Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2016, 09:35 AM   #1

To have a spare or not a spare that is the question

I am thinking of getting a spare tire. But I have a few unknowns. My tires are about 500.00 they are on a 2015 Thor hurricane. I wouldn't be able most likely to change it myself and would need a mobile service to do it if I got a flat. There seems in my mind to be pros and cons to this. to figure this out I need a piece of information. Do Mobil companies gouge you when they supply a new new tire? If not too bad then it might not be worth doing. Has anybody out there in irv2 land had a Mobil company change a tire and supply the tire if so did the gouge you on the price of the tire?
bassoneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2016, 10:19 AM   #2

Our '02 Georgetown came with one (actually a complete spare wheel) when we bought it in '10. It was part of the OEM wheels and tires, which were still on the rig. I replaced the 6 tires that were running on the street, but the spare didn't look like it had ever been used.

It was still like that 4 years later when we sold the rig.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:27 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Fleetwood Discovery 2015

They are expensive. They are heavy, take up a lot of space. Unless you carry the tools you probably can't change it. Most RV tires are 16 ply and rarely have problems. If you don't use it it is a waste of money, and may need replacing after 6-9 years anyway. Get a road side assistance program for about 75 per year. We use Coach Net.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:31 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Currently we just carry a spare aluminum rim. Figure tires are easier to find when traveling then a replacement rim and more than likely if you blow a front tire the rim will be toast.
kketterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:34 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My thoughts and experience

I opted to buy an unmounted 22.5 tire and carry it. While most truck tire service responders can mount a tire in the field , I never want to be in a place where I can not immediately obtain a a specific needed tire--- or immediately have access to the tire I want or need - or be at risk for being gouged with exorbitant prices.

Yep it cost me about 500- and excellent price for the tire I wanted--- but I was able to take my time and find the that tire at the best price rather than being in a position where I had to take whatever I was offered at crisis prices. I have peace of mind knowing I have it readily available. Over the past 35 years of RV- ing I have lost through 3 tires- so loosing a tire is not improbable in my experience.
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:35 AM   #6

With due consideration for travel in remote place and / or "standard" size tires would not necessarily be readily available (aka Alasaka).

You can spend $500 now for something you will probably never need, carry it around, etc. or spend $600 when you do need one. I'll choose the later - that extra $100 is not gouging if they are providing something I need in a timely manner, and minimal hassle, with the required services to use it. That is called "value add".

Also remember, thier "in stock" deliver it now price must include inventory carrying cost and shipping, which of course you have too when you spend $500 for something you are not using, but you forget about once you spent the money.

It can also be known as "I"ll match the on line out of inventory price with an out of inventory, deliver it whenever time frame" too........
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:39 AM   #7
Community Administrator

I bought a few year old gently used unmounted spare. I didn't want a new one aging out while sitting in the basement. It was in good enough condition to get me on my way and gave me time to purchase a new one at my leisure.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:51 AM   #8

Our coach bought new in 2000 came with a spare. In the 16 years we've owned our coach, haven't had occasion to use the spare tire.

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 10:54 AM   #9
Community Administrator

Ya never need it until ya need it. I used mine twice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVJ58 View Post
Our coach bought new in 2000 came with a spare. In the 16 years we've owned our coach, haven't had occasion to use the spare tire.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:08 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My Chassis did not come with a spare from Ford. I built a hanger and winch system. Located a rim with a 2 year old new matching tire at Visone Salvage. I have the proper tools to change the tire and insurance that provides Road Service. If Road Service is not available in a timely manner or what they claim to be, I'll change it.

Well over 2 Million miles under my belt and never had to change a tire on the road, but I still believe in a spare.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:19 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Haven't carried a spare since we traded in our '88 Type B Okanagan MH in 1997. Have never been stranded anywhere with a bad tire or blowout. In fact I've never had a flat or blowout on a MH but I've always been anal about tires. Check the pressure daily (although the TPMS does that now) and keep good Michelins on my rigs.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:37 PM   #12

In all of my years of travelling (as a pilot and elsewhere) I have learned never to say never.

I spent 2 days in a roadside parking lot waiting to find a tire in my size in Alabama. It could have been worse, but a delay none the less. A tire size might be found easier for some smaller units but 295, 305, 315 and 365 are not on every shelf!

I flat tow a F150 so anywhere we go, a 315" goes with me.
I don't worry about the tools to change it because my roadside plan can have a service vehicle out to me within a hour.......

I know its nearly impossible to carry spares for virtually all instances and where do you draw the line but a tire is a pretty easy one to work with and at least I don't have to pay the ridiculous prices they want for already expensive rubber on the side of the highway. I know the decision gets harder when sizes are different between the front and the rear so it comes down to personal preference.

Next to air brakes I would bet tires would be next on the list for all diesel powered units on the shoulder of the road.........

JMHO.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:52 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Ya never need it until ya need it. I used mine twice.
Our 2001 Winnebago Adventurer came with a spare. In the 12+ years we owned it we had to use it twice. Our 2013 Adventurer didn't come with a spare. We purchased an unmounted one and keep it under the bed. If we should need it we'll call a road service company if there happens to be one when and where we need it. If there is no road service (or cell phone service) available I'll dismount the old tire take it and the new one in the Jeep to the nearest tire service and have it mounted. I carry the tools necessary to mount and dismount the rim.

Most of our traveling is done in less populated out of the way places. If we were only going to popular tourist destinations and primarily traveling the interstate highway system I would probably rely on a road service plan.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:06 AM   #14

My Hurricane did not come with a spare. It took me two months to find a spare rim ($230). In my previous coach is used its spare four times. Most emergency services will change a flat if you have an aired spare but will not supply a tire. I would never travel where we do without a good spare.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote