Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2015, 11:22 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
According to the tire guru on TRVN there is no problem parking on concrete other than the fact that your tires may stain/leave marks over time. I found Dan to be absolutely right about that. I have tire marks where I parked it in Dec and then moved it in mid-April. I now will go back to using my plastic cutting boards from Costco (thicker and solid) that I used for many years until last year.

Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2015, 05:07 PM   #16

I put mine on thin plastic cutting boards (about $13 for six at Amazon - Amazon.com: New Star Foodservice 42627 Flexible Cutting Board, 12-Inch by 15-Inch, Assorted Colors, Set of 6: Kitchen & Dining) because when I went to Freightliner school we were told that sun and what the tires sit on can degrade the rubber - especially when sitting in the same place for an extended time). So for the arguments that say it makes no difference if they sit on concrete I've spent the $13 just in case Mike Cody was right.

Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 07:47 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20ski View Post
This is directly from the Goodyear Recreation Vehicle Tire and Care Guide.

Storing your vehicle properly helps protect your tires.
• Keep your vehicle in a cool, dry storage area out of direct sunlight and UV rays.
• Unload your vehicle so that minimum weight is on the tires.
• Inflate your tires to recommended operation pressure plus 25%, but don’t exceed the rim
manufacturer’s inflation capacity.
• Thoroughly clean your tires with soap and water before storing them to remove any oils that may have
accumulated from the road.
• Move your vehicle at least every three months to help prevent cracking and flat-spotting,
but avoid moving it during extremely cold weather.
• Place your vehicle on blocks to remove the weight from the tires. If the vehicle can’t be put on blocks,
make sure the storage surface is firm, clean, well-drained and reasonably level.
The key here is as h20ski has mentioned, clean firm, well drained and reasonably level. You're trying to keep the tires from setting in a puddle of water. In other text Goodyear mentions that if the tires continually set in water it will eventually permeate the rubber.

If your concrete pad has tilted or cracked over the years there is the possibility that water can accumulate and pool around the tires. If you're concerned that this could happen it would be best to put some type of barrier between the concrete and the tires.

As a side note we store our motorhome in a garage with a concrete floor. There is no moisture problem so we've never had to put a barrier between the tires and the floor
Old 09-28-2015, 09:36 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
This is verbatim from the Michelin tire brochure that came with my MH:

"Some storage surfaces can cause tires to age faster. That's why Michelin recommends placing a barrier (cardboard, plastic or plywood) between the tire and the storage surface."
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 11:56 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post

"Some storage surfaces can cause tires to age faster. That's why Michelin recommends placing a barrier (cardboard, plastic or plywood) between the tire and the storage surface."
"Age faster" than what? I mean, not to be argumentative here but, a very large percentage of RVers will replace their tires in some sort of a SEVEN year cycle anyways so, to me, unless you're planning on your RV to be parked for the majority of those seven years, IN THE SAME SPOT, I'm pretty sure that ANY accelerated "potential" wear, if measureable, would be negligible.

Again Cat320, not arguing with you, just sort of debating Michelin's statement.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 01:00 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post

Wow, thats really informative, "Some storage surfaces"

Ok which ones? THAT IS AN ABSURB, statement
Old 10-03-2015, 07:48 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Putting a heavy motorhome on jack stands to relieve the weight off the tires!!

If you put the jack stands under the axles would that not stress the axles?
My thinking is that the Motorhome was designed to rest on the tires otherwise they would have wheels on the jack stands.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:10 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
I let my jacks down enough to relieve the pressure off of my tires.
Old 10-10-2015, 08:13 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
To each their own, I guess as you get older, you come up with more things to worry about

Next thread I see will probably cover "how to protect your radiator hoses from dry rot"
Old 10-11-2015, 01:45 PM   #24
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I have a little different view. If you park your coach inside on smooth finished concrete, probably not an issue. If you park your coach outside on concrete, I feel there can be an issue with leeching.

Here's a little test. Make a puddle of water and then set a concrete cinder block in the middle of it. Within minutes, the cinder block will leech/draw the water upward into the block. The same thing occurs when you park for LONG periods of time on concrete.

For me, it's cheap insurance to have mats under the tires. I use old truck mud flaps for the duals, and cut one in half for the front wheels and tag.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 03:15 PM   #25

Tires on concrete

Since I only live in my RV during the winter I have to perform regular tire maintenance the rest of the year. Buy a bottle of "tire shine" (tire dressing) from Dollar Tree. Just spray and rub it on. It will keep your tires looking new and protect them from the damaging rays of the sun. Spray it on about once a week. It's the best stuff I've ever used for only a buck. It works good too.

I also move my RV forward about a foot, or back a foot every week when I start it up, so the tires don't sit on one side for to long. My tires are still in great shape, like new condition. I should also recommend tire covers if your RV will be sitting for a long period of time. Every RV owner should have them.

1979 Dodge Tioga Class C 24 foot. 1987 Fleetwood Bounder 34 Foot.
Old 10-11-2015, 03:55 PM   #26

My MH is stored outside uncovered in a Storage Facility with blacktop asphalt paving. I store it with tires on sheets of the white aluminum roof flashing material. My roofer gave me a few yards of it from a roll 18" wide and as long as needed. I have read that the asphalt will leach solvent to the tires if left standing on it for months at a time. Don't know if it really helps, but it cannot hurt.
As for most Tire Dressings I believe they contain petroleum which can damage rubber. Formula 303 and perhaps others will protect and not damage the rubber.
Barrier
Old 10-11-2015, 04:44 PM   #27

Ford Super Duty Owner
All this great talk about tires, storage etc and not one mention of what happens when tires set for a period. Well I know some talked about flat spots, moisture, leaching but there's something else that was not mentioned.

This is a little known subject and seldom talked about. The rubber of tires has a lot of chemicals (stuff) in them. Those compounds will actually flow, settle maybe even separate in the tire. Yes even after the tire is on your vehicle and setting in your drive. I read this years ago, with a lot of skepticism but the source was reliable. It's not a subject that comes up often so over the years I just assumed that is was true and did mention it to my students.

Just last week I was in a Fleet GY Semi tractor trailer tire shop (Wing Foot) and while talking to the service manager about tire stems I mentioned the thing about compounds, liquids etc flowing in the tire. He confirmed what I had read as a fact.

When I (they) used the word, "Flow" I'm sure it was not meant in the same frame as we think of flowing water or oil or molasses. I guess maybe shifting or redistributing the compounds might be a better term.

Yes it might be difficult to believe but. That may be the reason it is recommended that the tires be driven periodically. And driven to a point of getting the tires warmed up probably to keep the compounds more stable. That's not usually an issue on our private vehicles but it is true on the RV's for many of us. They generally are not daily drivers.

Am I asking you to believe this?? Well that's up to you. It matters not either way. Maybe a search on the topic would be in order. I'll do that after I post.

TeJay
Old 10-11-2015, 04:54 PM   #28

Ford Super Duty Owner
I got this off a sight on racing tires. It does allude to the continuing curing of the tire after it's made.

"The material in a new race tire is semi-stable. If the tread rubber had been totally cured it might be too hard to do its job. So stress and heat can continue the curing process. Even small amounts of energy from ultraviolet wavelengths in sunlight, ozone in air, heat, or mechanical working can cause the rubber in a tire to continue its vulcanization process or change in some way."

TeJay

Tags
tires