that they were designed as long distance steer tires for the commercial market. For tire manufacturers, the motorhome market is too small to devote engineering resources to.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

Tags
tires