Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2016, 02:49 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Toilet area replacement

I've never understood the concept of putting carpet in a bathroom, but especially around the toilet. Seems a lot of RV manufactures have done just that over the years though. Maybe it's just the cheap and easy solution, but it still doesn't seem to be a very good idea.

Our motorhome is coming up on its 15th birthday, and I'm assuming it has had the dreaded carpet covered platform under the toilet for the whole time (we're the second owners). In any case, the carpet wasn't as fresh as it probably once was, and cleaning it didn't seem to do much good. So I figured maybe the seal under the toilet was leaking, and pulled the toilet to investigate.

That's the way it looked when we bought the motorhome, but the only thing we had changed to this point was getting rid of the blue toilet cover and blue rug.

Anyway, the seal under the toilet was old obviously, but didn't appear to be leaking. The carpet still smelled though and needed to go. The wife and I also didn't care for the height of the toilet. At just over 20", it was uncomfortable for either of us to use. It was simply too tall and the forward edge of the seat seemed to cut into the back or our legs. So, time for a complete replacement.

I removed the old carpeted platform, and built a lower platform. This one is made from maple and walnut, and compliments the natural interior colors of the rest of the coach fairly well.

I did have to build a special box on the side for the furnace duct, but that also made a handy place to mount a new trash can holder.

The trash can wasn't sold as a trash can though. I wanted a small plastic can with a lid that would be easy to use and clean, but wouldn't take up too much room. This thing fit the bill perfectly.

We're both very happy with the way it turned out. The smelly carpet is gone, the toilet seat height is now at about 16.5", which is much more comfortable for both of us, and we think it looks nicer now as well.

We used the Dometic 310 china bowl toilet with sprayer for this project. It was very reasonably priced through tweety's, had the deep china bowl we wanted, and had great reviews.

Now I just have to make a sign to hang behind the toilet to remind all firing range participants, that all rounds will be fired from the seated position...

Happy travels!
Chevyguy1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2016, 03:05 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
That's a great improvement over the old set-up. Looks great.

Welcome to the forum!
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 03:24 PM   #3

That is a great, great job!
allegro36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 06:37 AM   #4

Awesome job. Nice craftsmanship
motohomo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, replacement, toilet