Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2010, 11:00 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
To cover or not to cover

How many use a cover for the off season? Good, bad or indifferent what are your thoughts.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2010, 11:15 AM   #2
IC2

I use the ADCO cover on my 5er. It does a pretty good job of protecting the unit during our often severe winter weather here in the Upstate NY area. There are two versions to consider - one for strong sunlight, the other for wetter weather, which is the one I'm using.

Now - do I "enjoy" installing this cover. NO, NO, NO. It's heavy, it will tear easily if snagged and getting it squared away on a roof is a pain as you have to work around vent covers, air conditioners, roof racks and in my case, two big 2x4 foot solar panels. If you are planning to use your unit during the winter - you will have to suffer R&R every time

Do I recommend using these covers - yes

Old 09-30-2010, 01:03 PM   #3

This is the first year in decades I have not used a cover. I got fortunate and some offered me inside storage. However, I like them. I have never had a lot problem getting them off or on and I work by myself. However, a fiver might be a whole other story. I have always had motor homes. The covers do a great job of keeping the most harmful aspect of storage away from your RV and that is UVL.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:46 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Sun damage is not good but if you live in an area that also freezes, water can get into seams, freeze and expand the seam. Sure a lot cheaper to cover. I have found that we get about 4 seasons with some repair each season before we need to replace. Our 31ft 5th wheel cover cost around $500. Thats $125 a year and lots cheaper than a repair on the roof. I now have a MH and pay for indoor storage when we are not using it!
Old 10-02-2010, 04:30 PM   #5

We use the cover all year round. Keeps the MH looking brand new.

Bill
Old 10-02-2010, 05:46 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Chafing...

I can't afford the indoor parking and I considered a cover, however, there are only two coaches covered in the entire large storage yard. I happened to be there when one of the owners was there. I asked him if a cover was OK for a disabled person ( getting ready for fourth back surgery) who would have to hire someone to do it. He said that he has a lot of chafing from wind and has never been able to get the cover tight enough without ripping it. He said that he accepts the chafing as just something that happens. We do get our share of wind here in spring. His coach is older and kind of faded from use before the cover so he is not too fussy. I found a upscale storage company with a valet that would cover the coach for money on the side, but he wanted $50 and the coach would be 45 miles away. I store it about four miles away now. I guess I'll have to make due with watching the roof for sun damage. I do have the entire coach waxed, including the roof every five months so I am hoping that helps. Hoping is the key word here. Happy travels, Joe
Old 10-03-2010, 08:30 AM   #7

In all the years I have used coach covers, I have never had a chaffing problem. I live in the Midwest where we have fair amount of wind. I always buy ADCO covers, but do not know if they are better than others or not. I hope you can find a reasonable assist for putting your cover on and off. $50.00 a whack is pretty steep for a few minutes work. Keep in mind the liability issue to.
Old 10-03-2010, 06:45 PM   #8

We have used covers for more than 7 years now with out any chafing problems due to wind. It is important to get a good cover that has many straps and clips to secure it. The movement of the cover is caused by the wind getting underneath the cover and lifting it.

Buy a good cover and strap it down well, and you will not have those types of problems.

Good Luck,
Bill
Old 10-06-2010, 11:19 PM   #9

I'm torn on this topic, no pun intended. We had a 40' 5ver several years that we kept covered in the winter and no amount of straps kept that cover from billowing in a good wind, which we get quite often in SE Washington State.

The motorhome is something we use differently. We'll use her in the winter to go skiing for the weekend or head to the coast. And climbing up there to take a cover on and off is something I'm not inclined to do. Not to mention you'd have to shut everything off and winterize her. So we keep her clean and waxed and ready to go.

Modern RV's with full body automotive paint finishes are different than the RV's in the past with gel coated fiberglass exteriors. With proper care the finishes should look good for many years.

That being said, if I was laying her up for 5-6 months over the winter and storing in an RV storage yard parked between other coaches, I'd cover it.

Snowman 1 is offline   Reply With Quote