Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2015, 09:19 PM   #1

To store batteries or not to store

Wondering if I should pull and store just the engine battery for winter.

Or pull and store Engine battery and two deep cycle coach batteries for winter.

Or none?

Live in Saint Paul MN. Gets pretty cold here. Last year I just left the rig plugged in and occasionally started and ran the engine and generator for a while. Seemed to be fine. But wondering if the batteries will last longer if stored for winter in above freezing temps.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2015, 09:38 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dano726 View Post

Or none?

Live in Saint Paul MN. Gets pretty cold here. Last year I just left the rig plugged in and occasionally started and ran the engine and generator for a while. Seemed to be fine. But wondering if the batteries will last longer if stored for winter in above freezing temps.
Well it's best if you can take them inside the house or heated garage or basement . They will last aslot longer if u take them out completely.
Mrbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 09:52 PM   #3

Triple E Owners Club
I am north of you in Manitoba. I pull all of my batteries every winter.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:58 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodK View Post
I am north of you in Manitoba. I pull all of my batteries every winter.
Do you start your generator occasionally in the winter and if so, how?
Old 11-26-2015, 06:19 AM   #5

Lead acid batteries in good condition will not be damaged by cold temps. They will not freeze. Batteries are much more susceptible to damage by hot temps. Starting your MH engine and and or generator letting it idle for a while is worse than not starting it at all. If you start your generator you should run it with an electrical load for an hour or two. If you start our MH engine you should drive it for at least a half hour. These subjects have been discussed many times on this forum and elsewhere. You will find lots of information on these subjects on the web.
AKJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 06:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKJohn View Post
Lead acid batteries in good condition will not be damaged by cold temps. They will not freeze. Batteries are much more susceptible to damage by hot temps. Starting your MH engine and and or generator letting it idle for a while is worse than not starting it at all. If you start your generator you should run it with an electrical load for an hour or two. If you start our MH engine you should drive it for at least a half hour. These subjects have been discussed many times on this forum and elsewhere. You will find lots of information on these subjects on the web.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 07:07 AM   #7

AKJohn\Bigd9
You two aren't serious, right ?!?!
BCRacing24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 07:18 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:

Or none?

Do you have a converter/battery maintainer that keeps the batteries charged while it is plugged in? If so, make sure the water level is OK, plug it in........and check the water levels in the batteries half way through the winter on a nice day. As far as starting things when it is outside/cold.......to run it -No. Let it just sleep till spring, or if you have a preference to start things and run them.......that is your choice of course.
Old 11-26-2015, 10:35 AM   #9

Clean the tops of all your batteries, check electrolyte levels. Then fully charge the batteries. Then disconnect the ground leads and leave the batteries in the coach until spring. You are not doing the batteries any favor by putting them in a heated area. Cold temps actually slow the self discharge that is a characteristic of lead acid batteries.
Also don't run your engine or generator unless you are going to really give them some use.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 01:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCRacing24 View Post
AKJohn\Bigd9
You two aren't serious, right ?!?!
Not sure I understand the question.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 01:55 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
A few years ago we inherited a 3000 tree CO peach orchard with a number of pieces of farm equipment. I bought two Battery Minder float chargers. Each one will handle 4 batteries at one time. I pulled the batteries from all of the equipment except the big tractor and connected the Battery Minder to it via a connector. Everything was in an unheated outbuilding. It gets down to -20 F or less sometimes here. Worked fine for several years before we sold the orchard.
Old 11-26-2015, 03:41 PM   #12

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Do you start your generator occasionally in the winter and if so, how?

No I just let it sit for the winter. It can get really cold here and occasional running can just cause condensation problems. So far no problems doing this.
Old 11-26-2015, 05:40 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well... When I did the winter storage I did a bit of research.

First Damon gave me a Progressive Dynamics 9180 with wizard.. I better converter is not, far as I can tell, made (And I looked hard)

Second.. I had power to the storage pad.

So I just plugged in and let the 9100 plus the BIRD take care of things. Which it did very well.

Now that I'm full time. Storage is no longer an issue.

IF you have power but a not-so-good converter (say a Parallex 7300) or not BIRD or equal.. Horrible Freight has a nice little auto-float job.. Bit anemic for the house but might just keep em up Or a Battery Minder, or Battery Tender (Somewhat larger and more expensive)
Old 11-27-2015, 06:08 AM   #14

To store batteries or not to store

BigD9

Starting your MH engine & generator and allowing them to idle for awhile is worse than Not starting all winter.....

I don't agree with that at all.
BCRacing24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries