Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-05-2010, 07:20 PM   #1

I understand that tires should be replaced every 5 years. What about new tires that are 4 years old and have never been mounted. I am looking at a new set of michelin tires that are for sale at half the price of retail. The date code shows that they were manufactured in 2006. The seller claims that he talked to a tire store and they told him that tires have a 12 year shelf life.

OSL50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2010, 08:34 PM   #2
I suggest that you talk to a factory rep.. I don't think you will find any manufacture that will warreny a tire over 4 years. I have had tires blow out that were 5 or 6 years old. A factory rep showed me that the steel belts rust and break over time. When my tires blew out the side wall had a rip approx a foot long. I replace my tires at 5 or 6 years from manufacture date.

Darwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:42 AM   #3
The following is taken from the Michelin RV Tire Guide available on the Michelin web site:

"While most tires will need replacement before they
achieve 10 years, it is recommended that any tires in
service 10 years or more from the date of manufacture,
including spare tires, be replaced with new tires as a simple
precaution even if such tires appear serviceable and even if
they have not reached the legal wear limit."

Michelin recommends replacing tires at an age of 10 years regardless of how good they look. The age is from the date on the sidewall, not the in-service date. The biggest problem with RV tires is they usually sit for long periods of time. Driving them allows them to flex and bring UV and oxidation inhibitors to the surface where they can better protect the tires.

If the 2006 tires have been stored properly out of sunlight, you may get 5 years use out of them. But you could also get less. Although half price may seem like a bargain, you also have to add to that the cost of mounting and balancing, taxes, disposal fees, etc. If it were me, I would only buy those tires if I KNEW I were only going to keep the RV a couple of more years.
2015 DRV Tradition 375KPS
2015 Chevy Duramax 3500HD LTZ Dually
Full-timers...Home is where we park it.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:46 AM   #4
Thanks for the reply. I think I will stick with a tire dealer.
OSL50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:56 AM   #5
Last year we had the front tires replaced on our coach and I informed the tire dealer the new replacements must have a current year date code on the tires or I would not accept them. When he received them from the warehouse he showed me the 2009 date code.
Jim & SherrySeward

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote