Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2014, 04:04 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Firebug5
Make that 3 different camps.
Some of us neither "blow out" or "use the pink stuff" in our fresh water lines.
BTW some don't "sanitize" every year....(my water system has only been sanitized twice in 18 years).
Mel
'96 Safari
I did forget the full-timers, folks with heated garages, and those that simply live south!

Any other secrets? I LOVE the vodka plan, hmmmmm now we have a Vodka camp, too. . .

Bruce
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2014, 04:32 PM   #16

Another for using air to blow out the lines and then just a small amount of pink stuff in the drains. I also remove the water heater anode to make sure the heater tank is fully drained. Let the air pressure blow out the anode hole for a bit so tank is dry.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 04:55 PM   #17

When we lived in VA I would gravity drain everything. I would then blow out the lines at 40-45 psi. Then I would by-pass the hot water heater and then pump one gallon of pink stuff through the lines. Them I would blood out the pink stuff. Finally, I would leave at faucets on.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 05:04 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
I use the Prestone RV antifreeze. It is more of a clear reddish color and doesn't have that sickeningly sweet smell (or taste) of the pink stuff, and at a buck a gallon more, it is worth every penny. Flushes out almost instantly too.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:48 PM   #19

If there is a slight chance it could freeze the pink stuff is less than $4.00 a gallon. I blow out with air then the pink stuff and don't worry.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:52 PM   #20

I always blow out the lines and add pink stuff. As cheap as the pink stuff is, I consider it cheap insurance.
dsurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:28 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Another for using air to blow out the lines and then just a small amount of pink stuff in the drains. I also remove the water heater anode to make sure the heater tank is fully drained. Let the air pressure blow out the anode hole for a bit so tank is dry.
The water heater tank is never completely dry, there is a small portion below the drain hole that retains some water. It's not enough to cause a problem when it freezes though.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 08:50 PM   #22

Every RV dealership I have been at in the last 12 years has had plenty of work in the spring from people that only blow out their system. Many have told me they have done it for years with no problems until this time. This year we had a high end coach that froze and broke with the Aqua Hot ruined and most of the plumbing as well. That repair bill was well over 10 grand. We will change a couple dozen broken water pumps each year and several rolls of new Pex tubing will be spliced in this keeps many shops busy every spring. The fact is you can't blow the water out of very many units anymore there is just too many spots that will hold water and break. If this coming winter is anything like last winter we will once again see way too many units froze and broke. Learn to do a good rinse and sanitize in the spring and use the pink stuff. For those who want a fast easy system the new Jayco's are super easy to winterize and dewinterize.
1mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 09:18 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
I gravity drain, then let the freshwater pump do the rest, and then add case of pink stuff to the freshwater tank. Total cost $18. I then let the pink stuff run through all the faucets and down the drains. If you are going to blow out and pour down the drains, you might as well let it go through the faucets, toilet, and shower too. I also make sure to burp the city inlet fitting and pump pink stuff through the black tank flush. I leave the pink stuff in the black, grey and freshwater tanks. Then open all the faucet valves to leave room for any potential expansion. Yes, faucets open!... But that's another whole discussion.

I don't trust just blowing.
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 05:42 AM   #24

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One other item.. I have had one plumbing failure in this RV,, as I said the first year I used PINK, and when spring came one of the water lines under the sink had separated from the compression fitting on the faucet, No parts were needed but it was a mel-of-a-hess to clean up, thankfully it was bleach water which does not support mold and mildew like plain water will, (Also the cleanest that floor has ever been when I was done) but.. Well, folks,,,, After that I use air and never have had a problem since.
Old 11-01-2014, 06:09 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Those who use air only and claim no issues probably have no issues or perhaps they have some plumbing leaks caused from freezing but are not aware because the water is staying out of sight and slowly rotting or growing mold in your unit. Using the pump is the easiest way to detect small leaks. If it comes on briefly intermittently then you have a leak. I use the pink stuff.
georgetown350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:12 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mainiac View Post
Every RV dealership I have been at in the last 12 years has had plenty of work in the spring from people that only blow out their system. Many have told me they have done it for years with no problems until this time. This year we had a high end coach that froze and broke with the Aqua Hot ruined and most of the plumbing as well. That repair bill was well over 10 grand. We will change a couple dozen broken water pumps each year and several rolls of new Pex tubing will be spliced in this keeps many shops busy every spring. The fact is you can't blow the water out of very many units anymore there is just too many spots that will hold water and break. If this coming winter is anything like last winter we will once again see way too many units froze and broke. Learn to do a good rinse and sanitize in the spring and use the pink stuff. For those who want a fast easy system the new Jayco's are super easy to winterize and dewinterize.
Exactly why I blow out, run a single gallon or two of pink stuff through and blow out again. If you have an Aqua Hot the only safe method is to make sure it gets plenty of pink stuff. They are way too expensive to take the risk.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 08:38 AM   #27

Someone said they use a shop vac to remove remaining water from the WH tank. Please tell me how to construct a 5/8" OD suction tube to access the anode rod hole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mainiac View Post
Isn't the AquaHot system supposed to be filled with their special antifreeze mixture? I've never seen one that isn't.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 09:02 AM   #28

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Isn't the AquaHot system supposed to be filled with their special antifreeze mixture? I've never seen one that isn't.
Not totally familiar with the AquaHot, but the antifreeze loop is probably for the coach heating side. The domestic hot water HAS to have fresh water running through the exchanger, and that is what would freeze and damage the unit.