Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2010, 07:53 AM   #1

Tires - Still!

Hello,

In an ongoing attempt to replace the tires on my 2005 Journey, I have been told by a Wingfoot dealer in my area that the newest tire he can get for me is a 2008 because Goodyear has not made RV tires in my size, 265/75R22.5, since then?

I questioned that and he told me that there was no market for them due to the economy and that the tires he could get were stored in a climate controlled warehouse and covered by warranty against failure and that coverage started when the tires were installed.

While this is all plausible, I was just curious if anyone on the board has Goodyear RV tires with a manufacture date later than 2008?

BugSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2010, 08:10 AM   #2

I would shop elsewhere for tires, that is complete BS.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrone View Post
I would shop elsewhere for tires, that is complete BS.
That thought has occurred to me and I have sent a message to Goodyear Customer Service but the real test is finding someone with that tire with a date stamp later than 2008!

Old 04-09-2010, 08:15 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Because of the set-up time/cost for a given type and size, tires are made in large batches and stored in the distribution warehouses. Therefore it is indeed possible that a specific model & size may not be made for quite some time, especially if sales are slow and/or the size is one not widely used.

It is also true that the warranty starts with the date of retail sale IF you have the sales invoice to prove it. But the warranty period may be less than the life you expect out of the tire. An RVer might easily use a tire for 7 years without wearing it out but the warranty rarely runs that long (check the wording carefully) . A tire that is already 2 years old when you buy it will have to "live" 9 years for you to get 7 actual years of use from it. Nine is an old tire by anybody's measure.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:48 AM   #5

I am not a fan of Goodyear tires to start with as they have problems with tires across many classes, if they have not made your size in two years (unlikely in my view) other manufacturers have!
Old 04-09-2010, 11:27 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thats why I went with Yokahama
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 03:57 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tell the dealer that you figure the tires are 2 years through a max 7 year life span,,,so he should discount the price by 2/7 of the sale cost.

I have not had much success with Goodyear tires and avoid them.

ken
Old 04-09-2010, 04:12 PM   #8

We installed 4 Goodyear 12R22.5 tires on our drive wheels in 2004 (85887 miles ago as of today). They are now running low on tread and I will likely replace them (all 8 actually) with the same tire as they have given us an excellent ride and great tread life without as much as a hiccup.
We have had Firestone, Goodyear and Michelin on our coach over the years and I just haven't seen any particular benefit to the higher priced tires.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:28 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
We have 4 tires with 0109 dates!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I wouldn't buy a pencil from that clown! Ours were purchased in Feb. 09 and so were less than 2 months old.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 04:54 PM   #10

Hal, Thanks for the info. I am getting a run around from GoodYear Customer Service on the production date issue so your input is very helpful! Just to be clear, your tires are G670 265/75R22.5?

If that is the case I will not be doing any business with this Goodyear dealer!

Old 04-10-2010, 01:21 PM   #11

I just bought two with a five month old date; wanted less than three months, but couldn't find any. Two years is just silly! Find a new dealer.
Ernie

Remember! Life is not a rehearsal!
Ernie n Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 02:31 PM   #12

The Goodyears that we bought in June of '04 were dated 0904 so they were about 4 months old. That works just fine by me.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:55 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
Thats why I went with Yokahama
How do you like them. I have heard good things about them and Toyo and Continential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Adams View Post
We installed 4 Goodyear 12R22.5 tires on our drive wheels in 2004 (85887 miles ago as of today). They are now running low on tread and I will likely replace them (all 8 actually) with the same tire as they have given us an excellent ride and great tread life without as much as a hiccup.
We have had Firestone, Goodyear and Michelin on our coach over the years and I just haven't seen any particular benefit to the higher priced tires.
I agree, I think all tire manufacturer now have the same technology and manufacturing techniques. The only thing that separates them is quality control and customer service.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:03 AM   #14

My vote would be Toyo or Yokahama. Both make "RV" tires and both are very good tires with nation wide dealers, very good warenttees, and either will be a whole lot less money than paying for the Goodyear or Michinlean name.