Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2014, 05:30 PM   #1

Toilet burping question?.

Having a problem with the toilet burping water up when I push the pedal down to flush. The tank has been emptied but still a problem. My thought is that the vent is not operational and it is trying to vent through the toilet as soon as I push the pedal down. I also am getting odor from it when I flush which also makes me think the vent is the issue. Does anyone else agree or have any other thoughts? If the vent is plugged how would one clean it out?

Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2014, 06:48 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I would suspect the vent also. The burp is probably a bit of a gas build-up.

AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 07:24 PM   #3

yep is a vent issue odds are you have a birds nest in a vent cap or something similar.

To clean it you have a couple options up on the roof there should be 2 mushroom caps remove them usually 3 screws hold the cover look at the stand pipe coming up if it is too long the cap will plug it off. If that is the problem use a saw to shorten the pipe a bit and replace the cap. If the cap is damaged replace the cap. Now if you find nothing wrong you have to see which is the black and which is the gray. In the shop I would stick a hose down one and run a little water if the water goes down ok run some more and chk your monitor to see which tank is filling. If you filling the black tank stop and go flush the toilet with the cap removed. if it still burps you have a problem in the tank like the vent pipe may stick too far into the tank but that would of happened from the time it was installed. Another issue that can happen is the pipe may have been running horizontal for a section and that section if filled with water will obstruct the vent like a p trap.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:44 AM   #4

The vent is the prime suspect since it's purpose is to prevent that problem. There are several good suggestions but one that I have seen more than once is that the vent pipe came loose from the point where it attaches to the tank top and had slipped down into the tank. Sometimes that slip is only inches and so it don't burp until nearing the top and at other times it may slip all of the way to the bottom of the tank.

The best way to check is to remove the vent cap on the top and look to see where the upper end of the vent pipe is. The vent caps just slip over the top of the pipe and have no connection so it is frequently the connection of the pipe to the tank top that supports all of the pipe weight. If that connection is not solid it will break in time and slip into the tank, causing the issue that you have.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:52 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I would think pulling the vent cap and taking a look-see may well be in order.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:57 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had the toilet burping problem a while ago. It got steadily worse until one day, to my horror, I could see the peak of the "brown mountain of doom" in the drain pipe. The cause turned out to be a combination of things: I was dumping the tanks on a time schedule instead of waiting until the black tank was almost full, and I was not using any chemicals in the tank. After I had removed the brown mountain (let's not go there), started using chemicals and adjusted the dumping schedule, I've never had the problem again.
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 12:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
I had the toilet burping problem a while ago. It got steadily worse until one day, to my horror, I could see the peak of the "brown mountain of doom" in the drain pipe. The cause turned out to be a combination of things: I was dumping the tanks on a time schedule instead of waiting until the black tank was almost full, and I was not using any chemicals in the tank. After I had removed the brown mountain (let's not go there), started using chemicals and adjusted the dumping schedule, I've never had the problem again.

LOL just a side note how much would you charge to come over and remove the brown mountain from a coach LOL we could use you for service calls LOL
Old 08-10-2014, 02:21 PM   #8

Thank you for all the suggestions. I will climb up and see what is going on with the top of the vent and report back. There are two vents side by side. One has the mushroom cap and one has a shark fin swivel type. I would assume the fin type vent is for the black water. This coach is new to us so I am not sure if that vent is factory or someone installed it somewhere along the way.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:37 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with "bdickson". I had a similar problem in my MH and for the same reasons as he described.