Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2014, 12:09 PM   #43

Freightliner Owners Club
If I had to put the pink in my fresh water holding tank I wouldn't use pink! When we bought our MH the first thing I did was was put a two way valve in front of the fresh water pump with a foot and a half of hose so I can suck the pink right out of the jug. Easy..peezee and it flushes completely out once hooked back up to fresh water without any after taste. If your putting the pink into your freshwater holding tank I'm sure you'll have the pink taste for quite some time.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2014, 12:16 PM   #44
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'll say it again. Unless you love that sweet sickening taste of pink, use VODKA! I have been doing it for years.

1. Doesn't freeze.
2. And most important, no taste.
3. Sanitizes.
4. Party in the Spring.

But..........if you do love the taste of pink, enjoy.

2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 12:26 PM   #45

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by csrrsr View Post
If I had to put the pink in my fresh water holding tank I wouldn't use pink! When we bought our MH the first thing I did was was put a two way valve in front of the fresh water pump with a foot and a half of hose so I can suck the pink right out of the jug. Easy..peezee and it flushes completely out once hooked back up to fresh water without any after taste. If your putting the pink into your freshwater holding tank I'm sure you'll have the pink taste for quite some time.
I agree with you concerning not putting the pink into the fresh water tank, just like the water heater it is just too easy to empty completely.

As for the rest of the lines, I have found that using any pink with "ethanol" (usually the cheap pink stuff) causes the pink taste. Look for the pink with propylene glycol as the main ingredient, it leaves no after-taste.

Both ways work, no sense in trying to convince anybody which is best. Actually, the best way was pointed out to me (was it you, Mel??), simply move south!

Bruce
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 12:39 PM   #46

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by csrrsr View Post
I installed that set up on my last motorhome and it worked like a charm and only used a couple of gallons of the pink stuff. One day I'll get around to installing one of those kits in this one and maybe save $10 to winterize. Doesn't really matter much about the taste, since the DW won't drink tank or CG water. She doesn't feel it's healthy. I'm not going to argue wth her, because I'm not going to win anyway... We buy cases of cheap bottled water and use them to make coffee and for occasional drinking. Same with ice... we buy ice even though we have an ice maker...
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 01:13 PM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
Move south. If not I use air and pink. Life is too short to spend it replacing lines, fittings and valves.

Does not take long to hook up the water and flush out the lines. Park beside the lawn, run the hose out and let-er rip. Grass seems to like the pink.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:33 PM   #48
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebug5 View Post

As for the rest of the lines, I have found that using any pink with "ethanol" (usually the cheap pink stuff) causes the pink taste. Look for the pink with propylene glycol as the main ingredient, it leaves no after-taste.

Bruce

Like I said previously, Prestone RV antifreeze does not have the disgusting smell, or taste. You can get it at Walmart too. Just a buck a gallon more.
Old 11-05-2014, 09:21 PM   #49

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebug5 View Post
Good morning, Tim.

I used to follow your procedure exactly, until a friend asked why I was duplicating the process. Most folks use one over the other, and since I like keeping everything lubed all year, I just dropped the air compressor procedure. The process of pumping the antifreeze thru the lines pushes the water out, so am I missing something, what is your reason for doing both?

Thanks in advance for any advice, never too late for me to learn something!

Bruce
Anal retentive I've been told.
Just like the lawn the neighbor's tell me instead of mowing I am vacuuming the lawn. I would hate to have a pipe burst just to save a buck. It can and has been 30-45 below in the winter up here. I also run each faucet till the pink comes out same with the toilet and WH and the water pump gets filled too. I flush the system out a few times in the spring, and have never tasted the pink stuff.
Jmo, though,Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 03:42 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
Just like the lawn the neighbor's tell me instead of mowing I am vacuuming the lawn. I would hate to have a pipe burst just to save a buck. It can and has been 30-45 below in the winter up here. I also run each faucet till the pink comes out same with the toilet and WH and the water pump gets filled too. I flush the system out a few times in the spring, and have never tasted the pink stuff.
Jmo, though,Tim
If it really gets that cold where you live you are very close to the Pink stuff freezing. It is only good to -50f
Old 11-06-2014, 05:22 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
Like I said previously, Prestone RV antifreeze does not have the disgusting smell, or taste. You can get it at Walmart too. Just a buck a gallon more.
This is good to know. Most look for an alternative to the pink stuff because of lingering taste. Most, me included, probably thought all pink stuff was the same chemistry.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 07:16 AM   #52

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
Jmo, though,Tim
Thanks, Tim. I, too, am a lifetime member of the Type-A club! Maybe that explains my membership with the "Pink Stuff" club, also. . .

I thought it got cold here in Colorado, you can keep the 30-45 below! That is just tooooo cold, never even thought about the pink freezing.

Bruce
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 07:44 AM   #53

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
StevieG
Based on my personal experience I can tell you that 2 gallons, (or more), of water left in a fresh water tank and allowed to freeze will not hurt anything, (even in sustained sub zero temps).
However, letting a FULL tank freeze solid is a different story.
Mel
'96 Safari
Mel, the issue with leaving 2 gallons of water in the freshwater tank occurs when you follow the manufacturer's directions of putting 5 gallons of the pink stuff in there. Now you've diluted the stuff enough to cut it's effectiveness down to 75%. Then when you run and leave the diluted stuff in the lines, and we have a cold winter like we get here in upstate NY, it's a recipe for disaster...

The best way to winterize (IMO) is to run the pink stuff from just before the freshwater pump and not through the FW tank... Although that is the way I'm doing it now.
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:28 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyorancher View Post
If it really gets that cold where you live you are very close to the Pink stuff freezing. It is only good to -50f
wyorancher
CLOSE "doesn't count" when it comes to freezing!
CLOSE to 32 degrees F will NOT freeze water....
CLOSE to -50 F will NOT freeze "good to -50f pink stuff".
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 11-06-2014, 08:41 PM   #55

Go pink, taste just like chicken
Old 11-06-2014, 08:59 PM   #56

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Very funny I still have never had the taste after flushing the system out in the spring, that's so far away
Tim

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote