Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2006, 08:12 AM   #43
PDB

Freddy,
Have you looked into the M&G Engineering system? It comes closer to what you are looking for.
Paul

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd
PDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2006, 08:33 AM   #44

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have used the M&G Engineering system for over 10 years and on two toads and two gas mhs.
This is as simple a proportional braking system and trouble free as it gets! Easy enough for a DIY. Company is good to work with and very helpful. No braking issues with either toad or combo.

Old 08-25-2006, 04:12 AM   #45

There are laws in most states that require units in tow to have aux brakes...In CA a towed lunit that is designed to carry passenger or load that weighs over 1500 lbs is required to have its own braking system...so a car in tow (which can carry passenger or load) is required..Remember some sharp attorney who represents the person you run into and who notices you are towing illegally will cost you more than an aux braking unit

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
kenbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 09:01 AM   #46

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PDB:
Freddy,
Have you looked into the M&G Engineering system? It comes closer to what you are looking for.
Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I looked into all of them and decided on the Roadmaster "Even Brake." Got it for a great price on E-Bay.

Installation was simple except for the switch to disconnect the brake light whenever the "Even Brake" is activated. Since I get brake lights from the RV connection I had to install a toggle switch to disconnect the brake switch in the toad to avoid getting 24vdc to the brake lights.

That seems simple enough to do, but the wire that I had to access was well hidden, short and difficult to reach. Took a couple of days of hunting, and trying to get my big body squeezed between the seat and dash under the steering wheel. That, plus trying to keep my eyes focused through tri-focals was the most difficult part.
Old 08-28-2006, 05:22 PM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Freddy:
I looked into all of them and decided on the Roadmaster "Even Brake." Got it for a great price on E-Bay.

Installation was simple except for the switch to disconnect the brake light whenever the "Even Brake" is activated. Since I get brake lights from the RV connection I had to install a toggle switch to disconnect the brake switch in the toad to avoid getting 24vdc to the brake lights.

That seems simple enough to do, but the wire that I had to access was well hidden, short and difficult to reach. Took a couple of days of hunting, and trying to get my big body squeezed between the seat and dash under the steering wheel. That, plus trying to keep my eyes focused through tri-focals was the most difficult part. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did the same thing and had the fun with the trifocals, too. I haven't been under the dashboard of a car since before bifocals. I am also having trouble with the monitor telling me the brake lights don't work, which I don't care about. I am in contqact Roadmaster to get this figured out.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:06 AM   #48

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mrschwarz:
I am also having trouble with the monitor telling me the brake lights don't work, which I don't care about. I am in contqact Roadmaster to get this figured out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I didn't use the switch that came with the Even Brake. Instead, I installed a toggle switch that I can throw to isolate the brake light switch. The monitor does tell me (don't recall exact wording) that the brake light switch is not detected, but then goes on to work properly.

Please let me know what Roadmaster figures out for you!!
Old 08-29-2006, 07:27 PM   #49
jfb

Several years ago, Canada and Brake Buddy got a lot of play when Canada stated (?) that Brake Buddy was "adequate" for Canada's purposes, what ever that meant. That being said, I think that all of us should think more of potential civil liability rather than local legal requirements for adequate aux. braking. Case in point: You're tooling down the highway, without adequate aux. braking, fat, dumb and happy, within speed limits and a car-load of ------- workers runs a stop sign and you, not being able to stop in time, T-bone them. The local investigating officer does not cite you because you were within limits and they ran the stop sign. Case closed???? Picture, a couple of years later, the affected families secures a smart lawyer who questions the abilities of your equipment to reasonably stop in time. If you cannot prove that you had reasonably provided for such emergencies, hired guns for the plaintiffs could rip you apart in terms responsibilities for civil liabilities. It has happened, in terms far beyond of what many of us have as coverage......
Old 08-31-2006, 09:53 AM   #50

Tested the "Even Brake" this morning. Got the toad hooked up, installed the brake and everything tested fine. I thought it should work if I pressed the brake pedal in the MH while at idle. But, it didn't!

Finally decided that perhaps I needed to be rolling for it to work. Sure enough, worked like a charm.

I've got so many "toys" in the "cockpit" that require a 12vdc source! Gotta find my multiple plugs, or buy some new ones!