Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2017, 11:49 AM   #1

To fill or not to fill, that is the question...

Was discussing fuel contamination on another forum and stated getting worried.

We have a diesel pusher and full time. We volunteer almost all the time which necessitates remaining parked for long periods - up to 6 months at a time. I had been told that if storing for winter you should store with full fuel tank as it reduces condensation and thus water in fuel. In cold weather this may make sense. But if parked for long time in warm and dry weather should you do something different? I thought not but people have been saying that diesel deteriorates over time and will cause contaminates (sludge ?) to form. And algae would grow in any water at the water/ fuel interface. With a large volume (full tank) you would have more contamination than a nearly empty tank. But a nearly empty tank would allow more condensation and thus more water contamination. Seems you are damned if you do and damned if you don't. Please somebody with better brains than I chime in here with some information.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2017, 11:55 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'd fill the tank and add a stabilizer to the fuel. That's what I've done ever year that I've had a DP (17 yrs now) and I haven't had a fuel related problem.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:05 PM   #3

I don't fill the tank on the way home and haven't in 40+ years and can't remember ever having a fuel problem, 20 yrs gas 20+ dp, I do on occasion use diesel kleen. Chose what works for you or makes you feel good.
RayJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:08 PM   #4

Keep it full.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:16 PM   #5

Well Gang,
I've parked with near empty for up to 4 months, full for equal as long, cold weather, hot weather and, never had any running/starting issues. But, we don't live in Snow country and the big beast is always garaged, when not in use. So, that probably helps.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:39 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Put a stabilizer in the fuel when you fill and you'll be fine.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:51 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
A stabilizer is only half the solution. To keep the critters out for long term diesel storage, top off the tank and add a biocide, here's one:

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/valvt...-16-oz--255739
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 03:59 PM   #8

If the "keep full" folks are wrong you get a full tank of fuel when you finally leave.
If the "doesn't matter" folks are wrong you get a tank full of bio mass, multiple fuel filter changes and a bunch of grief.
Which do you prefer?
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 05:22 PM   #9

First of all diesel fuel does not deteriorate. Farm tractors, construction equipment, and military vehicles set for months and months without problems both with full and near empty tanks in all kinds of weather. The only thing that is needed is a biocide such as BIOBOR JF added to the fuel to prevent microbe growth.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:44 PM   #10

If you have a metal tank, and its not full, expect the top half of the tank to RUST and drop that stuff into the fuel system and hopefully your filter system can trap it.... and with a full tank there is less of a chance of water vapor forming as well....

Always use a stabilizer, if you start it to warm it up once a month, let it run to bring the engine to operating temperature and than add 30-45 min.... I can't tell you how many oil filler caps I've seen full of rust from condensation from the engine not running long enough to evaporate off that moisture...
Old 03-21-2017, 09:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelag View Post
If you have a metal tank, and its not full, expect the top half of the tank to RUST and drop that stuff into the fuel system and hopefully your filter system can trap it.... and with a full tank there is less of a chance of water vapor forming as well....

Always use a stabilizer, if you start it to warm it up once a month, let it run to bring the engine to operating temperature and than add 30-45 min.... I can't tell you how many oil filler caps I've seen full of rust from condensation from the engine not running long enough to evaporate off that moisture...

It was my impression that just letting it run, even at high idle, does more harm than good. You never really get things heated enough. You have to take it on the road. Night Whar?
Old 03-21-2017, 09:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
First of all diesel fuel does not deteriorate. Farm tractors, construction equipment, and military vehicles set for months and months without problems both with full and near empty tanks in all kinds of weather. The only thing that is needed is a biocide such as BIOBOR JF added to the fuel to prevent microbe growth.

My research has turned up a lot of comments, not necessarily evidence, that letting diesel set for extended periods allows the formation of something called asphaltates or something like that. Is this not true?
Old 03-21-2017, 09:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
A stabilizer is only half the solution. To keep the critters out for long term diesel storage, top off the tank and add a biocide, here's one:

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/valvt...-16-oz--255739

So a stabilizer and a biocides are not the same thing. Can we get examples of each. So many different products when you go to the shelves.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:51 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
We always top off the tank before returning our coach to storage. Since it rarely (if ever) sits for much more than month - it's not that I'm worried about issues with condensation, fuel getting algae or any of that stuff. I do it for two reasons - first and foremost - I keep detailed records for each trip (mileage, fuel used, trip costs, etc.). Filling at the end of a trip allows me to "close the books" on my trip. The second reason I fill it at the end of the trip is because I like to start each trip with a full tank - and don't want to have to deal with filling it BEFORE I leave.