Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2014, 02:48 PM   #15

If you cannot find the 2 part try napa as they may be able to order it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2014, 01:40 AM   #16

I need to look but I think I still have the special ford tools for changing the heater hoses or heater core. If you need them I will lend them to you.

stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 09:29 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by stink View Post
I need to look but I think I still have the special ford tools for changing the heater hoses or heater core. If you need them I will lend them to you.
Much appreciated. I hope I'm not going to have to get to that point. I'll keep it in mind.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:51 PM   #18

Wow, after about 100 gallons or so of flushing, I'm still getting very muddy water. I've run a garden hose into the filler cap side, opened the petcock, turned the heater on high and just let it run.

I'm on the second Prestone flush bottle that was in the system for about 3 hours each time.

I picked up some Zerex Super Flush that is going in next if I don't get clear water in the next 30 minutes. It's running right now in the driveway...sheesh, this thing must have a lot of built up sediment...
Old 03-31-2014, 08:10 PM   #19

Modify process...

Yours is really dirty and possible not getting good flow in engine.

You may need to stop engine and also locate block drain if it has one.

You may not be getting good flow in block.

If you can drain all of the water out it may help.

The gotcha then is you need to monitor water until thermostat opens so you can add more.

Or you have a ton of garbage in there.

If block is aluminum you cannot use lye or a few other strong things.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:59 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Bolt View Post
Wow, after about 100 gallons or so of flushing, I'm still getting very muddy water. I've run a garden hose into the filler cap side, opened the petcock, turned the heater on high and just let it run.

I'm on the second Prestone flush bottle that was in the system for about 3 hours each time.

I picked up some Zerex Super Flush that is going in next if I don't get clear water in the next 30 minutes. It's running right now in the driveway...sheesh, this thing must have a lot of built up sediment...
Might be trying to water a dead rose. You may not get clear coolant unless you remove and disassemble engine and clean in a hot tank. The engines have a nasty habit of filling up with rust around the cylinders in the water jacket in the engine block. The more you flush, the more rust you loosten and this turns the coolant muddy.
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:55 PM   #21

I think this may be the case. I've run one last treatment through and will let it stay until tomorrow and then I'll call it done and add the coolant.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:34 AM   #22

Any chance that you mixed coolant types? It is advised that one coolant type be used, and for the 93 Ford a conventional coolant was used at the factory and would be the OEM recommended choice for refilling after your flush. The problem is that these coolants can be a little hard to find! Examples that might be in the market are: (official recommendation first) Ford Green-colored engine coolant meeting Ford specification ESE-M97B44-A (Motorcraft® Premium Engine Coolant, VC-5 and VC-5-B (in USA) / Premium Quality Antifreeze / Coolant, CXC-10 (in Canada), Zerex Original, Old World "Full Force" or original PEAK brands. You can also use a conventional fully-formulated heavy-duty such as Old World FleetCharge, Fleetguard ES Compleat or Alliance coolants. You might be using that kind of coolant in your diesel system. It meets the gasoline engine requirements as well (ASTM D3306). Whatever coolant you choose, avoid mixing different technologies and don't trust the coolant color to guide you!
Old 04-08-2014, 04:04 PM   #23

After the fourth treatment with Zerex super, the radiator looked clean as a whistle from the fill cap opening. I'd imagine that I'm dealing the a sediment buildup in the bottom of the engine block and/or radiator.

I'm halfway tempted to knock out the three engine block freeze plugs I can see, fab up some kind of small water wand and really try and flush any and all sediments. Not sure what kind of long term payoff this would actually provide.

After the long flushes, I just put the Prestone green fluid in.

Tags
radiator, toad