Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2014, 03:10 PM   #1

Tires and air compressor

Hello folks I haven't been on the forum for the last two months. I finally picked up my new MotorHome from Nexus in Indiana. I purchased a 28p the P is for Phantom the unit is 30ft. Anyway really enjoying it. But going crazy spending money on items I need for it but I guess that's a part of it. I am looking to buy a air compressor for the tires Any recommendations? Also what is the best way to get the right air pressure in the tires without weighing the unit do I just go by the label on the door that The motorhome company put on it? Thanks this is all new to me
Cola ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2014, 03:16 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cola ny View Post
Hello folks I haven't been on the forum for the last two months. I finally picked up my new MotorHome from Nexus in Indiana. I purchased a 28p the P is for Phantom the unit is 30ft. Anyway really enjoying it. But going crazy spending money on items I need for it but I guess that's a part of it. I am looking to buy a air compressor for the tires Any recommendations? Also what is the best way to get the right air pressure in the tires without weighing the unit do I just go by the label on the door that The motorhome company put on it? Thanks this is all new to me
Welcome back.

I'll let others address the China and compressor questions, but I would probably use the PSI on the tires themselves until you can get it weighed and set them properly. The tires should be marked with the minimum PSI required to carry their maximum rated load. May well result in a rough ride for a while.

Best of luck

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 03:24 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I'm gonna carefully disagree with Rick. You should have a tire information sticker/plate near your driver's seat. It will have tire size and stuff like that. It will also give you tire pressure setting from the manufacturer. These are based on the manufacturer's best guess for the most loading the axle can take and also takes into consideration some % of difference between the left and right side. As Rick said, even those numbers could cause a harsher ride than you might have with tire pressure set to the specific weight of the axles but it will be sufficient to be safe.

When I picked up my coach from the dealer after purchase they had put 8 new tires on it. I should have checked the pressure. They put the maximum 120 PSI in all of them. According to the sticker they should have put 115 in the steerers, 85 in the driver & 75 in the tag wheels. Can you say HARSH ride?
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 03:29 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
I'm gonna carefully disagree with Rick. You should have a tire information sticker/plate near your driver's seat. It will have tire size and stuff like that. It will also give you tire pressure setting from the manufacturer. These are based on the manufacturer's best guess for the most loading the axle can take and also takes into consideration some % of difference between the left and right side.
No need to be careful Don. I get disagreed with a lot.

So does the mfgr sticker assume the rig is fully loaded to GAWRs?

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 03:36 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I agree with Don. The pressure indicated on the placard should be for a fully loaded (maxed out) coach. So once you have it weighed, you may be able to take some air out of the tires.
Mountain Master Motorcycle Lift, 2018 Harley Davidson CVO Limited
wlf00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 03:39 PM   #6

It looks like the manufacture sticker which is Ford was covered by the MotorHome company with their own sticker
Old 07-11-2014, 03:40 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
No need to be careful Don. I get disagreed with a lot.

So does the mfgr sticker assume the rig is fully loaded to GAWRs?

Rick
Mine does. I have to ASSUME that would be a DOT kinda of requirement.

It is pretty easy to verify simply by using the GAWR/2 and comparing that to the tire pressure chart. There should be some fudge room for more weight on one side than the other. Mine has some built in.

I talked to a Newmar dude in the know and they confirmed that was the case. I had that discussion with him because Newmar derated my front GAWR from 14,600 to 14,200 primarily for tire size. However, I found that my coach is pretty well balanced sift to side and I can easily run the axle at 14,600 and only have to use 115 PSI. I just had my coach weighed at the Spartan factory and was at 14,280 and can run 110 PSI for that weight.

Obviously, I can't speak directly to any other brand's approach to this but, again, I assume DOT guidelines would make them all do something similar.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:42 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cola ny View Post
It looks like the manufacture sticker which is Ford was covered by the MotorHome company with their own sticker
That wouldn't surprise me based on my experience and my previous post. The coach manufacturer has the final say on that.

What does your sticker say and how does that compare to the max tire pressure for your tires.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:42 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Cola ny

There is a recent thread here that talks about various air compressors that people are using.
Mountain Master Motorcycle Lift, 2018 Harley Davidson CVO Limited
wlf00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 03:44 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Porter Cable makes a nice pancake style compressor. 135psi and it's 3.5 gal. Get it at Home Depot or Lowes $99
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 04:24 PM   #11

As far as PSI's what is the lowest on a compressor I should buy for class c
Old 07-11-2014, 06:02 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Our C tops at 80 psi on rears. Others may be higher. You need some margin on the compressor. Our compressor is rated at 125 psi. It was about $60 at WM.

Paul
Big Dog House On Wheels
2013 Coachmen Freelander 28QB
on 2012 Chevrolet 4500
Using iRV2 app
B D HOWie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 07:12 PM   #13

Hey Howie 80 PSI on the rear how about your front
Old 07-11-2014, 07:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
Porter Cable makes a nice pancake style compressor. 135psi and it's 3.5 gal. Get it at Home Depot or Lowes $99
I just bought one earlier this week. It is actually rated at 150 PSI. Unfortunately I bought it a little to late. Last week I had a blow out and the spare tire was at 40 psi and not 85. So I had to get it filled up at a service station. That was a waste of time and money. I spent the entire time on the pump to raise it 8 PSI. I was going to check the spare pressure before we left after I checked the other tires (I always do a tire check before each trip) but totally forgot about the spare. Im sure I will never need the compressor now but least I have one.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compressor, tires