Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2014, 07:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cola ny View Post
As far as PSI's what is the lowest on a compressor I should buy for class c
You will really need something that will be rated for over 100 PSI. You want the compressor to have a higher pressure than your tires to allow for a faster fill up. If you set the reg for 80 be prepared to wait while it slowly fills up. I looked at several places like Meijer, Target, Harbor Freight and by far the best value was the Porter Cable from lowes for $99. It is rated at 150 PSI and the SCFM at 90 PSI is considerable higher than any of the others that were only $30-$40 cheaper.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2014, 07:51 PM   #16

Most compressors have both a high cut off [eg 125 or 150PSI] and a lower cut in PSI [ie compressor cuts off at 125 but doesnt restart until 90 or 100 PSI. Its a real pain if the "cut-in" pressure is lower than the tire pressure you are trying to achieve. You reach equilibrium between your tire and the compressor and the compressor wont restart unless you bleed it down. Ideal is a 150 cut-off with a 125 cut-in--this will handle about any RV tire issue.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:11 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
...Im sure I will never need the compressor now but least I have one.
Frankly, I don't understand how anyone doesn't use a compressor, onboard or otherwise, on a very regular basis unless they don't move much. I use mine more often than I like because of mundane things like temperature changes. As an example, we left KY 3 weeks ago with temps in the 80-90 range and now are in Escanaba, MI with temps in the low 70s. On the way up, as we ran into cooler temps so we had to add air twice to all coach and toad tires to compensate for the drop in temps and thus drop in air pressure.

I'm just saying'...

I really like the portability of my Craftsman/Porter-Cable compressor. I've never even used my on-board compressor.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 01:31 PM   #18

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cola ny View Post
Hey Howie 80 PSI on the rear how about your front
Front is 65#.

Paul
Big Dog House On Wheels
2013 Coachmen Freelander 28QB
on 2012 Chevrolet 4500
Using iRV2 app
B D HOWie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 03:16 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
Frankly, I don't understand how anyone doesn't use a compressor, onboard or otherwise, on a very regular basis unless they don't move much. I use mine more often than I like because of mundane things like temperature changes. As an example, we left KY 3 weeks ago with temps in the 80-90 range and now are in Escanaba, MI with temps in the low 70s. On the way up, as we ran into cooler temps so we had to add air twice to all coach and toad tires to compensate for the drop in temps and thus drop in air pressure.

I'm just saying'...

I really like the portability of my Craftsman/Porter-Cable compressor. I've never even used my on-board compressor.
You should really not see much difference in cold tire pressures during the summers. The rule of thumb is 1 psi for each 10F of ambient air temps. So to fluctuate a few PSI is not uncommon for a cold tire. And again the tires must be cold as in sat over night before checking. I have recorded over 15 PSI if increased air pressures in my ambulance fleet (19.5" tires X6 X25) and with a base cold temp of 85PSI after a hard run they will be in the mid 90's to just over 100PSI on a summer day.

My motorhome was set at 85PSI when I placed it in winter storage and in the spring check over I did not indicate any drop in tire pressure at all. All summer long I precheck my pressures and never once had to adjust. But again this is checking a cold tire as this is the only way to check them.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 03:23 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I purchased our compressor from Sears but I don't think that particular model is available anymore. I'm sure any compressor rated for 150psi will get the job done. Harbor Freight, Home Depot, etc. have them. I also installed a 50' hose so the compressor can stay put in one location as I move around the coach to air the tires. We pretty much load the coach the same every trip so I know from our first trip after having it weighed as to what pressure to have in the tires.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:14 PM   #21
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
This one use to have the Sears name on it, but is now sporting the brand name that actually makes it. As you search the Forum for compressors, you'll find this to be mentioned often and is a great compressor. It's a 110 volt compressor and will fill even 22.5 tires.

Sears.com
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:27 PM   #22

I know this is an old thread but the info might help. I have a tankless 120 volt compressor I bought from Sears about 15 years ago that works great. It doesn't inflate a fast as one with a tank but it's a lot faster than a 12 Vdc and it doesn't take up as much space as one with a tank. You can search for tankless, there are a lot of them. Craftsman still makes one that might be close to the one I have.
Don and Barb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compressor, tires