Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-06-2016, 04:14 AM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by BPoland View Post
After hearing the stories of waiting on the side of the road for the service company to find a tire, I decided to buy an unmounted spare tire. I went down to see my tire guy. I have been dealing with him for years. When he looked up the Good Year G670 tire, all he could do was shake his head. He said his cost was $500, so my cost would be about $520. He then asked if it had to be a Good Year. I said it's a spare, and hopefully will never hit the road, and if it does, it's only to get me to where I can get a matching tire. He looked up the specs on the Good Year and matched it with a house brand tire. If memory serves me, it's an Ironman or something close to that. The price was $180 out the door. I throw it in the back of the Grand Cherokee for a trip. I would love to build a carrier under the rear of the coach for it. I just haven't had the time to figure that out yet.
Here is a link on the carrier I built, other examples in the same thread Spare Tire and Rim spare tires and rims are plentiful at salvage yards. Be sure to get a steel rim.

2008 Bounder 38P F53 24/30K V10, 2013 Kia Soul Basic 6 speed manual, Ready Brake Elite tow system (previous equipment 1996 Pace Arrow Vision w/Acme Dolly)
Brockx is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2016, 05:04 AM   #30
Here's a good story; I carry an unmounted spare tire in case there is a problem I just need a tire company to come out and break down and mount the new tire. NOT ANYMORE! Two weeks ago, driving in California, 12 miles north of Ukiah, of all things to happen my front right tire valve stem broke off, causing my tire to deflate and losing my TPMS sensor. I've never seen any failure like this before but I have yet to describe the true failure. I have both AAA premier RV and Good Sam roadside assistance. AAA quickly washed their hands of the situation by saying "we have no one in the area to send to help with the tire repair and none of our towing companies will tow you with a flat front tire, Good luck" AAA needs to change their name to OPAAA, Only parts of America automobile association. They totally failed my family when we were stranded on the side of the 101 freeway. Good Sam was trying, they were able to contact a Les Shwab tire store in Ukiah who were gonna help but only after I had gone to the store in my jeep to see if I could get a valve stem to try and replace it myself. I went to the tractor supply next door also and bought shrader valves and stem extenders in hopes that something would work because it appeared I was on my own. there were two threads left on the valve stem and i was able to get the valve stem extenders on and started airing it up with this cheap little 100 psi home depot compressor I carry. It was still leaking because I could not able get to shrader valve to thread at all, but it was not leaking bad with just the valve extender. I was able to get 50 psi in and make a run to the Les Shwab store for repair. KNOW THIS; in certain parts of the country you are on your own, DO NOT take for granted that those overpriced roadside assistance clubs will help you. I arrived home yesterday and immediately ordered a new rim for my spare, a torque multiplier lug wrench, a big truck 4 way with 33 mm size and I already carry a 20 ton jack. I will fabricate a spare tire carrier to install it under the frame extensions. I will never put me or my family in a position where a flat tire will leave me stranded on the side if the road. I bought both AAA and Good sam thinking that I would have enough help in the event such as that but boy was I wrong. After the incident was over I called to complain to AAA and what i was told was that I was on my own to find my own help but since I called them first I would be eligible for reimbursement by AAA. That translates to me that the tow companies don't want to deal with AAA because they are too cheap and don't want to pay what the tow companies service is worth. in my opinion AAA should stop mailing me invitations for insurance and other products they sell and with the savings from that focus on paying the tow companies to help us when we are broke down on the side of the road, after all thats what we pay for. so, my suggestion is to do all you can to keep yourself from being stranded.

Tillerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 03:10 PM   #31
Just bought our rig and it has 2 spare tires. I got electric impact and some other tools along with a hdy jack. We have AAA, but the sometimes the wait is not worth waiting around for. At least for now that's the way i'm going.
2015 Thor Four Winds 23U
Jeff in Ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 03:22 PM   #32
Mine is a TT as opposed to a motorhome, but to the OP's original question: I have Good Sam and when I needed a tire on the road I had to pay $120 in addition to the cost of the tire for a "roadside breakdown and re-mount". Until this happened I was unaware that there would be a charge for this service. It also took them an hour and a half to get someone out to us, but I was happy to finally be back on the road again.

Another time we blew a tire we were just outside of Twentyninepalms, CA, at 4:30 in the afternoon, and Good Sam, after trying for over 2 hours, was still unable to get someone to come out. Finally a Good Samaritan (pun intended) stopped and he had a tire plugging kit and a compressor and got me going again.

So, my experience with Good Sam roadside assistance is mixed, but still better to have it than not, I think.
2013 Wind River 280RLS, 200W Solar
2013 Ram 2500 Laramie Cummins 4x4
fisher99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 05:24 PM   #33

Fleetwood Owners Club
Originally Posted by WDW View Post
I'm interested in how folks have built / found aftermarket carriers. We have a Roadmaster spare tire carrier. We're not happy and would NOT recommend them in applications similar to ours.

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35 BH
2015 Jeep Roadmaster AT. tow bar with RVI2 supplemental.

Taking in the sight wherever our Trolley takes us...

I've seen these advertised and considered it for our 2016 Southwind but was wondering if it was worth the expense.

donnie(K7UTA), Linda, and 2furrykid s Buddy & Rain
2016 SouthWind32VS, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited
donie is offline   Reply With Quote