Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-21-2012, 11:41 PM   #1
toilet bowl cleaner?

What do you use that doesn't kill the black water digesters?

bmrzmrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2012, 06:42 AM   #2
Newmar Owners Club
Blackwater tank is a HOLDING tank, and not a septic system as some folks think. A residential septic system does indeed digest (break down) effluent from the sewage system over time but still requires occasional pumping out since not all waste is broken down. The portion of effluent in a residential septic system that IS broken down into a liquid slurry is drained out and distributed into the septic field where rain, septic field aggregate, and earth filter it over time.

While the holding tanks in our RV's do naturally undergo minimal "digesting", such breakdown is not integral to the correct, intended use of these tanks. As such, toilet cleaning chemicals are not a significant issue. I'd be more concerned with the effect such cleaning agents have on the hard surfaces of the toilet bowl and pipe systems.

At least that what I believe.

2014 Newmar 3103 BAYSTAR/Triton V10 w. Banks/05 Honda Element toad
Chickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 06:53 AM   #3
Winnebago Owners Club
Use what you use at home (except I wouldn't use abrasive cleaners on a plastic toilet)...the amount you're going to use to clean the bowl will be insignificant.
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul
LindaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:03 AM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We keep a bottle of biodegradable cleaner (Mrs Meyers Clean Day) in the cabinet. Once every day or two, about a capful in the toilet water, quick swish with the brush and done.

We use plenty of water, before and after "use", so nothing clings to the bowl normally.
Life rocks when your house rolls
Senior Chief
& the Cheese Queen

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:26 AM   #5
I use just a little bit of CLR mixed with water, and every time (over several hours) I pass the toilet, I give the whole bowl a little switch with the bowl brush.

I have found out over the years, as a full-timer, that there is indeed digestion going on in the holding tank and that knowledge precipitates its use.

A little CLR has not destroyed the chemical action from continuing, but the use of bleach can disrupt the process, and allow the dreaded stink, even to the extent that if I smell a high chlorine content in a fresh water fill, I will not use that water for the bowl.

I stop my dumps when the tank is near empty so as to save a little of the active contents, and never, ever, "clean out" my black tank. I note again that this is one full timers method and not applicable to weekend, or casual RV use.

USN Ret.
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:39 AM   #6
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
spray the bowl with pam cooking spray and things will tend not to stick and stain.
1999 Winnebago Minnie 29', Ford V10, Close to stock.
W4MBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:43 AM   #7
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We use Lysol and have never had any problems.
Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Florida (Winter)
Steve N Sal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:10 AM   #8
In my 5th wheel, I used vinagar. I use it in the house as well. Also cleans glass top stoves in the house very nicely.
I just bought the M/H, but will more then likely use it in there as well. No harmful chems., the acid removed scum and soap residue. cleans my shower door from stains.
wb6epp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:43 AM   #9
Entegra Owners Club
Thetford makes a toilet bowl cleaner that is safe for plastic and rubber seals.
Warren & Judy
2015 Entegra Anthem 44B
Ozarkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:15 AM   #10
Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
The manual to my Sea Land toilet says do not use abrasives (Comet, Soft Scrub), or caustic chemicals (Drano) or lubricants or cleaners containing alcohols or petroleum distillates (Pam, Pine Sol, WD 40, etc).
2014 American Eagle 45T
DD 500
Pulling a Honda CRV
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:39 AM   #11
A little Simple Green works for me...
John, Deb; & our dog, Benji, Forever in our hearts.
2014 Coachmen Leprechaun 319DS V-10
2011 Jeep Liberty Jet & 2014 Jeep Wrangler
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:14 AM   #12
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by bmrzmrs View Post
What do you use that doesn't kill the black water digesters?
Since I dump the tank looong before any 'digesting' occurs, I don't worry about it. We do use a occasional splash of the 'green' deodorizer/cleaner.
Wretched excess is just barely enough.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:16 AM   #13
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by Cat320
The manual to my Sea Land toilet says do not use abrasives (Comet, Soft Scrub), or caustic chemicals (Drano) or lubricants or cleaners containing alcohols or petroleum distillates (Pam, Pine Sol, WD 40, etc).
Mine too.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:44 PM   #14
Alpine Owners Club
Try baking soda. Enough 'grit' to effectively clean, plus it is good for your tank. In fact baking soda is good to put down all of the drains - and if a little slow, flow with a little vinegar.

Barbara & David O'Keeffe
Figment II (Alpine 2002 36 MDDS)
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote