Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2018, 10:23 AM   #15

The local tire places around here wanted big bucks for 22.5 tires. I called tires direct an online tire store in Chicago . Had them ship 6 new Toyo tires to my residence no sales tax no shipping charges. They gave me the dot numbers when I ordered them so I knew before hand they were 4 months old. Took about 1 week to get them as they fill the truck with other orders before it leaves . Found the best place in my area for mounting and balancing . This is a good way to go if you want to save a few bucks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2018, 12:01 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks to everyone for the input. I decided to purchase the Goodyear G670 tires through Tires-Easy.com. I e-mailed their customer service and they indicated they would not be able to provide me the DOT codes because they have over 150 warehouses within the United States. They indicated they would not know where the tires would be shipped from until the order was placed. They confirmed I would be able to ship back the tires if I was not happy with the DOT codes. I will update my results once I receive the tires for those who are interested.

Thanks again!

Firestone Airbags, Hellwig front/rear Anti-Sway Bars,
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 08:00 AM   #17

John,

Thanks for updating the post. Since I will be in the tire market this coming season or next, I am interested in your results.

Do you plan to mount the tires yourself or take them to a tire shop?
Old 12-26-2018, 12:08 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
I have friends who work for Ford and will take it to the Ford dealership for mounting and balancing.

Old 12-26-2018, 12:14 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Wonder why you bought them since you know people had issues with them
jarata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 02:39 PM   #20

They did have problems several, several years ago, I’m on my second set.
Old 12-26-2018, 03:12 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarata View Post
Wonder why you bought them since you know people had issues with them
If you research hard enough, you will probably find every tire company has had some issue with their tires at one time or another. Some of the issues are probably caused by the owner not taking proper care of their tires, under inflating, over inflating, exposure to sun, etc. The issue regarding blowouts was with the G159 tire which was not designed for RV use. Granted, it appears Goodyear tried to cover the issue up, but hopefully they have learned from their mistake. My motorhome came with the G670 tire, it is a common use tire on motorhomes, I have no complaints with the ride or wear of the tire on my motorhome, and the price was right (as long as the manufacture date is fairly recent) for a name brand tire.

Old 01-01-2019, 11:37 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
**Update**

Received the six Goodyear G670 tires yesterday from Tires-Easy.com. Four of the six tires were manufactured in late 2017 (DOT codes 3717 and 3917), but the other two tires were manufactured in early 2011 (DOT code 2211). I cannot understand why this company would think it would be okay to sell me two tires manufactured almost eight years ago. For the price, I am okay with the 2017 tires, but I am sending back the two tires manufactured in 2011. Unreal!

Old 01-03-2019, 09:59 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi6998 View Post
The issue regarding blowouts was with the G159 tire which was not designed for RV use. Granted, it appears Goodyear tried to cover the issue up, but hopefully they have learned from their mistake.
They just learned how to "better cover up" their mistakes
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 10:18 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Still in need of two tires since I had to return two of the six tires I ordered online. I went to another online tire site and asked about the DOT codes of their tires. There response was the following:

"Unfortunately, due to the number of warehouse locations we have, we are unable to pull and check exact date of manufacturing on tires. We do however make sure all tires that are shipped are within the industry standard of 4 years or earlier. If for any reason we receive notification that the dates are other than that, we will reach out to you to confirm if you would like them or not.

The tires are stocked in temperature control warehouses and undergo zero degradation or aging. Furthermore, tires up to 4 years old are considered to be new and safe to be driven upon.

If you have any additional questions, we would be happy to assist you further.

Thank you for contacting SimpleTire Support. Have a great day ahead!"

Sorry, if someone were to send me four year old tires, I would be sending them back too...

I ultimately did find the two additional tires I need locally at about the same price as the four tires I am keeping that I ordered online. Funny thing is the DOT codes on the two tires I bought locally were manufactured during the same period as the four tires I purchased online.

Tags
tires