Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-30-2015, 09:48 AM   #1
Tires- using RV for gravel roads

Does anyone have any recommendations for RV tires that will work well on gravels roads? I am going to Montana and will be on gravel roads for 200-300 miles. I will need tires that can with stand quite a beating. Any recommendations? My tires are 225/75/r16

Griff21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2015, 09:59 AM   #2
National RV Owners Club
Most tires are stong enough to handle gravel. Are you going to be traveling on gravel all the time or just the 200-300 miles? If it's just once or twice, I would inspect the tires after each trip and then see if any damage was done and if so then buy tires.

Steve & Jeri
2004 Dolphin 5342
2000 Jeep Cherokee 4X4
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 12:49 PM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
What will they be mounted on?

If you are mounting on a pickup for off road use I would look at an All Terrain tire with more aggressive tread and side wall support and possibly more ply's.

Your tire 225/75/16 is equivalent to a 29.3/8/16 tire but you may be able to go up in diameter to give you a better load range and tread design. See this conversion site
225/75R16 Tires

You might consider upsizing to maybe a 31 10.5 16 or 32 10.5 16

I have an older suburban which came with 235/75/15 tires (talk about hard to find). I've been using it on some property we bought, clearing trees and brush, and just had a side wall puncture. After doing some investigating I decided to upgrade to a 31/10.5/15, which gives me more diameter ~2", width, and tire height plus higher load rating. I checked on several off road sites and all said I could upsize to this size tire without a problem.

By going to this size tire it gave me a lot more options. When I just queried sites using the 235/75/15 I only had a couple choices, FYI none at Walmart and only a couple at Sam's but would have to order.

I was getting ready to buy new ~+$600 for 4 off brand mounted but found a set of Michelins used ~50% tread left for $175 out the door. Tires looked in very good condition. This was a matching set which would have cost me +$700 mounted and balanced if bought new. Since my suburban is only being used for a work truck now I decided it was the best way to go. I also traded even up my 3 good tires for a spare of the same size.

Go to a couple good tire stores and get comparisons and tread designs.

If you plan on using this for short trips you might consider doing the same thing, buy a set of good used tires. If you plan on leaving them on you can get new.
Jim J
2002 Monaco Windsor 38 PKD
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/5.7 Hemi
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:58 PM   #4
More aggressive tread will sling more gravel than regular highway tread, however they have better traction in loose gravel or dirt. All DOT approved tires will withstand gravel roads; gravel wears tread faster than blacktop.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 09:42 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Are you looking for off-road traction or just reliability? I would think any LT (light truck) tire would easily hold up to 300 miles of gravel or dirt roads. Goodyear, Toyo, Firestone, etc. make LT tires in that size.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote