Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2013, 09:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDSailor View Post
I Googled "Goodyear Rivering" and found this photo. The tire in this picture is in considerably worse condition than mine, but the picture pretty much tells the same story.
I don't recall the date code on my tires, 3 maybe 4 yrs old, but there's only 21,000 miles on them.
I thought that I was under inflated but I keep them at 95psi and have a TMPS to monitor them. Based on the previous posts, and this picture I would call it "Rivering" not under inflation. I should also say that the rear tires are not showing any signs of unusual or premature wear...yet.
Yea or Ney? What say you?
Attachment 36362
This is exactly what happened to my Goodyear tire on my Rv and they were 22.5 I now have continentals they are good so far, I would go with Michelin for sure. Joe

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2013, 11:07 AM   #16

Freightliner Owners Club
Mike: thanks for the update, did not know it was a problem on 19 inch tires or what it looked like... so far,...-knock on wood..

Hooligan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:54 AM   #17

Howdy!

I contuine to purchase Goodyear tires because they stand behind them. I had a Michelin tire tread sepration and damaged my TV. Michelin would not even consider warranting the tire failure. Goodyear has, and I will contuine to give them my business.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon
Old 04-05-2013, 12:29 PM   #18

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I called GY this morning WTR to a possible warranty claim. They gave me a reference number and a location to have the tires inspected. So before I drop a grand on new tires I'll investigate this avenue to see what I can come up with.
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:21 PM   #19

I have a 08 Damon and it has 22,000 miles and noticed "Rivering" on front tires. I will be replacing all of them with Michelin tires with in the next month just not sure which model. Which one is preferred here?
Old 04-05-2013, 03:28 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

What size do you have on it now?
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:30 PM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just back from the tire shop. Their assessment is alignment, toe in. I had a good discussion with the shop manager and with the aid of some pictures of various tire ailments, I have to agree with him. We did the hand test, smooth going in rough coming out. So, dodged the expensive tire bullet, he assured me there is still lots of life left on the tires.
His recommendations are; alignment and switch the tires side to side. Seems like an excellent place to start as I would have had an alignment done if I had bought new tires anyway.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:37 PM   #22

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I prefer Michelins, only blowout I've ever had was a GoodYear on a Jeep GC.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:58 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

IMDSailor, hate to say this but that is the same tune all Goodyear stores and factory reps tell you when you discuss the abnormal wear pattern known as rivering. Been there and done that. On my previous mh I had the front alignment and rear alignment both checked and they were right on. Had all tires corners individually weighed and put the exact pressure in that the GY rep told me to use and they still rivered. Goodyear just will not admit they have a problem. Like I said on my Signature the Goodyear tires where rivering bad at 25k miles and I switched to Michelin and after 20k miles I have no problem. Just to add that there is nothing wrong with a tire that has rivered. They are still safe and you can get more miles out of them. Also I will say that you can get tire wear that can look like rivering and it is caused by front to rear wheel alignment. So hopefully it will help you.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:17 PM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks Mike for the follow up.
My plan is to have the alignment done and switch the tires side to side.
I will also continue to monitor the wear pattern. I went into the shop with a jaundice eye, expecting to be told it's not what I thought it was, I wasn't disappointed, but after some good discussion with the manager I left feeling that it was an alignment problem.
BTW, I'm not having the alignment done at that shop, so I will have an independent review of that.
Time will tell. it usually does.

Thanks again,
Stewart
Old 04-05-2013, 04:20 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Find a shop that can do both a front and back alignment if that is possible on your model MH. Some MH models you can only align the front. If they can't align the back then they can at least check it and see if it is good.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:29 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
I had GY 295/80/22.5 with right at 18,000 miles, ran air pressures per GY specs. They were beginning to river on both front tires outside edge. Date code was early '07. We traded the coach, I now have Michelins and independent front suspension, so I'm not sure what I would have done with those tires. Based on what I've read, I would not have gone with Goodyears.
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:46 PM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
Find a shop that can do both a front and back alignment if that is possible on your model MH. Some MH models you can only align the front. If they can't align the back then they can at least check it and see if it is good.
Rgr Copy that.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:06 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

That photo (IMDSailor's message) doesn't look anything like the "river wear" definition or photos I have seen. River wear is sort of a nibbling at the edges of an interior rib. It is also called "erosion".

The Radial Tire Conditions Analysis Guide, published by the Tire Maintenance Council, defines River, Erosion and Channel Wear to be the same thing, specifically:
"Circumferential wear along rib edges next to major tread grooves. May be wavy in appearance and vary in width around tire."

It's a great manual to have - same as major tire dealers use. You can order a copy from the Tire Maintenance Council, but I found a downloadable pdf here:
Radial Tire Conditions Guide

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires