Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2005, 11:45 AM   #1

Has anyone had a toad wired (with separate wires and bulbs) for a Winnie with the amber turn signals and then switch to another MH that doesn't have amber signals. Our toad is in this category. The toad separate bulbs worked fine on the Journey but will not work on the HR. According to the manuals the toad connections at the back are wired identically. When I got my tow package an adaptor was needed and it installed by an Itasca dealer who sold us the package. Now, it doesn't work. Initially the running/marker lights worked, the left signal and brake - but NOT the right signal and brake.

I've tried changing the wires around but nothing has worked. Anyone else encounter this when switching from a Winnie with amber lights? If you did, how did you solve the problem?

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2005, 11:45 AM   #2

Has anyone had a toad wired (with separate wires and bulbs) for a Winnie with the amber turn signals and then switch to another MH that doesn't have amber signals. Our toad is in this category. The toad separate bulbs worked fine on the Journey but will not work on the HR. According to the manuals the toad connections at the back are wired identically. When I got my tow package an adaptor was needed and it installed by an Itasca dealer who sold us the package. Now, it doesn't work. Initially the running/marker lights worked, the left signal and brake - but NOT the right signal and brake.

I've tried changing the wires around but nothing has worked. Anyone else encounter this when switching from a Winnie with amber lights? If you did, how did you solve the problem?

Thanks

Old 09-04-2005, 12:06 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
dleslie125;
You did not state if your adapter was installed on your former coach or on your toad. If the adapter is installed on the toad then you will have to bypass the adapter. Having seperate bulbs in stead of diodes does not change the connection.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 01:59 PM   #4

Don, it was on the former coach. I've been wondering if the dealer who did it perhaps changed the allocation to the pins but that doesn't seem to be the case. I've got a 7 connector plug and a 4 connector plug on the HR. I bought a test plug today and the lights all went on properly for the four plug. I used a multimeter to see if there was power coming through the 7 connector by connecting negative to ground and positive to running lights, then positive to left turn + brake light and the to right turn and brake light - all showed good voltage.

I'm now wondering if there is a ground problem somewhere along the line - perhaps in the toad. Can I safely connect the ground from the vehicle to the negative on the battery then try each of the other 3 wires to the positive to see if in fact the toad lights are working (although they did work ok last week on the Journey).

I'm far from an electrical type. My dealer didn't do our toad package (they prefer the diode approach) and it was done with separate bulbs. If the worst comes to worst I may have to get a separate set of toad lights (magnetic) for a rally we head to next weekend in Michigan.

Don
Old 09-04-2005, 06:31 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
dleslie125;
I would connect a jumper wire from a good ground on the coach to a good ground on the toad. You could than use a jumper from a known power cource on your coach and locate the individual wires that go to your L & R signals and the tail lights. Be carefull you don't attach the power source to the toad ground or you will have fire works and probably a blown fuse.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 11:00 AM   #6

Don, I decided to use the 4 connector and turns out it works fine. That made me suspect that the HR receiver and the Winnie plug may have been just a bit different. I diconnected all four wires in the big plug, then put them back on the same contacts but just a little differently (don't think that made a difference just more secure) and then at the tip of the plub using a screw driver bent the contacts inward. Then connected to the MH and everything works perfectly.

My guess?? Well, I was looking at an RV trouble shooting web page and the advisor kept saying, politely in so many words "it is the ground dummy." My guess is that the ground contacts in the plug and receiver were not making dancing together properly. Basically the plug is Winnie and the receiver HR. Now, they are getting along fine. Hindsight being 20/20 I should have twisted all the contacts in the Winnie plug to make sure they fit really tight with the HR receiver.

DW thinks I learned from this effort. Have to agree I did. But I really didn't need too.

Thanks for the feedback.