Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2008, 07:04 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok, the HR has a decent toilet, but its plastic and not as stable as it looks. I've checked the mounting and its fine. Here is the question, Is a China or porcelain toilet more stable? Arethey worth the money to replace mine? Any help is welcome

mountainkowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2008, 07:04 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok, the HR has a decent toilet, but its plastic and not as stable as it looks. I've checked the mounting and its fine. Here is the question, Is a China or porcelain toilet more stable? Arethey worth the money to replace mine? Any help is welcome

Old 01-17-2008, 07:41 PM   #3
jfb

We had a '92 plastic one that was "ok" except we experienced problems with the "gate" valve where material got lodged in the crevasses and caused the toilet to leak and go dry. We replaced the toilet three times over a 13-year period. But, I liked it because we could fill the bowl to get a better tank cleaning/flushing action. Now, we have the ceramic toilet which is "ok" except we can't fill the bowl to get a better flush. After all is said and done, I guess I'd recommend a change to the ceramic if/when you find it necessary to replace the original plastic toilet.... Make sense??
Old 01-17-2008, 07:41 PM   #4

My china toilet leaked around the bottom when we sat on it. We finally got a stabilizer kit (extra supports) which cured that problem. Note that only the bowl is china, the stand is still plastic and not that stable.

Also, toilet paper which touches the bowl becomes welded to it, so if you don't get it into the water, you have to manually remove it.

So not all china bowls are worth having.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:07 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
We have a Sealand Traveler with china bowl and it has performed very well. You can add water to the bowl by lifting up on the foot pedal. If you turn off the water, & polish the bowl with a good grade of automotive polish you will be amazed at how easy it is to keep clean and how much better it will flush.
Turn the water back on after polishing.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 04:04 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Either type of toilet will get clogged and not function correctly if you do not add extra water to the bowl such that the "product" and paper are floating prior to flushing. This also aids in the preventing of problems in the holding tank of solids build up.

As to your original question, china is more stable by nature. However, make sure that the stability problem you are concerned with is not the mounting as opposed to the materials.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:37 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the responces, I will be doing an in depth checking this weekend to see if there is a problem.
Old 01-19-2008, 03:56 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Since we're on the subject of toilets, I haven't had any problems with our Sealand China toilet but Fleetwood did kind of a crummy job of the piping between the toilet and the black tank. I guess due to the location of the black tank in relation to the toilet they had to put a kink in the black pipe. Sometimes, if you're not careful and don't flush with a whole bunch of water, the paper and 'you no what' gets stuck due to this bend in the black pipe. It's down about 18-inches or so and it makes it difficult to keep clean. I've had times when the only way to get the TP to go on down is to run a garden hose in and stuff it down the hole right up against the clog. Anyone else have any similar problems, and if so any ideas that one might be able to try to cure this problem?

It amazes me sometimes, as long as these manufacturers have been building these RV's why they get it right on one particular model then in a later model year they revert back to previous year problems that had been corrected.

Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote