Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2013, 06:18 PM   #1

toilet clog

We have this coach for one year and have never had problems with the toilet or with dumping. Suddenly yesterday the toilet clogged up, so my husband used a plunger and it went down. we thought it was fixed. now this morning we have the clog again, we used the plunger, but I knew this was something more. the rv tech came and there was a huge wad of paper which was blocking the tank, he used a snake and completely cleaned out the whole tank, future instructions, used loads of water when using toilet tissue and when you dump black tank, run water into it and flush it out a lot. I couldn't believe how much stuff was left in there, we got a clean connection and believe me you want to have one, so you will know that it is clear.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2013, 06:23 PM   #2

Lots of water, septic approved toilet paper, and never never dump until the tank is at least 2/3 full.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:29 PM   #3

There has been million ways discussed on this subject here. Using a little water and the right toilet paper and you won't have clogs. Rinsing a few times is what it takes to remove most but not all of contents of your black tank. Black Tanks are like snowflakes as no two of them clean out the same . I've Camped/Boondocked for years in our Deserts so we learned to conserve water and never used "lots" and I never ever had 1 clog and neither has all the other people who Camp with us.
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:37 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If your toilet is on a raised platform most likely the tank is off set from the toilet and the pipe from toilet to top of tank will collect paper and "'do do" and if not cleared will dry out and harden possibly.
As mentioned septic paper and lots of water when flushing and leave the tank valve closed until its 3/4 full. If you have a tank rinse the water may not get into the off set piping.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:55 PM   #5

And no white rats.(feminine product). The strings will also rap around motors plus stop up pipe.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:16 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Test your toilet paper, put a single sheet in a glass of water, and give it a quick stir with a butter knife. It should fall apart. I know "Angel Soft" passes this test. There are other brands too. Toilet paper that falls apart is less likely to clog. I use a clear extension with my maceator pump and see the shreds of paper passing through.

A good rinse using this helps too. I like this flush nozzle because there no moving parts to break. The piece that is inside of the tank has holes drilled in it to create a spray. I tested mine before I installed it.

Valterra A70 No-Fuss Flush with Check Valve : Amazon.com : Automotive
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:43 AM   #7

Bwahahaha!! Another keyboard almost lost to spitting coffee while reading....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
And no white rats.(feminine product)
Old 03-29-2013, 03:51 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
And no white rats.(feminine product). The strings will also rap around motors plus stop up pipe.
Its tough if one gets into a maceator and jams, believe me.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:49 AM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I would recommend you start using Happy Camper (no relation) black tank treatment. I have never seen anything that dissolves everything as well as this stuff does! Also, if you buy the largest container the cost per use will be much less than any other treatment out there. Below is a link.

Happy Camper - Odorless Holding Tank Treatment Black and Grey Water

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote